MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice reply. You’re a very intelligent person who is clearly capable of forming an argument to support your position.

A good reminder of why engaging with people who have stupid opinions is worthless. If they were capable of understanding they wouldn’t hold such stupid positions in the first place.
Why would i want to argue? You have your opinion and i have mine.

It’s still sticks and stones imo. Gamesmanship was acceptable for a long time where you could get into an oppo’s head and it was left on the field and after the game you could have a drink and we were all better for it.

I can never fully invest in this AFL because it’s more a political organisation than anything else. You can’t watch the first bounce without being dragged through a political topic.

It’s still sticks and stones imo. Gamesmanship was acceptable for a long time where you could get into an oppo’s head and it was left on the field and after the game you could have a drink and we were all better for it.

I can never fully invest in this AFL because it’s more a political organisation than anything else. You can’t watch the first bounce without being dragged through a political topic.
"Shit, he thinks I'm gay I'm going to miss this kick now", not very effective gamesmanship at all I'd argue in this day and age. There are plenty of better ways of getting under people's skin that don't involve slurring entire communities.

I love how people are outraged more at the weeks given than the use of the word. Says enough really.

Don’t want five weeks Will? Don’t use a slur.

Pretty simple.

Worlds really gone backwards in the past 5 odd years where people want to make or commit stupid decisions and don’t want the punishment that comes with it.

News flash. The offender isn’t the victim.

Some of the people in here would be the same people labelling women as the issue for dressing inappropriately or being in the wrong place.

People make mistakes. Everyone does. What I notice is a lot of people can’t own up to them. What I’ve also noticed is Australia has a putrid case of defending the offender when it’s blatantly obvious what the offenders intentions were in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did you write this whilst hearing the blacksmith belt the metal on the anvil to make a sword and shield to fight Danerys Mother of Dragons ?

Use your ******* brain please.

The entire point of using a slur like that is because you view a particular group of people as inferior and the victim as inferior by association.

Imagine a situation where a player called a white guy the n-word on field. The white guy likely wouldn't be offended but you can be sure black people would be, as the implication is that the white guy is a lesser person by using the word to describe him.

This is why arguments about the severity of the punishment compared to physical actions on field are failing to see the bigger picture. This is less about the individual victim on field and more about the entire group of marginalised people the player is implying are inferior by using the homophobic term.

Now another hypothetical scenario. If I work for a large company and refer to a straight male colleague using a homophobic slur in a company wide Zoom meeting, would the company be right to take action against me even if the other person wasn't offended?

Of course they would, as not taking action essentially condones the idea that being gay makes a person worthy of ridicule. Not taking action sends a terrible message and the reputation of the company would be significantly impacted as a result.

The AFL is no different as an organisation with a reputation to uphold. The ban is entirely appropriate and if anything, he's lucky not to face worse action.

Who says inferior? It would more likely do with gay men being more effeminate. That’s not the same as inferior.

It’s no different to calling a male player a girl, telling him he wears a skirt etc etc.

But we should ask OniAu as they seem to know what the obvious intentions are.

Who says inferior? It would more likely do with gay men being more effeminate. That’s not the same as inferior.

It’s no different to calling a male player a girl, telling him he wears a skirt etc etc.

I think Will is just a bigot. Probably like yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Homophobic*. And no, it doesn’t matter. It obviously wasn’t the one you mentioned.

If someone made a racist remark, would you want to know what, and how would you grade it?
Homophobic*. And no, it doesn’t matter. It obviously wasn’t the one you mentioned.

If someone made a racist remark, would you want to know what, and how would you grade it?
You actually have to know what was said and how it was perceived to be racist. Some of the nonsense that people claim are racist defies common sense so you need to be put on your guard in these days of woke.

You actually have to know what was said and how it was perceived to be racist. Some of the nonsense that people claim are racist defies common sense so you need to be put on your guard in these days of woke.

Literally never felt like I have been at risk of racially abusing someone. I've played plenty of sport, and work in an industry with plenty of racially diverse employees.

Not sure what communities you've grown up in that it's such a common thing you need to be 'on your guard' about what you say.

Minnesota United Soccer GIF by Univision Deportes

Literally never felt like I have been at risk of racially abusing someone. I've played plenty of sport, and work in an industry with plenty of racially diverse employees.

Not sure what communities you've grown up in that it's such a common thing you need to be 'on your guard' about what you say.

I think the point being made was it doesn’t matter what you do, what matters is how others perceive What you feel is irrelevant.

I think the point being made was it doesn’t matter what you do, what matters is how others perceive What you feel is irrelevant.

Wouldn't have thought it's that hard to avoid saying things that might be perceived by most people as sexist, racist or homophobic.

It's not as though your general conversation could be perceived that way, could it? If it could, perhaps you need to make some changes.

And then, what if the push and shove turned into a wrestle? And in the heat of the moment, their lips brush past one another's, and for a brief moment, both players felt the world stand still?
This honestly had me crying with laughter in the lunch room at work. Some of the posts in this thread are bloody hilarious.

But in all seriousness, this is one of the stranger threads I've followed on BF. Using words that denigrate or marginalise people for their sexual orientation is the same as denigrating someone for their skin colour, religion, gender, sex etc. It's that simple.

To those who are upset about players only copping a week for making contact with an opponent's head; those offenders should be punished just as severely. The players have a duty of care when they take to the field, be it with regard to how they play and what they say. You can't vilify anyone and you can't just go flying into contests collecting people high. The MCG is not a war zone, Marvel Stadium is not a battleground; the AFL is the pinnacle of a sport where people who happen to excel at kicking a footy compete against each other according to the rules of the governing authority.

And seriously, sticks and stones is a load of crap. If a member of a marginalised group complains of being subjected to vilification, they get told to suck it up. If they take a different course of action, saying something equally or more offensive than the perpetrator or flat out smacking the perpetrator in the gob, then they'll be put on trial for overreacting. There's no scenario where the marginalised or minority group member wins. It's purely a power dynamic designed to protect bullies.

Will Powell has apologised multiple times and has taken his punishment without complaint, so if there's one thing I can credit him with, it's copping the consequences of what he said on the chin. That seems to be taking a level of responsibility that too many posters on this thread would try their absolute hardest to weasel out of.

Sure, just assume the worst in people because you know everyone’s intentions

You or Wills ?

What intentions does he have for using slurs ? At what point are the use of the words he chose good for anyone ?

You are outraged by the weeks he gets but cant justify why he chose to use the words he did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back