Preview Round 6, 2024: North v Hawks, 4pm 21st April, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Phillips, Lewis, Breust, Gunston
Out: Ward, Butler, Ramsden, Hustwaite

My view on this week is bring/keep in some of the senior members (assuming all the In's are good to go) and then cull the non-performers after this game. Nash on very thin ice, I'd give him one more to show what he can do vs North and otherwise send him to the 2's indefinitely. Hustwaite is a harsh one but I think we need seniority in this game to fire the group up, as well as Butler, non-peformer this week but I'd give him another shot if he does well in the VFL again.

Hardwick - Frost - D'Ambrosio
Sicily - Phillips - Scrimshaw

Amon - Newcombe - Weddle

Gunston - Chol - Moore
Breust - Lewis - Ginnivan

Meek - Worpel - Nash

Bench:
Maginess - Mackenzie - Impey - Mitchell

Sub:
MacDonald

First game in a long time I'm not making excuses to go.
Between acessibility (nightmare to get the city loop on a Sunday, and takes an extra half an hr if we drive), and the obvious shitshow at the club, I'll happily put up with underwood on fox sports
My god, you're that desperate?

I would of thought Roughy and Ratten being back at the club would have made a huge difference.

I am curious what you thought Roughy would deliver in terms of 2024 on-field performance when it's not remotely part of his job?

Team is obviously going to be all around availability. Lewis and Breust will come in, Ramsden and Butler out if they are available.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Morrison or Gunston back in if one of the above aren’t ready.

No way Phillips plays, it will be 3 weeks since he played a game and that game was an absolute stinker in the VFL. If a defender is to come in, it will be Serong.

There’s is almost zero chance Hardwick becomes captain. He’s not that guy.

He just rolls out each week and does his job(which is great), but he’s always last on the track(that’s fine), doesn’t have a great deal to say, has openly told Talking Hawks he’s been asked to improve in this area with youngsters around him and has never been part of the leadership group.

100% this. Not a chance in the world Dimma is captain.

Right now I would be forgetting about anything any player on our list talks about leaders at the club.

Now is the time for strong decisions and we have enough coach’s and board members to work through a process and get the right person for the job.

I never said time was running out, and come on, he had 17 disposals. He hardly tore the game apart. He wasn't in the coach's votes or the best.

Overall, his season has been extremely disappointing for a pick 7 in year 3. Sugarcat it whatever way you like, but I think most on here would agree.
Go see how many 17+ disposal games his coach had at 20yrs old.

He had 1, late in the year.

What about Hodge? He had 2 games.

Some kids take time, some aren’t thrown directly in to the middle, some don’t get to pad state on the halfback line. Development isn’t all or nothing as 20yr olds.

Troll stuff - good grief, at least respond in an adult fashion.

So the whole crux of your argument is that James Sicily gets free pass because:

We have no other defenders

He's Captain.

And that means you can ignore:

He doesn't lead.

He doesn't organise.

He doesn't inspire.

And most importantly he is in the worst form of his career.

That's your rationale?

It's about as sound as Clarkos logic of playing Poppy when he was cooked 'because he was good 4 years ago' and making Stratton Captain 'because he doesn't argue'.....

I don't care if Sicily is a Brownlow medalist - being Captain doesn't spare you from the axe.

Don't forget we happily dropped the last Brownlow medalist we had when he was playing badly yeah?

Honestly - right here is a prime example of what happens if there are no consequences for your actions - Sicily can't be dropped because he is Captain.

Good grief.
I am totally supportive of different and bold opinions but I don’t see how this helps us. we need to get to a defensive model that allows him to maximise his strengths. The start of that is centre clearance. When sides walk out the front of the centre square no defenders win.
Imagine the glee on Pedo Barrett’s face if against north the other 0-5 team we dropped Sicily. We’d never hear the end of it if we lost.

Ins:
Hustwaite, Breust, Lewis, Jiath
Outs:
Nash, Butler, Ramsden, Mackenzie

B: Hardwick, Frost, Impey
HB: Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Sicily
C: Jiath, Ward, Amon
HF: Moore, Lewis, MacDonald
F: Breust, Chol, Ginnivan
FOL: Meek, Newcombe, Worpel
INT: Maginness, Hustwaite, Massimo, Weddle

Perhaps?

