Cricket at Metricon stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article in the Herald Sun yesterday. Seems like a regional Brisbane Heat game at Metricon this time next year is likely as soft expansion takes place over the next few years. They'll have to play it a bit earlier so it doesn't disturb the Comm Games upgrade at the stadium but that is mentioned in the article below. Then the GC's main competition for a future BBL franchise is apparently Canberra and Townsville, according to this article. As long as the city packs out Metricon when the Heat play their BBL regional game on the GC then I'd like to think the Gold Coast is best placed for the next BBL expansion franchise. An upgraded Metricon and the new training and admin facilities right next to the stadium would easily put the city ahead of just about every other city in Australia that doesn't already have a BBL team.

Cricket Australia looking to cash in on Big Bash boom by expanding competition

CRICKET Australia looks set to flood next summer’s calendar with more Big Bash League games in the first move towards expanding the booming tournament.

And the timeline for introducing new franchises has been brought forward — although the competition will remain at eight clubs for at least the next two years.

A rise in BBL matches around next summer’s inaugural pink-ball Ashes series could deliver Cricket Australia its most hyped season ever.

The BBL kicked off with the sold out Sydney Smash and heads to Etihad Stadium when Melbourne Renegades host champion Sydney Thunder.

Club heavyweights campaigned for a spike in games last year, but Cricket Australia retained the 32-game season plus three-match finals series for BBL06.

Both Melbourne franchises pushed for an increase with Stars chief executive Clint Cooper calling for a full home-and-away fixture of 14 games this summer.

The Stars and Gades have both broken membership records as they close in on 10,000 paid-up supporters and aim to top the record 80,883 at last summer’s MCG derby.

Since BBL02 clubs have played eight group games — fixtured against every club once and their arch rival twice.

The double-ups allows for both Melbourne and Sydney clubs to host derbies.

More games next season could see Twenty20 cricket taken to regional venues and possibly include a historic Christmas Day blockbuster.

Cricket Australia launched “Project Jingle Bash” to fast-track plans for a Christmas match, although that appears unlikely to materialise next season.

BBL boss Anthony Everard told the Herald Sun the competition had evolved beyond the “start-up” phase.

“We feel as if the BBL is entering a different stage now,” Everard said.

“We’ve been in start-up stage for the first few years (and) we felt the fifth season was a year the league really matured.

“I think it’s unlikely you’ll see more clubs in the immediate future, certainly for the next two years we’re not looking at new clubs.

“But there are a whole lot of expansion options with the existing clubs available to us.

“We haven’t settled on a final outcome, but it’s likely you’ll hear more in the New Year.”

In January Everard said: “We would love to see new BBL clubs … but that’s not on the radar in the next five years”.

Everard said the BBL was not cannibalising Test cricket, pointing out that last summer drew a record attendance across all formats in Australia.

The BBL averaged more than one million television viewers per night last season and Everard said the focus this summer was on replicating that success.

“It really has become the viewing habit for all Australians. It’s beach by day, BBL by night,” he said.

“The majority of our games are not sold out, so there’s still plenty of capacity in the venues themselves and that’ll really be the focus this year.”

Cricket Australia took practice matches to the Sunshine Coast and Albury this month and scheduled a warm-up Melbourne derby in Geelong last summer.

A regional franchise appears likely to be the next included with Canberra, Gold Coast and Townsville believed to be near the top of CA’s wishlist.

The governing body is excited about the growth of its women’s league, which gives “an extra dimension” and boosts the total T20 fixture to about 100 games.

Extra matches would likely bring forward the start of the BBL season and increase the number of double-headers to retain the tournament in the school holidays.

Cricket Australia's CEO James Sutherland says an expanded Big Bash League is a 'mere formality'
"We like the fact that people are very keen to have their own team and we've got interest from all different parts of the country; Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong, Fremantle.
Gold Coast is the first city he mentions when talking about expansion. If those four cities are the only competition for expansion, Gold Coast would be a good chance to be granted a licence.
"I think our inclination is first we'll probably expand the number of games before we expand the number of teams. But at the same time we do think it's a mere formality at this stage that we will expand the competition."
Something we already know. "Regional" games involving existing franchises will be played in new markets as a way of soft expansion before later granting regional cities their own franchises.

