Which team's future (4 years) is looking the brightest?

Which team(s) has/have the best future

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep going.

Players that won't be around in 4 years time:

Baguely
Bellchambers
Goddard
Hooker
Howlett
Kelly
Leuenbergaer
Myers
Stanton
Watson

Hurley & Zaharakis will be 31.
Personally I look at players under 25. This sees where a club will be at in 4 years

Collingwood's players under 25:
DEF: Oxley, Schade, Smith, Langdon, Ramsay, Maynard, Crocker
MID: Treloar, Adams, Crisp, Aish, Scharenberg, De Goey, Phillips
FWD: Fasolo, WHE, Moore, Elliot, Broomhead, Wills

Yet to Play: , McCarthy, Sier, Brown, McLarty, Mackie, Lynch, Kirby, Daicos

Last edited:
Essendon Under 25
DEF: Tippa, Hartley, Gleeson, McKenna, Francis, McGrath, McNeice
MID: J. Merrett, Z. Merrett, J. Long, D. Parish,
FWD: Green, Daniher, Fantasia, Langford, Redman

Yet to Play: Morgan, Mutch, Begley, Clarke, Draper, Ridley

IMO
1. GWS
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. St. Kilda
5. Carlton
6. Gold Coast
7. Brisbane
8. Collingwood
9. Adelaide
10. Sydney
11. Richmond
12. Essendon
13. Fremantle
14. North Melbourne
15. Port Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. West Coast
18. Geelong

Personally I look at players under 25. This sees where a club will be at in 4 years

Personally I look at past premiership winning teams and see a lot of output from those in the 29-32 age bracket. So I don't really see the point of restricting this to players under 25.

IMO
1. GWS
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. St. Kilda
5. Carlton
6. Gold Coast
7. Brisbane
8. Collingwood
9. Adelaide
10. Sydney
11. Richmond
12. Essendon
13. Fremantle
14. North Melbourne
15. Port Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. West Coast
18. Geelong

For this list I think you have Carlton too high - they have a lot of very promising defenders but only a couple of promising mids (Cripps, SPS) and few forwards that you could be confident in. I think Curnow and Silvagni will be pretty good though. Also Essendon is too low - especially taking the piss having Richmond above them.

IMO
1. GWS
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. St. Kilda
5. Carlton
6. Gold Coast
7. Brisbane
8. Collingwood
9. Adelaide
10. Sydney
11. Richmond
12. Essendon
13. Fremantle
14. North Melbourne
15. Port Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. West Coast
18. Geelong
Reckon this is around about the mark.

The fact that St Kilda are equal with the dogs though in this poll is a farce!

Do you have that lot above:

DEF: Aliir, Lloyd, Newman, Melican, Marsh, Talia

MID: Parker, Heeney, Mills, Jones, Hewett, Florent

RUCKS: Naismith, Cameron

FWD: Papley, Hayward, Dawson, Cunningham, Robinson, Fox

Personally I look at past premiership winning teams and see a lot of output from those in the 29-32 age bracket. So I don't really see the point of restricting this to players under 25.

For this list I think you have Carlton too high - they have a lot of very promising defenders but only a couple of promising mids (Cripps, SPS) and few forwards that you could be confident in. I think Curnow and Silvagni will be pretty good though. Also Essendon is too low - especially taking the piss having Richmond above them.

The reason I look at under 25's as these players will be the core of the group in 4 years, 22-29

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The big thing with the Dogs under 25's is that most are proven players. The list below is just those who I think will be AFL standard players not including our most recent draftees. 16 are probably best 22 players.

Def: JJ, Adams, Cordy, Williams, Roberts
Mids: Bont, Dahlhaus, Libba, Macrae, Wallis, Daniel, Hunter, Jong, Dunkley, Webb,
Rucks: English
Fwds: T Boyd, Stringer, McLean, C Smith, Dale

FB: Cordy Roberts Webb
HBF: Williams Adams JJ
C: Hunter Wallis Macrae
HF: McLean Stringer Dahlhaus
FF: C Smith Boyd Dale
R: English Bont Libba
IC: Daniel Jong Dunkley Dale

Realistically, good 26/27 year olds are still going to be be around in 4 years. More chance of the good U25s leaving than those players retiring at 29/30.

In all likelihood FA will be relaxed again and player movement will become even more fluid. Even in recent times looking at lists like this is pretty flawed.

If you looked at Hawthorn's list at the end of 2009 considering only players under 25 you would have

DEF: Birchall, Morton, Schoenmakers, Whitecross

MID: Ellis, Kennedy, Lewis, Young, Shiels, Savage

FWD: Dowler, Franklin, McGlynn, Rioli, Roughead, Thorp, Lisle

RUCK: Bailey, Renouf

A fairly uninspiring list (outside of the forwards) and a far cry from the team that won the 2013 flag. Players are starting to move so frequently that making predictions outside of the next 1-2 years is becoming pointless IMO.

I'd say if the dogs had won 2 more games this season we will be talking up the dogs list with GWS's at the moment.
We have -
Bont, 21 (soon to be the best in the league)
Stringer, 22 (he didn't get compared to Gary Ablett for nothing, in four years time he would have ironed out his inconsistancies and will be impacting every game massively)
Macrae, 22 (extremely underrated player who will definitely be an A grader)
JJ, 24 (Best running HBFer and line-breaker in the comp, and will only get better with experience)
Tom Boyd, 21 (Everyone bags him but he has shown massive improvement in the last two weeks and he will be one of the best key forwards in the comp in four years
Dahlhaus, 24 (one of the best mid/fwds in the comp, was being talked up as AA last year. Definitely will be an A grader)
Hunter, 22 (great winger who is still improving. Was also being talked up as AA last year)
Libba, 24 (may not be in his best form at the moment, but at is best is a top 3 clearance player in the comp. Definite A grader)
Wallis, 24 (fantastic in and under player, will be a B+ grader)
Tim English, 19 (will be one of the best ruckman in the league as soon as he puts on muscle)
There are more, such as Clay Smith, Dunkley, Marcus Adams, Daniel and others that are just below these players.