North don't have McKay to play on Lewis, so hopefully he's fit and gets up for the game.

Assuming Meek is OK and Lewis is good to go:

IN
  • Lewis
  • Phillips

OUT
  • Ramsden
  • Nash (to sub)

Mitchell - Frost - D'Ambrosio
Sicily - Phillips - Scrimshaw

Meek - Worpel - Newcombe
Amon - Moore - Weddle

Maginess - Lewis - Butler
Hardwick - Chol - Ginnivan

Bench:
Ward - Mackenzie - Impey - MacDonald

Sub:
Nash
Actually like this but I can see Butler out for Breust if fit, and from what I’ve heard he is. So is Jiath who they seem keen to get in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we refuse to play another KPD whether it be Phillips or Serong. Does my head in that Blanck was always in the team with both Frost & Scrimshaw but when he went down we don't replace him with a like for like.
Nah it's not just that, Sicily was quite good in most games last year when Blanck was in the 2s/hurt. Although it absolutely plays some role. I think equally important is our inability to pressure on the midfield, which indirectly creates a much larger defensive load because there are constant mismatches and he needs to marshall the backline while also worrying about his man.

We could have 10 Ben McKay's back there and I think his offensive impact would still be muted because his strength is floating and plugging holes. Can't do that if you constantly have to man against fast-moving transition and outnumbers due to a lack of pressure on the ball carrier.

I think it's hard to objectively look at structural issues when our midfield is performing so atrociously. Fix that up, give us a block of games where we aren't losing the tackles and clearances by a billion, aren't letting their wingers and outside players waltz into a paddock, then we can re-asses.

If we can't fix that up, we will keep losing. If we can, I'm confident we will start filling up the W column.

Clearly you didn't watch the Geelong game. Second quarter was our best this year, and also showed patches in second half too
Of course I watched it. It was geelong. You think I'm going to waste brain space for anything that involves them?

get around them. show up, make some noise.

View attachment 1960131

Speaking of, why is our supporter base so quiet? I yell my ass off each week (positively) and all Hawthorn supporters around me just clap politely. We need to make noise and create a hostile atmosphere. I’m not saying be feral but when Max Lynch announces our line up, get around them.

Speaking of, why is our supporter base so quiet? I yell my ass off each week (positively) and all Hawthorn supporters around me just clap politely. We need to make noise and create a hostile atmosphere. I’m not saying be feral but when Max Lynch announces our line up, get around them.

Hard to manufacture excitement and noise when we play the way we have. If we kick some goals in a row then the crowd may get going.

There is obviously history here so be assured, nothing would make Clarko happier than to give us a thumping. North will be fully prepared for this game and if we know Clarko, he will be telling his "soldiers" that we have looked very soft this season and don't back each other up. So we can expect plenty of rough stuff from the Roos. I am 100% certain that North will bring it. Going to be interesting to see how we respond.
Reading this made me laugh, because they are worse than us. Like really really bad. They recruited more softcocks from other AFL clubs expecting miracles.

No amount of Clarko guff is going to last more than 5 minutes.

First game in a long time I'm not making excuses to go.
Between acessibility (nightmare to get the city loop on a Sunday, and takes an extra half an hr if we drive), and the obvious shitshow at the club, I'll happily put up with underwood on fox sports
Oh no, not again.

Ho do I synch SEN?

Can Ward please play inside mid ffs?

He was drafted so high in that position for a reason. At least give him the keys for a match to show us what he's got.
He’s not up to it. If he was, they would have put him in the middle at half time after Nash and Newcombe were getting a bath. They went with HH who actually did a stellar job - big tick

Ward will never be an in a A grade in and under midfielder. To be honest I’m not sure what he is. For mine, looks to be a half back flanker at best

Mitchell needs to win this game. I have no doubt the board will start discussing him if we lose. Not this board the actual board

To early for this even the most optimistic fan, would of had us winning possibly 1 game in the first month.
A big month ahead if we continue to get blown out. 3 games in Melbourne and one in Tassie this month we can't afford to go 0-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back