Canberra fits the bill for Big Bash League licence but expansion a while off

Obviously a fairly biased title written for the Canberra Times but some very interesting quotes from the Head of the Big Bash League (Anthony Everard) in regards to key criteria for expansion.
"We're looking at areas of the country that perhaps aren't serviced as well with elite cricket as the major metropolitan capital cities," Everard said.
Pretty obvious to anyone who is aware of the Gold Coast cricket scene that the city has NEVER hosted elite cricket, so it would have to be a front runner in that regard. Canberra is seemingly the biggest rival to the Gold Coast in regards to a BBL licence but it's obvious which city this criteria fancies. Canberra hosted the BBL final in 2015 and an ODI against New Zealand earlier this month so it would be hard to argue that elite cricket isn't already being played in the ACT.
"We'd want to make sure that any new team wasn't a drain on a state association's finances, and in fact had the opportunity to make a positive contribution financially to Australian cricket."
This is an interesting comment and I think it's more a reflection on their belief that a Canberra team may be a drain on Cricket ACT finances. Cricket Queensland is presumably better off financially and is already investing money into the upgrade of Metricon so they must have faith that a Gold Coast franchise will work and be profitable.
"Then there would be discussions around opportunities to grow participation, attract new fans, etcetera."
There's no doubting cricket has room for enormous growth on the Gold Coast. It's a virtually untapped market for any form of cricket and is the sixth largest city in the country. It's also growing at a fast rate.

Gold Coast teenage quick Xavier Bartlett called up for possible Big Bash debut against Perth Scorchers
GOLD Coast teenager Xavier Bartlett could become Brisbane Heat’s youngest player if he gets a start in a Big Bash League match at the WACA Ground tonight.

The big 18-year-old paceman was called into the Heat squad as a replacement for injured fellow quick Luke Feldman, who has been sidelined by a side strain.

And now he will be Heat’s 12th man, at worst, for the match against the Perth Scorchers at the WACA.

Bartlett, aged 18 years and 18 days today, would replace Alister McDermott (19 years, 37 days) as the youngest player in Heat history if he gets his debut tonight.

Bartlett would also be the youngest player to debut in the current version of the BBL. That record is currently with Jake Doran at the Thunder two seasons ago when he was 18 years and 81 days.

Under BBL rules, players from outside the official squad called up as replacements must play in the starting XI or be selected as 12th man for their next T20 match.

“If you bring someone in, they’ve got to be part of your 12, so Xavier gets his chance,” Heat coach Daniel Vettori said.

“The tricky thing is some of the guys know him reasonably well and some don’t.

“It would be tough to bring him straight into the XI but we have that extra cover in case a few guys pull up stiff after a long flight.

“There may be an opportunity for Xavier but we’ll wait and see.”

Bartlett, the Dolphins quick who has been an Australian Under-19 representative and been in the Cricket Australia XI a number of times, was told of his Heat inclusion on Tuesday night.

Vettori followed up about 10pm with a congratulatory message and a little more than 10 hours later Bartlett was on a plane headed to Perth.

Last year Bartlett played in a Cricket Australia development side that played against the touring South Africans in a two-day match in Adelaide.

He claimed the wicket of Stephen Cook in that match, then in Matador Cup matches has dismissed Ed Cowan, Nic Maddinson and Michael Klinger.

Bartlett has joined fellow Dolphin paceman Nick Buchanan for the Perth trip.

Also in the flight west in a 14-man squad was batsman Marnus Labuschagne, like Bartlett set for his debut in the BBL.

“Xavier is absolutely thrilled to have been given the chance,” his father Kim said.

A TSS old boy, Bartlett is clearly on the radar of both Queensland and Australian selectors.
Not sure how many saw this earlier this week but it would appear there is cricket talent coming out of the GC. Xavier did not debut FYI but you'd hope that a future Gold Coast BBL franchise would include a TSS old boy (prestigious private school on the GC) like Bartlett. In fact, The Southport School (TSS) may become a bit of a farm considering the dynamics of the city when it comes to cricket. TSS has the tradition and competes in the highest GPS competition in QLD so you'd think there's a fair chance you'll see cricket talent coming out of there if/when the city establishes its own BBL team.

billy stanlake, who's been named in the australian ODI squad for the upcoming series against pakistan, played junior cricket on the gold coast. ben mcdermott, who's currently making his BBL debut for the hobart hurricanes also played junior cricket on the gold coast.

billy stanlake, who's been named in the australian ODI squad for the upcoming series against pakistan, played junior cricket on the gold coast. ben mcdermott, who's currently making his BBL debut for the hobart hurricanes also played junior cricket on the gold coast.
Three TSS old boys - a wicketkeeper and two quicks. I'm sure the team leading up the GC expansion franchise already has their eye on these three. Fill the team with Gold Coasters, I say.

i'll dust off the pads if they need a spot filled haha
Join the cue ;)

It's good to see a local in Billy Stanlake getting called up to the national ODI team but let's not forget his older brother Jack was on the inaugural Suns' AFL list in 2011. I wonder if Billy ever tried his hand at Aussie rules...

