Everton Fans Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With one year left on his contract, we aren't getting market value for him. 25m would be good business, anything over that would be great.

Why is he wanting to leave? Spurs is the best he could do and he would be sitting on the bench like he is with England if he went there.
He'll just be a benchwarmer waiting for Erikson to get injured. Isn't that right Doctor Gero ?

Anyway it would be good to finish the season on a high by smashing the scum.

He'll just be a benchwarmer waiting for Erikson to get injured. Isn't that right Doctor Gero ?

Anyway it would be good to finish the season on a high by smashing the scum.
Yep. Squad option. Expensive one at that.
Either at CM or AM can't see who he replaces out of Alli, Son (Lamela), Eriksen, Dembele or Wanyama.

Probably has to be this summer or never. No need for buying starters just depth and if he doesn't move this window he'll be at Everton for a few years you'd think.

Koeman's comments make interesting reading. Isn't too confident Barkley will sign a new deal but thinks Lukaku will still be playing for us next season.

I think Barkley will stay & Lukaku will be off

Koeman's comments make interesting reading. Isn't too confident Barkley will sign a new deal but thinks Lukaku will still be playing for us next season.

I think Barkley will stay & Lukaku will be off
Koeman says an announcement will be made on Barkley's future tomorrow, I think he's off.

I didn't watch the game last night but an average way to end what has been a pretty good season, I would've taken a 7th place finish at the start of the year, when we it was clear 7th was were we would finish a lot of the motivation dropped off.

Excited to be back in Europe, a good first step for Koeman.

30m for Pickford really isn't that bad, such a quality young keeper. You can easily get ten years from him or re-sell him.

Admittedly he's not the finished product yet but he'd already be better than Robles and Stek but then has a heap of potential.

New manager is on my wish list or we won't finish in Europe positions next year

Realistically, 7th was the best we could have finished this season. With still such a small squad & no Europe on offer, we couldn't quite sign the players we wanted. Even now with Europa on offer we can step up to the next level.

Any manager needs time to build his own squad & I feel Koeman has done a good job bringing in some of his own players, although there is still some of Martinez' rubbish he has to deal with.

You're thoughts on Koeman are very short sighted. Our home form was excellent this season (especially since the turn of the year), just the away form held us back a bit but injuries in the later season didn't help. Moshiri has said there will be funds available & it sounds like he wants s**t done & sorted sooner rather than later, if we struggle & don't improve noticeably next season then yes, we can criticize the manager & it's justified

Wish list?

Obviously a quality keeper - happy with either Pickford or Kasper
Need a CB - VVD?
Striker - ???

How do we all feel about Rooney?

With Europe especially we'll need a good bolster to the squad.

Schmeichel (Leicester have no Europe on offer so could move if price is right) would be my first pick, then Forster, then Pickford

Keane (Burnley)
Robertson (Hull) as a challenger & long term Baines replacement
Deulofeu back into the first team, but I expect Barca will resign him & sell him off at a profit (dodgy, Business Club FC)
Sigurdsson, but still keep Barkley
Sandro (Malaga)
Rooney for support, not guaranteed first team
Would be great if Lukaku stays, but otherwise we need to get the best possible striker available. Just been linked with Ihenacho who knows where the goals are

That's just a start, we need to bring in more depth at right back as Holgate is good but struggles going forward, he's a long term center back. Will also be good to have Galloway back in the mix next season

Realistically, 7th was the best we could have finished this season. With still such a small squad & no Europe on offer, we couldn't quite sign the players we wanted. Even now with Europa on offer we can step up to the next level.

Any manager needs time to build his own squad & I feel Koeman has done a good job bringing in some of his own players, although there is still some of Martinez' rubbish he has to deal with.

You're thoughts on Koeman are very short sighted. Our home form was excellent this season (especially since the turn of the year), just the away form held us back a bit but injuries in the later season didn't help. Moshiri has said there will be funds available & it sounds like he wants s**t done & sorted sooner rather than later, if we struggle & don't improve noticeably next season then yes, we can criticize the manager & it's justified

You make some good points and I agree that Koeman gets a pass mark and I'm pleased he has delivered European Football. However I don't think that he's done a good job of building a squad. Nearly all of his signings are at their peak now (27-32 years old) and have little to no room for improvement (if anything they will go downhill from their 2016-17 form). When you build a squad this way, you are building for now and not 2-3 years down the line, because in 2-3 years time we will have to spend again just to replace what these guys are producing now. I think Koeman operates like this as he doesn't tend to last longer than 2-3 years in the job before moving on and Everton is just a stepping stone for him.

