Remove this Banner Ad

Aish Pearce Walker
Clark Draper Ryan
Sharp Young JOM
Treacy Jackson Simpson
Walters Amiss Banfield
Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Emmett Hughes Taberner Fyfe Sub: Johnson

Do we have any defenders that we think could Darcy Byrne Jones it for a couple of weeks? (Or Nyhuis it)
We never tried Willo there and he snagged 5 in the WAFL last weekend lol
Clark. Honestly wouldn’t be a bad thing tbh.
He speed around the forward line would be needed. But he’s in career best form.
Would be the perfect game for Sturt to come in. How long is he out for? A week or two for Peel?

Clark and Aish are the obvious ones who we know can have a good ping at goal, particularly off a few steps since they can thump the ball. But we need them down back. Forwards need to just be better next week.

Clark and Aish are the obvious ones who we know can have a good ping at goal, particularly off a few steps since they can thump the ball. But we need them down back. Forwards need to just be better next week.
Full of medium defenders but nil depth of medium forwards.

Will be interesting to see how Port line up. If they go tall, nothing wrong with Fremantle going tall with Darcy coming in for Switkowski and Simpson for example for Frederick.

I mean, Tabs will get dropped, but wtf are you on about? Amiss has been very dissapointing, Treacy is good for one set shot a game. Let's not pretend Tabs is the issue here
Tabs is the issue here (or at least an issue). Others can make the "he gets in [insert player's] way" argument, but I won't even go there.

As you hint at with Treacy, Tabs has been decent at taking and generating shots for himself. Over the 3 games of Tabs-Amiss-Treacy, Tabs has scored 5.2 from 9 shots, which compares favourably to Amiss (4.6 from 12 shots) and Treacy (3.2 from 5 shots). But that's almost literally it.

Tabs has gotten 10 SIs across the 3 games, compared to Amiss and Treacy with 16 each. So Tabs has 3 non-shot score involvements compared to 6 for Amiss and 11 for Treacy. When Tabs isn't scoring, he isn't doing much of anything to affect the scoreboard. Amiss and Treacy also have superior tackle and pressure act numbers to Tabs over those 3 games, though granted with Treacy at least part of that is he 2nd rucks (though conversely, part of why Treacy doesn't get as many shots is he 2nd rucks).

Or to put it another way without the stats, if I watched Treacy's games without the 3 goals, I'd be able to point to many significant contributions. If I watched Amiss' games without his goals, I'd at least be able to point to where he's trying things, and the times he gets up the ground his field kicking is high level (plus his pressure in this game was high level). If I watch a Tabs game without his goals, I'd think he's a liability and the clear worst player on the ground.

If the extra 2 points he's kicked compared to Amiss over 3 games (with Amiss having an unusual cold streak in front of goal) or the extra 2 goals he's kicked compared to Treacy over 3 games (with Treacy playing very high up the ground and playing 2nd ruck) moves you significantly, idk what to say. It doesn't move me.

Tabs is the issue here (or at least an issue). Others can make the "he gets in [insert player's] way" argument, but I won't even go there.

As you hint at with Treacy, Tabs has been decent at taking and generating shots for himself. Over the 3 games of Tabs-Amiss-Treacy, Tabs has scored 5.2 from 9 shots, which compares favourably to Amiss (4.6 from 12 shots) and Treacy (3.2 from 5 shots). But that's almost literally it.

Tabs has gotten 10 SIs across the 3 games, compared to Amiss and Treacy with 16 each. So Tabs has 3 non-shot score involvements compared to 6 for Amiss and 11 for Treacy. When Tabs isn't scoring, he isn't doing much of anything to affect the scoreboard. Amiss and Treacy also have superior tackle and pressure act numbers to Tabs over those 3 games, though granted with Treacy at least part of that is he 2nd rucks (though conversely, part of why Treacy doesn't get as many shots is he 2nd rucks).

Or to put it another way without the stats, if I watched Treacy's games without the 3 goals, I'd be able to point to many significant contributions. If I watched Amiss' games without his goals, I'd at least be able to point to where he's trying things, and the times he gets up the ground his field kicking is high level (plus his pressure in this game was high level). If I watch a Tabs game without his goals, I'd think he's a liability and the clear worst player on the ground.

