RDFL 2017 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually thought second half of last year it wouldn't take a lot to make them a more consistent 5-6 goal a week better side, and hats off to Corey for putting his stamp on it and continuing with the developing environment the club began in 2016. Easier option woulda been to keep spending but this way could reap more fulfilling rewards in the not too distant future.

Playing kids is great, but then playing kids who can actually contribute to the standard is the real bonus. A big bodied set of mits forward and one more hard nosed/grown man thru the mid and things could get fair dinkum real quick ..... not too late with 31-32 days left ;)
A fullforward would be nice, someone like Kent would slot in nicely. Spot on about needing a big bodied onballer.

A fullforward would be nice, someone like Kent would slot in nicely. Spot on about needing a big bodied onballer.

Bloke can obviously play footy but Saturday I'm hoping he was hurt early as he didn't chase once or offer a yelp of Fwd pressure or any significant effort if the ball wasnt within 10 yards.

Was really hoping to see him turn it on after qtr time once general play was controlled by his team mates.

Also how hard is it to get the numbers right on SportingPulse? Not for my benefit but others who may lob not knowing anyone. We're no records by the time I hit Lancefield and a few Tigers digits were wrong

Bloke can obviously play footy but Saturday I'm hoping he was hurt early as he didn't chase once or offer a yelp of Fwd pressure or any significant effort if the ball wasnt within 10 yards.

Was really hoping to see him turn it on after qtr time once general play was controlled by his team mates.

Also how hard is it to get the numbers right on SportingPulse? Not for my benefit but others who may lob not knowing anyone. We're no records by the time I hit Lancefield and a few Tigers digits were wrong

Not sure how many he kicked against Romsey. He kicked the bulk of there score.
He was there best player, maybe he's not happy where he is. He is certainly welcome down at the Redbacks.

Not sure how many he kicked against Romsey. He kicked the bulk of there score.
He was there best player, maybe he's not happy where he is. He is certainly welcome down at the Redbacks.

Agree the guy can seriously play, and again perhaps he was ill or got hurt early in the game because as it just didn't come across like there was an emotional or physical investment in Saturdays clash.

Guess as they say, if you never ask you'll never know

Agree the guy can seriously play, and again perhaps he was ill or got hurt early in the game because as it just didn't come across like there was an emotional or physical investment in Saturdays clash.

Guess as they say, if you never ask you'll never know

Hey Doona, This is a little of topic however I have seen that you post in a few different forums, just wondering who your top 5 country footballers are? the ones you have witnessed over your time. Love to hear what you have!

Interesting to see longwood have been fined $15,000 and coach suspended and fined for breach of points system in the KDFL considering they are last on the ladder without a win

Interesting to see longwood have been fined $15,000 and coach suspended and fined for breach of points system in the KDFL considering they are last on the ladder without a win

Is it correct they only played with 18 & went over the points cap. Coach needs a calculator for Xmas.
Not good.
Feel sorry for the players there!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it correct they only played with 18 & went over the points cap. Coach needs a calculator for Xmas.
Not good.
Feel sorry for the players there!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coach has had a gutful of the situation and is making a stand. The club is being set up to fail by the amount of points they were allocated

Hey Doona, This is a little of topic however I have seen that you post in a few different forums, just wondering who your top 5 country footballers are? the ones you have witnessed over your time. Love to hear what you have!

Doona! taking your time picking your all time 5..... You must have seen a lot of footy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doona! taking your time picking your all time 5..... You must have seen a lot of footy!
I had to scroll back, actually hadn't seen it. Give me time now to gather my thoughts ha ha

On the Longwood thing, nothing wrong with loading up the 2's for a shot at it, cash and points don't come into it then surely?

Longwood will never return to senior flag contention so why not give the volunteers and faithful something to smile about

Last edited:
Very disappointing to see only 3 games of u18s played on weekend compared to 6 across 1sts and 2nds.At least Wallan found out Thursday prior to game Centrals didnt have enough.Im told Riddell v Rockbank was canned on the day.Cant blame any individuals cos if they aint got enough they cant do much but its the kids that are missing out.
Others seem to think the comps healthy but I reckon if 4 teams cant get 3rds the comps cactus.
No good to see Broadford being flogged by so much either but I can see a few more of them coming sadly.