I think Walsh should be in charge of signings and Koeman in charge of coaching the team. Koeman strength seems to be coaching and not building a squad, whereas Walsh has shown that he can be astute in the transfer market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make some good points and I agree that Koeman gets a pass mark and I'm pleased he has delivered European Football. However I don't think that he's done a good job of building a squad. Nearly all of his signings are at their peak now (27-32 years old) and have little to no room for improvement (if anything they will go downhill from their 2016-17 form). When you build a squad this way, you are building for now and not 2-3 years down the line, because in 2-3 years time we will have to spend again just to replace what these guys are producing now. I think Koeman operates like this as he doesn't tend to last longer than 2-3 years in the job before moving on and Everton is just a stepping stone for him.

I think Walsh should be in charge of signings and Koeman in charge of coaching the team. Koeman strength seems to be coaching and not building a squad, whereas Walsh has shown that he can be astute in the transfer market.
Disagree, Koeman's first job was to make the squad an appealing one for transfer targets this coming window. He needed to make some prime signings to show that we can compete on-field.

It's an odd criticism given he has transformed Davies into a Best XI player and has given good chances to the likes of Lookman, Holgate and DCL. Definitely has an eye on the future.

Last edited:

Our form against lower clubs was poor. We usually conceded early and we had a chance to catch Manure and he bottled it with some stupid selections. Topping that off with his Barkley bullshit and wanting to buy 2nd rate hacks who cant get games at other lower EPL clubs.. yeah. What a star manager. Sigurdsson is a good player, but he's not going to take us to the next level. Neither will two Burnley players...

Disagree, Koeman's first job was to make the squad an appealing one for transfer targets this coming window. He needed to make some prime signings to show that we can compete on-field.

It's an odd criticism given he has transformed Davies into a Best XI player and has given good chances to the likes of Lookman, Holgate and DCL. Definitely has an eye on the future.
Yet he bought an old and slow Williams who got worse as the year went on. Kept playing Baines and Jagielka even though time is passing them by. Brought in Valencia who was rubbish 99% of the time and benched Barkley after he plays well. Not to mention seems to rotate his wingers a lot and only plays one true winger.

Yet he bought an old and slow Williams who got worse as the year went on. Kept playing Baines and Jagielka even though time is passing them by. Brought in Valencia who was rubbish 99% of the time and benched Barkley after he plays well. Not to mention seems to rotate his wingers a lot and only plays one true winger.
To be fair Walsh has a lot more to do with the recuritment of players than what Koeman does, cannot really blame him for the players who joined the club.

They are both really moving this club forward with targets like Martina and Deeney..
If Martina is free and depth then what's the issue? Koeman has managed him and clearly thinks he can contribute.

Deeney etc. just rumours at this stage. Put the tissues away.

We will agree to disagree on Koeman's signings. These prime signings haven't made us an appealing club for transfers as evidenced by Lukaku changing his mind and wanting out.

Koeman is a good coach of younger players, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that players like Davies, Holgate and Lookman have made a good start at this level. Koeman has nurtured young talent well all throughout his coaching career. It just makes it more staggering that we didn't sign more younger players with potential in that first transfer window and instead paid £27.5 million on Bolasie (probably the clubs worst ever purchase in the transfer market), £12 million on Williams (still good but will go the way as Jagielka IMO over the course of his contract), Gueye (good business) and tried to sign Sissoko for £30 million in a desperate play in the dying hours of the transfer window. If that deal had have gone through, then Davies wouldn't have played much at all. It was a wasted transfer window IMO and this is why we need Walsh to make the signings and Koeman to coach them, as Walsh has an eye on building for the future whereas Koeman wants to look good in the short term so that he can move onto a better club in two years time (thats the reason why he won't keep quiet about Barcelona).

...and instead paid £27.5 million on Bolasie (probably the clubs worst ever purchase in the transfer market)
Contributed when he played and feel like he would have found consistency had he not done his knee. Certainly missed his creativity when he went down IMO. Looking forward to him being back.

Worst ever? You do know we spent 13.5 on Niasse, yes?

They are both really moving this club forward with targets like Martina and Deeney..

I don't have a problem with the Martina signing, mind you I've been scarred from 10+ years of watching Tony Hibbert. Martina would just be keeping a spot warm for the few months that Coleman is out of action and then he would provide a break the glass in case of emergency should Coleman get injured again or need rest during a fixture build up.

Contributed when he played and feel like he would have found consistency had he not done his knee. Certainly missed his creativity when he went down IMO. Looking forward to him being back.

Worst ever? You do know we spent 13.5 on Niasse, yes?

Bolasie is wildly erratic and IMO wasn't going to suddenly become consistent at 28. He is what he showed he was at Palace and that's being brilliant for 20 minutes every now and then and anonymous the rest of the time. We already had three wingers at the club in Deulafeu, Mirallas and Lennon and he wasn't an improvement on any of them. For £27.5 million and £70k per week wages on a long contract, makes that the second worst purchase in the clubs history for mine (I will concede Niasse is the worst, but we will recoup much of his fee when sold at least due to his Hull performances).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back