I imagine the two boys probably played both sports throughout their upbringing but I would have thought their tall frames would've helped them more in football than cricket. However, Billy's 204cm frame would have really held him in good stead but for whatever reason he pursued cricket. Perhaps a missed opportunity for the club?

Join the cue ;)

It's good to see a local in Billy Stanlake getting called up to the national ODI team but let's not forget his older brother Jack was on the inaugural Suns' AFL list in 2011. I wonder if Billy ever tried his hand at Aussie rules...

I imagine the two boys probably played both sports throughout their upbringing but I would have thought their tall frames would've helped them more in football than cricket. However, Billy's 204cm frame would have really held him in good stead but for whatever reason he pursued cricket. Perhaps a missed opportunity for the club?
Thanks Matchu! I knew that surname sounded familiar.

35,112 at the Gabba for the Heat game tonight and it was raining/storming. So they averaged 34k over their four home games at the Gabba this season. Had they won tonight (they lost by 1 run) they would have guaranteed home ground advantage all the way through the finals but instead they are relying on results to see where they finish.

It's definitely time the Brisbane Heat schedule a 'regional game' at Metricon for the 2017-18 season just before redevelopment works begin for the Comm Games.

35,112 at the Gabba for the Heat game tonight and it was raining/storming. So they averaged 34k over their four home games at the Gabba this season. Had they won tonight (they lost by 1 run) they would have guaranteed home ground advantage all the way through the finals but instead they are relying on results to see where they finish.

It's definitely time the Brisbane Heat schedule a 'regional game' at Metricon for the 2017-18 season just before redevelopment works begin for the Comm Games.
I wish it were raining. It was 35 degrees and absolutely stinking. Awesome game though!

I wish it were raining. It was 35 degrees and absolutely stinking. Awesome game though!
I'm certain I saw rain on the television last night...

Are you going to make the switch to the GC team when it enters the BBL or will you still true to the Heat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you going to make the switch to the GC team when it enters the BBL or will you still true to the Heat?

We went
I don't think I've taken the boys to a Heat win:(
Brisbane never feels like a home game for anything
It is a completely different city and mindset to the GC and Coast people
I take the boys because as you've previously noted there's no elite cricket EVER on the Coast so it's the nearest thing
So if we had a local team- yes, we're GC through and through
I couldn't imagine the boys sitting through an ODI
Actually, these days I couldn't imagine myself sitting through an ODI, so it's a perfect introduction to cricket for them
Yes it rained a bit but might not have been noticed under the stands or in a box

I'd support the GC team as a second club, but I'd stay true to the Heat I think. I live 10 minutes from the Gabba and love Brissy, and I don't even know why I'm a Suns fan tbh, but here we are haha. Suns in the footy, and Heat in the BBL!

Interesting article in the Herald Sun yesterday. Seems like a regional Brisbane Heat game at Metricon this time next year is likely as soft expansion takes place over the next few years. They'll have to play it a bit earlier so it doesn't disturb the Comm Games upgrade at the stadium but that is mentioned in the article below. Then the GC's main competition for a future BBL franchise is apparently Canberra and Townsville, according to this article. As long as the city packs out Metricon when the Heat play their BBL regional game on the GC then I'd like to think the Gold Coast is best placed for the next BBL expansion franchise. An upgraded Metricon and the new training and admin facilities right next to the stadium would easily put the city ahead of just about every other city in Australia that doesn't already have a BBL team.

Cricket Australia looking to cash in on Big Bash boom by expanding competition

Where exactly in Townsville would they play cricket at, wouldn't a team in Far NQ be at Cazalys in Cairns.

Does Townsvile even have a decent ground ?

We went
I don't think I've taken the boys to a Heat win:(
Brisbane never feels like a home game for anything
It is a completely different city and mindset to the GC and Coast people
I take the boys because as you've previously noted there's no elite cricket EVER on the Coast so it's the nearest thing
So if we had a local team- yes, we're GC through and through
I couldn't imagine the boys sitting through an ODI
Actually, these days I couldn't imagine myself sitting through an ODI, so it's a perfect introduction to cricket for them
Yes it rained a bit but might not have been noticed under the stands or in a box
Good stuff. I feel like a GC cricket team will have the benefit of uniting the Aussie rules and league fans under one banner because there won't be any colonial bullshit differences - everyone will be there for the same reason.
I'd support the GC team as a second club, but I'd stay true to the Heat I think. I live 10 minutes from the Gabba and love Brissy, and I don't even know why I'm a Suns fan tbh, but here we are haha. Suns in the footy, and Heat in the BBL!
Each to their own. It's hard to switch when you've already invested yourself into one team and that's the transitional period the Suns are facing at the moment as they continue to target a generational change. Generally, Brisbane people support Brisbane teams and there's not much you can do about that. Skip forward 15 years from now and most AFL fans on the GC will be supporting the Suns. Many supporters won't even be able to remember a time when the Suns didn't exist.
Where exactly in Townsville would they play cricket at, wouldn't a team in Far NQ be at Cazalys in Cairns.