What are the parameters? This will open a big debate, but one I'd love to read. Best players never to be afl/vfl listed? Sanfl/wafl too? Everyone has a story about the bloke who shoulda played league footy. Some great names will be thrown around.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very disappointing to see only 3 games of u18s played on weekend compared to 6 across 1sts and 2nds.At least Wallan found out Thursday prior to game Centrals didnt have enough.Im told Riddell v Rockbank was canned on the day.Cant blame any individuals cos if they aint got enough they cant do much but its the kids that are missing out.
Others seem to think the comps healthy but I reckon if 4 teams cant get 3rds the comps cactus.
No good to see Broadford being flogged by so much either but I can see a few more of them coming sadly.

Riddell Vs Rockbank was played.

My bad im sorry I should of done further research as Ive been bullshitted.Good to hear game was played.Rdfl site does only list 14 Rockbank players also which is odd?

What are the parameters? This will open a big debate, but one I'd love to read. Best players never to be afl/vfl listed? Sanfl/wafl too? Everyone has a story about the bloke who shoulda played league footy. Some great names will be thrown around.

Deep breath .... here we go.

My earliest memory of footy was RDFL about 1981/82 but at that age it was muddy puddles, chocolate frogs and the twirly slide at Romsey.

Mid 80's til 2001 was all Heathcote DFL with a few Seymour (GVFL) and Avenel (KDFL) thrown in - Phil "Toot" Morgan (Colbo) and Grant Wee Hee (White Hills) pound for pound were two amazing small mids who racked up the footy at will.
I remember the first set of live white boots I ever saw were on a Stanhope guy wearing no.18 called Rob Harrison (now deceased) he was pretty good too. To round out a 5 I always rated Damian Slater (Colbo) and let's go with Peter White (Mounts)

Impossible to do major league footy I ain't seen enough of, but Seymour's Jon Solomon (my all time fave country footballer) and Paul Kirby (Tatura) my two best big men in the GVFL, Saad Saad (Seymour) and Adrian Baker (Euroa) the most dynamic forwards given they stood well below 6ft yet played from the goal square. Rounding out a 5th I've never worked out why Paul Newman (Kyabram) never played higher.

Better 5 from Broadford in no order .... the "Bush Ablett" Kenny Beaumont. Came to us at 36/37 won a comp medal in our last premiership and did things you had to see to believe - all whilst being the one to turn the lights off most weeks at closing on a Friday night ha ha.

Chris Dunne was the most gifted Bford junior I can recall, Daniel Fletcher another. Both coulda been (minimum) major league legends if you ask me but the bug of playing highest standard possible never got them.

We only saw him one year but anyone who's heard of Rohan Aldous knows what I'm saying here. Took the best mark I've ever seen during circle work at training in 1991, stood on a guy called Steve Wilson's shoulders in front of the rooms .... just for fun!!! Ro was another who could rack up 40+ a week, but also more gravitated to the district footy scene and may ain fact be the KDFL's most capped league B&F (I think).
Greg Sharp didn't play a lot at home but in his time there he was unreal in a footy and cricket sense. Scraped up a few VFL games when Carlton were flying early 80's I think and played at both ends and thru the middle before his body failed him.

May not be in the best 5 as such but on his day Paul Cleary was an amazing small crumbling forward in the 80's - #12 headband we'd often go goal to goal at kids to watch Clears snap em, bang em over his head etc.

Better ones I've had the pleasure of coaching in some form outside of all that = Tom Butterworth, Chris Leatham (Yea), Adrian Wilson (Yea/Bford), and Shane Jacobs (Kilmore). Those 4 are a CHB, a CHF, genuine centreman and a versatile 6'3" running machine.

