Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Atrocious day. Season already cooked now.
Another top 3 pick will help.
Finn is a VFL player. Stop *ing playing him.
Super disappointing and I'm struggling to find a positive.
Mitchell needs to turn this around or he's in strife.

I totally agree with your last sentence. In STRIFE and only knows how to use one gear at the moment. Reverse.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This might sound overly positive, I thought the effort after quarter time was great from most.

Negatives
  • Our midfield mix just isn't up to it at the moment for some reason.
  • Connection/movement going into 50 looks off again. this seems to be a vision issue- a lot of missed opportunities to move the ball/change angles that weren't taken
  • Our set shot accuracy. This has kept us out of two games, I don't care what anyone says, this is our biggest flaw currently and I think it has cost us massive %.

Positives
  • Frenchie stepped up. Had several of those moments that reminded me of why we took him so high.
  • Wiz has had 3+ shots on goal in his first two games. The confidence will come, and with it will our scoreboard pressure. Kid is elite.
  • This goes against what a few others have posted, but I think we're starting to see some of the unsocial Hawks elements coming back in. Currently when we hit a player, we're hitting to hurt and to take them out. The problem is this isn't backed up with tackle pressure or intent to hunt the ball

I think we'll see changes going in to the next game. I'm not sure if Reeves will be out, but I'd imagine Finn as at least one change. Would like to see more of Ward and HH in the guts, I think they'll enable burst players like Newc and Worpel far more.

Weirdly, I take a lot of positives from that game and I'm expecting a far more combative game against Geelong.

Boys against men in the middle of the park, absolutely destroyed with no resistance whatsoever.

Not sure what Mitchell is doing, he's trying to play a high possession game with players simply not good enough to execute it.

Far too many ordinary footballers who make the same simple mistakes over and over again. Good luck to Mitchell cause with this list he's gonna need it.
The thing is it shouldn't be boys vs men in the midfield. Newk, Worpel and Nash are seasoned bodies.

Good to see Sicily back and involved. Watson extremely lively given the contest.

Expect more from the likes of Lewis, Nuke

Reeves, Maginness, Ward will count themselves lucky to be involved next week. Insipid…

Exactly, Meek is shocking, our ruck stock is the worst in the comp.
Yes Meek might not be up to it, but I like see him to be the one out Ruck for a 5-6 weeks straight, and see what he has to offer, Reeves to me hasn’t shown any progression and has had a lot games in row, if Meek shows nothing, any chance Chol as our No. 1 Ruck😳

It’s utterly amazing to me that posters can spend the days leading up to the game declaring that Gawn will have his way with Reeves and that Gawn will smash us, and then when he doesn’t the first person people want to see dropped, of all the players that failed today, is Gawn’s opponent.
Disagree - yes he was good at the centre clearances but Gawn ran rings around him when running forward or when he pushed back. He struggles to take contested marks each week despite towering over 90% of the players on the field. Is completely ineffective once the ball hits the ground

Send him back to Box Hill and give see if meek can offer more around the ground

The best list? Quite possibly yes.

The best team? You've got to be kidding. A poor culture head by a mediocre coach, riddled with drugs and sheer entitlement, and second-rate management. Their success comes off the back of years of early draft picks, accompanied by good fortune in trading, a once-in-a-generation ruckman, compromised scheduling, and umpiring that bizarrely favours teams wearing the colour blue. (Statistically, I sh!t thee not.)

They are an AFL basket case licking (or sniffing) the last of the ice-cream from the bottom of the bowl.
Never said any of that.

Said best named side on paper this week/round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might sound overly positive, I thought the effort after quarter time was great from most.

Negatives
  • Our midfield mix just isn't up to it at the moment for some reason.
  • Connection/movement going into 50 looks off again. this seems to be a vision issue- a lot of missed opportunities to move the ball/change angles that weren't taken
  • Our set shot accuracy. This has kept us out of two games, I don't care what anyone says, this is our biggest flaw currently and I think it has cost us massive %.

Positives
  • Frenchie stepped up. Had several of those moments that reminded me of why we took him so high.
  • Wiz has had 3+ shots on goal in his first two games. The confidence will come, and with it will our scoreboard pressure. Kid is elite.
  • This goes against what a few others have posted, but I think we're starting to see some of the unsocial Hawks elements coming back in. Currently when we hit a player, we're hitting to hurt and to take them out. The problem is this isn't backed up with tackle pressure or intent to hunt the ball

I think we'll see changes going in to the next game. I'm not sure if Reeves will be out, but I'd imagine Finn as at least one change. Would like to see more of Ward and HH in the guts, I think they'll enable burst players like Newc and Worpel far more.

Weirdly, I take a lot of positives from that game and I'm expecting a far more combative game against Geelong.
Thank you.

Alot of disconnected today and it really showed in D'Ambrosio and Mackenzies game. They are hardly alone in this respect but 2 I noticed. Maybe because I respect their disposal but today it seemed they were very reactive and unsure, could be they are young and playing a new system, I'm unsure, but it stood out.
Melbourne’s pressure was on today. Even the best users of the footy are susceptible to pressure. We need to get the point where we can bring defensive pressure consistently, we’re nowhere near it atm

We lost the tackles 73 to 50. This is a big margin for a team that lost by 10 goals. It is a startling stat and exposes some real issues about attitude and application. Have we turned into a Hollywood team? Are blokes more concerned with their weekly hairdo? Shampoo and hairspray?
90's revisited indeed, some of us experienced that vanilla and we never want to see that again.

Pretty tough day at the MCG - the sun was shining but nothing else was - we had more supporters, and were louder on the few occasions we had some highlights.
Melbourne supporters at the beach, rather than the snow?

I was with two other Hawks, and our joint opinions:

1. Worst Hawthorn performance since that game against Port (pre-Clarko?) when we didn’t score a goal until the 3rd quarter

2. Mitchell has no game plan - but the record number of possessions in the 50 defensive arc were good for our stats.

3. Melbourne aren’t that good: we just didn’t even test them

4. Mitchell interviews well on TV, something Clarko never did.

5. The coffee at the MCG is pretty decent.

Nothing else I can think of.

Sam Mitchell invests all our trades in the forward line and then has a chip chip chip 1st quarter plan. Soul destroying for fans and players.

Two weeks of shite sub selections. Make it 3, after Meek in last game 2023.

Needs to lift. His SEN appearances are going to be interesting in coming weeks

Mitchell can speak well, though it would be interesting if they ask him some pointed questions about the plan going into this game, and some of the baffling positional moves, etc.

He'd want to make friends with the media sorts and talking heads before they start coming for him, which will happen this season if we keep putting out these kinds of performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back