If the extra 2 points he's kicked compared to Amiss over 3 games (with Amiss having an unusual cold streak in front of goal) or the extra 2 goals he's kicked compared to Treacy over 3 games (with Treacy playing very high up the ground and playing 2nd ruck) moves you significantly, idk what to say. It doesn't move me.
I genuinely think Tabs has been applying better pressure i50 than Amiss has and that’s saying a lot.

not too concerned at losing two smalls in the fwdline considering we already play more than most teams. play Simpson and JOM forward and bring Raz in.
JOM forward is a good idea, still missing a lot of speed but maybe we don’t really have a choice

The only other left field one I’d say is Noddy in, depending largely on how he looks tomorrow. He looked back to his gut running passionate best over the preseason matches and if it means the replacements for Switta and Freddy are Simpson and Banfield, it might be worth it.

The pace of that forward line is hanging on by a string

Tabs has taken the number 1 defender each time.
He took Weitering today, who is the hardest one on one defender in the league.
Amiss still should be doing more with less attention. Tabs hasn’t been all that bad for the structure. He led Weitering away from the forward 50 at times to open up play.

The issue is Treacy. Very very unfair for him to being playing second ruck AND kick goals. Yet his pressure almost always generate turnovers. Can’t wait for him to be the main forward with Darcy in. THEN can judge his body of work from there.

Bring on the mid-season draft so we can pick up Nathan Wilson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He speed around the forward line would be needed. But he’s in career best form.
Would be the perfect game for Sturt to come in. How long is he out for? A week or two for Peel?
Sturt needs a solid run at Peel to find form, unfortunately he got injured when he needed to be finding some form, he would be atleast a month away tbh

I mean, Tabs will get dropped, but wtf are you on about? Amiss has been very dissapointing, Treacy is good for one set shot a game. Let's not pretend Tabs is the issue here

Tabs has been better than Amiss since he's been in the side, but we need to be realistic, this is probably Tabs' last season and it's better long term to get more games into Amiss even if he's not in great form right now.

Tabs has been better than Amiss since he's been in the side, but we need to be realistic, this is probably Tabs' last season and it's better long term to get more games into Amiss even if he's not in great form right now.
Has he actually though or do we just have a low bar for Tabs and high bar for Jye

One thing Johnson has been doing in each of his games this season, and in the last season is lay tackles (16 in the last 4 games and he was subbed twice). He is also fast so can somewhat cover the loss of speed by Switkowski and Frederick. From a structural perspective then, I would play him in the half forward line rather than as a winger and play Banfield as the thin side wing alongside Sharp. Give him a role in a position he is more familiar with and I think that can be of benefit to everyone (also playing at HFF will allow him to use his foot skills more).

Johnson seemed to get read the riot act by Longmuir (I could be wrong but that phone conversation when he got subbed did not look pleasant) and that he hasn't been too outstanding so far this season but I am not sure he has been as terrible as people are rating him either; I think people have expectations that are set way too high for him. I think we are significantly overrating what Simpson can currently do, or where the coaching staff think of where he is at - no doubt he is a talented player but let him start performing adequately at his current level first.

On other changes, Darcy coming in can allow Jackson to go forward as the other HFF - whilst he is not Frederick, his endurance and size will make a HBF uncomfortable.
Tabs has taken the number 1 defender each time.
He took Weitering today, who is the hardest one on one defender in the league.
Amiss still should be doing more with less attention. Tabs hasn’t been all that bad for the structure. He led Weitering away from the forward 50 at times to open up play.

The issue is Treacy. Very very unfair for him to being playing second ruck AND kick goals. Yet his pressure almost always generate turnovers. Can’t wait for him to be the main forward with Darcy in. THEN can judge his body of work from there.
From what I saw, Weitering was on Amiss for most of the time, he was the defender closest to Amiss when he took marks or when there was a contest, and he was typically standing him at ball-ups in the forward line. Mind you, Weitering runs off players like no tomorrow, so maybe he was just playing as a floating defender? I mean it is like saying Pearce was on Curnow; there was lots of times where Pearce was standing next to Curnow, but that was often when Draper was off the ground.

I don't have a particular issue with where any of the forwards are at, given the entries we got into the forward line and the defence Carlton put up; Amiss missed a shot yes, but he was involved in two goals (1 goal assist is registered in the stats) and kicked one himself and laid five tackles from 93% game time - of course that was not his greatest game but in a low scoring game it is adequate. I don't have any particular issue with Taberner either - he continually presented as an option and laid 4 tackles himself, so I wouldn't be dropping either any time soon.

At the end of the day it we lost by a knife edge where the opposition team played pretty well in many aspects of the game and particularly in defence. We have lost a pressure forward and a running forward but I think those can be replaced somewhat by moving some pieces already on the board.

Out: Frederick, Switkowski
In: Darcy, Erasmus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back