Does Townsvile even have a decent ground ?
It's a good question. Tony Ireland Stadium certainly isn't up to standard. Perhaps there will be a push to make the new Townsville stadium convertible for the cricket? The Cowboys wouldn't like that but economically it might make the most sense.

I lived 10min from the Gabba as well for 12 years before moving to Sydney and made the trip down the coast for every game, makes no sense but once the Suns are in your blood it's game over

I followed the Bears when they were at Carrara, I even drove the Coachtrans bus up to the Gabba for their matches. And when my stint at Coachtrans finished , caught the train up and did the walk to the Gabba from Southbank, and was a member for the 3 peat..... But once the Suns arrived, game over....
still love The Lions and hope they rise up the ladder, but it's the Suns for me......with the Lions a far far far distant second.....

I followed the Bears when they were at Carrara, I even drove the Coachtrans bus up to the Gabba for their matches. And when my stint at Coachtrans finished , caught the train up and did the walk to the Gabba from Southbank, and was a member for the 3 peat..... But once the Suns arrived, game over....
still love The Lions and hope they rise up the ladder, but it's the Suns for me......with the Lions a far far far distant second.....
I remember seeing an interview with Andrew Ireland where he said there was quite a bit of resistance from GC locals when they were trying to move the Bears to the Gabba. Is that true? Also, here's a video that may get you feeling nostalgic:

Back to cricket, the Heat have finished second and will host their semifinal at the Gabba on Wednesday night. If they win, they'll either travel to Perth for the grand final or will host the Melbourne Stars at the Gabba.

I remember seeing an interview with Andrew Ireland where he said there was quite a bit of resistance from GC locals when they were trying to move the Bears to the Gabba. Is that true? Also, here's a video that may get you feeling nostalgic:

Back to cricket, the Heat have finished second and will host their semifinal at the Gabba on Wednesday night. If they win, they'll either travel to Perth for the grand final or will host the Melbourne Stars at the Gabba.

Don't know too much if there was resistance from the Locals, but we never did fill the bus, not even close to filling it. And if I remember correctly, the service only lasted a few weeks, probably due to lack of patronage...

And just finished watching the video......sure did bring back some memories.....thanks Matchu, for that trip down memory lane.....:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Don't know too much if there was resistance from the Locals, but we never did fill the bus, not even close to filling it. And if I remember correctly, the service only lasted a few weeks, probably due to lack of patronage...
So I'm guessing this was back in '93 when the Bears officially moved. Interesting to read, that even back then, Gold Coast and Brisbane people saw themselves as separate for the most part. From memory, the Brisbane media completely blacked out the Bears and wouldn't report on them back when they were based on at Carrara so it would have been really tough for them to get any kind of traction back then. Robert Walls said they used to give out free tickets to Bears games to anyone that ordered a cheeseburger at the Surfers Paradise McDonald's.

Someone that really doesn't get enough credit for keeping Aussie rules alive on the Gold Coast/in Queensland is Reuben Pelerman. He was initially a financial backer of the Southport Sharks and helped them quite a bit with the costs of competing in the Brisbane-based QAFL. Then he stepped in and saved the Bears when Skase fled the country and kept them afloat, despite losing millions in the process. He even sponsored the professional Gold Coast Seagulls rugby league team in the NSWRL back in the early 90s. He was a significant part of Gold Coast sport back in the early days and most people these days probably don't even know who he is.

But, here we are now. A new time. New heroes. Creating new histories and legacies.

Impossible to get tickets to Wednesday's game
Joe Public has to wait and pick the carcass after the early special releases to Gabba Trust/CA/Heat Members/Channel 10 FFS
Leaves a bit of a sour taste
Getting the people along to games is the surest way to keep cricket healthy and strong
They need to expand the offering North of Sydney(as always)

Brisbane Heat are awful at home. I have not done the stats, but I am pretty sure it is 2 wins from 9 games at home the past 2 seasons. Extends even further back to. Matchu is our stats guru for that kind of stuff. I know even in our champion year we only one a game or two at home.

Lets move them to Metricon! A form reversal of the Brisbane Bears

Brisbane Heat are awful at home. I have not done the stats, but I am pretty sure it is 2 wins from 9 games at home the past 2 seasons. Extends even further back to. Matchu is our stats guru for that kind of stuff. I know even in our champion year we only one a game or two at home.

Lets move them to Metricon! A form reversal of the Brisbane Bears
"The BRM Curse"

Can't beat the Sixers at the Gabba, ever. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back