Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the elongated process that appears to be never ending perhaps we should transfer our license to Norwood. They at least have a home base and an oval and if I reading correctly they want to join the AFL. Call them the Norwood red legged crows and they can have our jumper.

This whole thing is so embarrassing for the Crows, the club for all South Australian but we haven't got our home base. in fact its a joke. As a supporter living in Brisbane I feel embarrassed but I cant imagine how the local members feel.

No one actually knows

We knew of Thebarton being an option almost immediately after Olsen's appointment in 2020 and we didn't know about the Gasworks bid until May 2021 (no one knows when that was first flagged as an option).

The old regime was sold on the AAC in 2020 so I don't think Brompton was on the radar until later.
We bid on Brompton before Thebby so clearly it was first in our thinking

Given the elongated process that appears to be never ending perhaps we should transfer our license to Norwood. They at least have a home base and an oval and if I reading correctly they want to join the AFL. Call them the Norwood red legged crows and they can have our jumper.

This whole thing is so embarrassing for the Crows, the club for all South Australian but we haven't got our home base. in fact it’s a joke. As a supporter living in Brisbane I feel embarrassed but I cant imagine how the local members feel.
Post of the Year. Hand the license to Norwood

This whole thing is so embarrassing for the Crows, the club for all South Australian but we haven't got our home base. in fact its a joke. As a supporter living in Brisbane I feel embarrassed but I cant imagine how the local members feel.

That plan should be called "How to destroy a club in 60 seconds"

Last edited:
Post of the Year. Hand the license to Norwood
Im Out You Do That GIF by CBS

Which negotiation could be done behind closed doors? Obtaining council approval? That’s not possible.

What negotiations with the SANFL have caused the issue besides SANFL having to find a new home before they can move?
I don't know. I'm not an expert. Could we have gone through government channels, got major project status, used that to find a location etc....
A good organisation would have found a way. Has anyone ever had the issues and delays we have? It's been years and we aren't even close to actually starting the build.

Are we currently at the lowest point in our history?

In 2020-21 we stank on field but there was the promise of a rebuild, hope that the new coach was restoring a strong culture, and off-field a new HQ loomed to coincide with when the on-field would start bearing fruit.

Now in 2024 we are wedded to a long-term unsuccessful coach, the playing list has holes everywhere due to poor drafting and development, can't win a game and require at least another phase of a rebuild before any sustainable competitiveness as the promise of 2023 has been sabotaged from within. Off field, as the biggest sporting club in the state, we bend over to whoever asks and get absolutely nowhere on a new HQ...amateur and embarrassing. Meanwhile, our rivals threaten an era of dominance.

How did it get to this?
How?
Incompetent buffoons who think they are smarter than they are.
A club run by corporate idiots who think using current jargon is a sign of intellect. Hell, people at the club actually think Roo is smart.
No accountability on the people making the decisions. We are happy to blame the coach, but never the people who set him up to fail.

We are at a very low ebb.

I don't know. I'm not an expert. Could we have gone through government channels, got major project status, used that to find a location etc....
A good organisation would have found a way. Has anyone ever had the issues and delays we have? It's been years and we aren't even close to actually starting the build.
Cmon, so you don’t know and you’ve gone to town. Plenty of things to bag the club over but I don’t believe this is one of them.

Lack of options.
2 governments
3 councils

Governments and councils too interested in listening to noisy minorities than stepping in and helping

We bid on Brompton before Thebby so clearly it was first in our thinking

The tender for the site wasnt even listed until July 2021

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/sale-of-gasworks-site-poised-to-complete-the-bowden-success-story

The Crows had expressed an interest to the council late in 2020 over Thebarton Oval and there was even an early vote about Adelaide moving to Thebarton in 2020

https://www.indaily.com.au/sport/football/2020/11/18/council-backs-crows-move-to-thebarton

The tender for the site wasnt even listed until July 2021

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/sale-of-gasworks-site-poised-to-complete-the-bowden-success-story

The Crows had expressed an interest to the council late in 2020 over Thebarton Oval and there was even an early vote about Adelaide moving to Thebarton in 2020

https://www.indaily.com.au/sport/football/2020/11/18/council-backs-crows-move-to-thebarton
But we bid on Brompton. Clearly that was no 1 if we bid on it.

Are we currently at the lowest point in our history?

In 2020-21 we stank on field but there was the promise of a rebuild, hope that the new coach was restoring a strong culture, and off-field a new HQ loomed to coincide with when the on-field would start bearing fruit.

Now in 2024 we are wedded to a long-term unsuccessful coach, the playing list has holes everywhere due to poor drafting and development, can't win a game and require at least another phase of a rebuild before any sustainable competitiveness as the promise of 2023 has been sabotaged from within. Off field, as the biggest sporting club in the state, we bend over to whoever asks and get absolutely nowhere on a new HQ...amateur and embarrassing. Meanwhile, our rivals threaten an era of dominance.

How did it get to this?
I've said this many times .....PORT get things done (trades, development) .....we on the other hand take the consultative approach, and end up treading water

PORT think about today ......we're always thinking about the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we hire the LeCornu site's project manager?

I've said this many times .....PORT get things done (trades, development) .....we on the other hand take the consultative approach, and end up treading water

I will say that Port always put themselves first and always fight for what's in their best interests, that's why they always get better outcomes than we do.

I will say that Port always put themselves first and always fight for what's in their best interests, that's why they always get better outcomes than we do.

That's how a club is run not an organisation.

Have the Victorian developers who won that Tender started on the project yet?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was there yesterday, the remediation project is currently in progress, much of it is under a very large protective tent-like structure and the site fence is ringed with permanently running misters to ensure as little dangerous dust as possible gets kicked up into the air. Not sure how much longer that part of the project has to go, but the ground pollution was extensive.

1 is run as a football club.
1 is run as a corporation.

1 says 'get it done'.
1 says 'lets see what a focus group thinks'.

We hang s**t on port and it’s not even as good as them 😆

Let's be honest the only people I know who have been consistently pushing this Norwood into the AFL stuff are Port supporters because they know it will put a dent in both the AFC's supporter numbers and financials and will put Port on the precipice of SA football.

That's literally the only reason they want it to happen because it will cannibalise the AFC's market share for their own gain. They've always had a self entitled belief that they should be the biggest club in SA (and resent us because we're number 1) and this is simply a way to make it happen.

Last edited:
Back