I really rate the Essendon players though, especially Daniher, love watching him play. I think we need to wait until the end of the year to properly gauge where Parish and McGrath are at and then we can properly compare the two teams' lists.

I am not sure they would be comparing your list to GWS, even with a couple more wins. If you have a look at your wins so far 4/5 were to pretty average teams: Collingwood, Sydney(at least back in round 2 they were quite bad), Brisbane, North(3 point win) and one win to a top 8 team (Tigers by 5 points). I think that's why people might not be talking up the Bulldogs that much yet. But you have a very talented list with a good age profile so your future looks great.

Missing the best young ruck in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure they would be comparing your list to GWS, even with a couple more wins. If you have a look at your wins so far 4/5 were to pretty average teams: Collingwood, Sydney(at least back in round 2 they were quite bad), Brisbane, North(3 point win) and one win to a top 8 team (Tigers by 5 points). I think that's why people might not be talking up the Bulldogs that much yet. But you have a very talented list with a good age profile so your future looks great.
Backing up a premiership is quite difficult, with 17 other clubs doing their best to beat us along with some players carrying a premiership hangover. The fact that we won a premiership with a core this young is quite incredible though

I think if we can get Schache ( odds on we will) then we look like having a top 3 forward line in the league in 3 or 4 years.

CHF: Rioli, Scache, Bolton

FF: Castagna, Rewioldt ( still only 30) and Butler

That will be an extremely dangerous forward line.

I think if we can get Schache ( odds on we will) then we look like having a top 3 forward line in the league in 3 or 4 years.

Decent enough but would take a couple of forward-lines over that as you said. As a comparison with no added players our future forward line is as follows;

Langford - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwuti
Fantasia - Francis - Stewart

Others: Laverde, Green, Hooker, Colyer, Zaharakis, Bellchambers

These threads are never even close to right. Even in cases where you would think it would be near impossible to be wrong like going back to GWS/GC start-up and predicting that GWS and Gold Coast would be in premiership contention- you're still going at 1/2 with Gold Coast being hopeless. If you read the threads back then about Gold Coast - well you had the following players that were going to be elite:

Swallow (injuries screwed him but he's still a very good player), Bennell (his own crappy attitude screwed him and left the club), Day (just isn't that good), Prestia (left the club and wasn't an out and out star but is a good player), O'Meara (injuries totally screwed him and left the club) plus nobody could really imagine the end of GAJ's dominance but constant shoulder injuries have brought him back to the pack. Pretty much everyone at GC has had injury issues - its bloody hard to believe their injury management has been anything other than woeful.

My point though is not that Gold Coast have totally failed a list build despite an abundance of resources far above what any rebuilding side would get access to. Its the fact that we simply do not have the ability to accurately predict the development of a list. In a world where there is free agency, draft picks coming in that are increasingly mature and AFL ready, mature state league players, trades and unexpected developments of all types - we simply can't see that far into the future.

This is a world where Brisbane can take top draft picks, talk them up and then they leave 2 years later thus invalidating all their arguments. A world where Hawthorn can trade away their first rounder only to collapse to bottom 4 on the ladder which I am sure their list management did not predict.

You only have to look at last years ladder predictions. Who saw the Swans being as bad as they have been this year? They were pretty much locked in top 4 in 90% of predictions. In fact you would have been lambasted if you posted a ladder prediction that didn't have them in the top 8. If we can't get it right one year in advance - well yeah there's no point to predicting 4 years in advance other than making general comments on the youth.

It staggers me that anyone would rate Essendons future higher then the Dogs. Our young players have proven they can perform when it matters and were the core of a premiership side.

Potentially it could be good but still question marks over literally every player there except Riewoldt. I think Rioli will be a star but the other four (Including Schache) have no guarantees they will be anything above average players.

AFL LADDER 2021:

1. Melbourne
2. Essendon
3. Carlton
4. GWS Giants
5. St Kilda
6. Sydney Swans
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Gold Coast Suns
9. Geelong Cats
10. Port Adelaide
11. Brisbane Lions
12. Collingwood
13. Richmond
14. Adelaide Crows
15. North Melbourne
16. West Coast Eagles
17. Fremantle
18. Hawthorn

acknowledge my bias but this will be the core of our team;

Docherty
Plowman
Marchbank
Weitering
C.Curnow
Cripps
SPS
Silvagni
Williamson
Fisher
Macredie

H.McKay yet to play seniors but penciled in as the key forward

most of our best XVIII bar Simpson could still be playing ie Kreuzer , Murphy

Forgot , Cuningham !!

Pretty happy with McDonald, Brown, Wood, Dumont, Preuss, Simpkin, Clarke, Garner, Vickers-Willis, Hrovat, Turner. Marley Williams has been a great pick up and is only 23 (cheers Bucks) and Ahern is a top ten pick who hasn't played yet. The other McKay is tracking well too.

AFL LADDER 2021:

1. Melbourne
2. Essendon
3. Carlton
4. GWS Giants
5. St Kilda
6. Sydney Swans
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Gold Coast Suns
9. Geelong Cats
10. Port Adelaide
11. Brisbane Lions