Marriage equality debate - Pt.3 - Australia votes yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the AFR via Twitter:

DOohSrGW0AAQ-7r.jpg:large

I love the Tony Abbott stat

Found it funny that shorten knew HD had to make this a binding issue for the party as all those tolerant Muslim seats in Sydney's west voted no by a large majority.

Wow most NSW no electorates have high immigration from countries that tend to execute gays... who would have thought.

Interesting also, that if a gubmint creates a law based on religious views that they cannot then cry "religious freedom!" when the shoe is on the other foot, should have not made a law based on religion in the first place. What other kind of whacky laws may we see in the future, introduced based on the culture and understanding of people who lived centuries ago?

He'll abstain because he's a disingenuous coward.

Conservative politicians play their base for the fools they are. That's how they get elected.

Why would anyone expect any different?
Lol don't blame or attack conservative politicians for abstaining. If labor didn't bind their parliamentarians and they weren't going to be booted by the party for voting no on Line with their electorate then we'd see a few of them do the same. Wonder how politicians like husic and Claire will be looked at and supported by some of their constituents. Seems the seats who are the most anti gay are relatively safe centre left ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turnbull's electorate of Wentworth voted 80.8% in favour of SSM.

There are a lot of Jewish SSM supporters in Wentworth (my electorate). In Melbourne too.

While same sex relations aren't permitted in Judaism, for the (fairly obvious) reason that man and woman were created to complement each other physically, emotionally and spiritually, realistically, none of us are so righteous that we are in a position to judge others for their lifestyle choices, which let's face it are probably none of our business anyway. We don't know why some men and women were born with a different sexual preference, but the fact is, they were, and I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be treated equally under the law. Some, mostly orthodox Jews did vote no, but most I know in the Jewish community would have voted yes. Even if the 'no' voters believe SSM is 'wrong', they have no right to force that belief on others if it is not harming them.

(Disclaimer: I didn't vote, as I'm overseas, and I didn't think the vote was going to be so close that an extra vote either way would have influenced the outcome. But I think it's a good result, for the reasons I've mentioned above.)

There are a lot of Jewish SSM supporters in Wentworth (my electorate). In Melbourne too.

While same sex relations aren't permitted in Judaism, for the (fairly obvious) reason that man and woman were created to complement each other physically, emotionally and spiritually, realistically, none of us are so righteous that we are in a position to judge others for their lifestyle choices, which let's face it are probably none of our business anyway. We don't know why some men and women were born with a different sexual preference, but the fact is, they were, and I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be treated equally under the law. Some, mostly orthodox Jews did vote no, but most I know in the Jewish community would have voted yes. Even if the 'no' voters believe SSM is 'wrong', they have no right to force that belief on others if it is not harming them.

(Disclaimer: I didn't vote, as I'm overseas, and I didn't think the vote was going to be so close that an extra vote either way would have influenced the outcome. But I think it's a good result, for the reasons I've mentioned above.)
There was an excellent show with a rabbi on ABC who talked about SSM and Judaism was an excellent insight into how its dealt with in their religion and worth listening if you can download.

In any election that's a landslide.
It's an issue that 49% of Australians voted for change on. We can obviously assume that of the 21% that didn't vote, enough would have voted yes to bring that overall number up to 55-60% had the vote been compulsory. But we can only assume that. Which is why I think solid win is probably a better description of it as opposed to landslide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back