More than 5 names I know (tough ask) but a few different "lots of 5" to kill off 20 minutes on a Sunday night ha ha. I ain't seen enough RDFL across my 20-25yrs of memories so won't even delve into that .... over to you Joeblow2

Last edited:
My bad im sorry I should of done further research as Ive been bullshitted.Good to hear game was played.Rdfl site does only list 14 Rockbank players also which is odd?

Has to be a fine, we know how the RDFL (or is it Goldfields) like a fine :D

Last edited:

I heard yesty there was a reunion for the 2007 twos flag, couple of them lads could still get a kick, coulda been a novel way of getting them back for a few games now.

Deep breath .... here we go.

My earliest memory of footy was RDFL about 1981/82 but at that age it was muddy puddles, chocolate frogs and the twirly slide at a Romsey.

Mid 80's til 2001 was all Heathcote DFL with a few Seymour (GVFL) and Avenel (KDFL) thrown in - Phil "Toot" Morgan (Colbo) and Grant Wee Hee (White Hills) pound for pound were two amazing small mids who racked up the footy at will.
I remember the first set of live white boots I ever saw were on a Stanhope guy wearing no.18 called Rob Harrison (now deceased) he was pretty good too. To round out a 5 I always rated Damian Slater (Colbo) and let's go with Peter White (Mounts)

Impossible to do major league footy I ain't seen enough of, but Seymour's Jon Solomon (my all time fave country footballer) and Paul Kirby (Tatura) my two best big men in the GVFL, Saad Saad (Seymour) and Adrian Baker (Euroa) the most dynamic forwards given they stood well below 6ft yet played from the goal square. Rounding out a 5th I've never worked out why Paul Newman (Kyabram) never played higher.

Better 5 from Broadford in no order .... the "Bush Ablett" Kenny Beaumont. Came to us at 36/37 won a comp medal in our last premiership and did things you had to see to believe - all whilst being the one to turn the lights off most weeks at closing on a Friday night ha ha.

Chris Dunne was the most gifted Bford junior I can recall, Daniel Fletcher another. Both coulda been major league legends if you ask me but the bug of playing highest standard possible never got them.

We only saw him one year but anyone who's heard of Rohan Aldous knows what I'm saying here. Took the best mark I've ever seen during circle work at training in 1991, stood on a guy called Steve Wilson's shoulders in front of the rooms .... just for fun!!! Ro was another who could rack up 40+ a week, but also more gravitated to the district footy scene and may also be the KDFL's most capped league B&F (I think).
Greg Sharp didn't play a lot at home but in his time there he was unreal in a footy and cricket sense. Scraped up a few VFL games when Carlton were flying early 80's I think and played at both ends and thru the middle before his body failed him.

May not be in the best 5 as such but on his day Paul Cleary was an amazing small crumbling forward in the 80's - #12 headband we'd often go goal to goal at kids to watch Clears snap em, bang em over his head etc.

Best I've had the pleasure of coaching in some form outside of all that = Tom Butterworth, Chris Leatham (Yea), Adrian Wilson (Yea/Bford), and Shane Jacobs (Kilmore). Those 4 are a CHB, a CHF, genuine centreman and a versatile 6'3" running machine.

More than 5 names I know (tough ask) but a different few "lots of 5" to kill of 20 minutes on a Sunday night ha ha. I ain't seen enough RDFL across my 20-25yrs of memories so won't even delve into that .... over to you Joeblow2
Haven't seen nearly as much footy as you mate, but 3 names I have had the pleasure to watch/play with are Derrick Filo, Kyneton/Castlemaine/Eaglehawk/Kangaroo Flat star who played somewhere around 500 senior games and 30 odd interleague games and was near on un taggable in his prime, Steven Reaper who played for Kyneton and Gisborne and, I'm pretty sure but stand to be corrected, hold the record for the most goals in the Bendigo FNL, and a fella who needs no introduction in this forum, a young fella by the name if Jamie Cuffe, a bloke who was continually the dominant ruckman in this league til he was near on, if not 40.

So many leagues and so many opinions, this topic could have a forum of its own. No right or wrong answer either, but love the reminiscence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back