Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If introduced, it would be the sixth rule change to women's footy at the national level... in just 18 months!

Also reducing the interchange to 5, and including time on for the last 2 min of a quarter. Last one seems a bit pointless. I would even consider going to 4 for a bench. Trying to open up play, while 5 of your 21 players are resting at any point seems odd. Especially given the short quarters. You would expect players to keep getting to contests a lot more than they would in the state leagues.

Also reducing the interchange to 5, and including time on for the last 2 min of a quarter. Last one seems a bit pointless. I would even consider going to 4 for a bench. Trying to open up play, while 5 of your 21 players are resting at any point seems odd. Especially given the short quarters. You would expect players to keep getting to contests a lot more than they would in the state leagues.
Last one is to stop "tactical" time wasting both deliberately (taking a long time to kick-in after a behind etc.) as well as through tactics (playing the boundary because the time clock continues even when the ball goes out of bounds).
Fair enough, but it should be 5 minutes I think.

Last one is to stop "tactical" time wasting both deliberately (taking a long time to kick-in after a behind etc.) as well as through tactics (playing the boundary because the time clock continues even when the ball goes out of bounds).
Fair enough, but it should be 5 minutes I think.
Yeh, my reaction was more in line with, it's such a short amount of time, I don't think it will have an effect. A team hugging the boundary to waste time is hardly going to change tactic for the last 2 minutes, and even if you had 3 throw ins for the last 2 minutes, that adds 60-90 sec thereabouts?

It's so frustrating that the AFL feel the need to keep messing with the game. It's not going to encourage people to watch the game if they don't know the rules because they're different than the guy's game. And it's going to hurt the development of the league's skills if the players have to constantly adjust game plans to the changing rules.
To make the changes even more ridiculous, that I'm aware of the leagues under AFLW use the same rules as the guys. I'm playing EDFL and that we know of so far, we're playing AFL rules. So you'll have players playing one set of rules over winter, and the different rules for a few games over summer.

It's so frustrating that the AFL feel the need to keep messing with the game. It's not going to encourage people to watch the game if they don't know the rules because they're different than the guy's game. And it's going to hurt the development of the league's skills if the players have to constantly adjust game plans to the changing rules.
To make the changes even more ridiculous, that I'm aware of the leagues under AFLW use the same rules as the guys. I'm playing EDFL and that we know of so far, we're playing AFL rules. So you'll have players playing one set of rules over winter, and the different rules for a few games over summer.
Not sure this is valid. The State League mens players all play to different rules.

Also I dont watch a game for the rules

A lot of games were held in 30+ degree heat. Sure, most games for the 2018 season are now evening games but it still remains hot well into the night in February.

New AFLW CEO N. Livingstone, in her first week in the job, speaks about the boom in female AF, & how GR clubs are starting to ponder the challenges of accommodating so many more female players into their clubs.
Importantly, & profoundly, she states "... but I hope one day we will get to a time where the girls are full time (my emphasis) professionals".

I cannot recall any senior AFL executive previously stating the AFL intention is for AFLW players to become "full time professionals".
To have 18 AFLW clubs having c.650 female professional full time players is an amazing achievement for the prestige, & strategic growth, of AF. This prediction is even more staggering when it is being made after only the first year of the AFLW!
If a full time, professional AFLW is achieved, it will greatly enhance the growth of AF, particularly in NSW & Qld.

The AFLW, with these pronouncements from their most senior executive, are " laying down the gauntlet" to the other female sports.

IMO, the AFL should increase the no. of Combines, Academies etc in NSW & Qld. to attract more athletic females who are currently playing non-AFL sports.

www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/aflw-ceo-nicole-livingstone-womens-football-booming-season-two/9259028?section-sport

Last edited:
New AFLW CEO N. Livingstone, in her first week in the job, speaks about the boom in female AF, & how GR clubs are starting to ponder the challenges of accommodating so many more female players into their clubs.
Importantly, & profoundly, she states "... but I hope one day we will get to a time where the girls are full time (my emphasis) professionals".

I cannot recall any senior AFL executive previously stating the AFL intention is for AFLW players to become "full time professionals".
To have 18 AFLW clubs having c.650 female professional full time players is an amazing achievement for the prestige, & strategic growth, of AF. This prediction is even more staggering when it is being made after only the first year of the AFLW!
If a full time, professional AFLW is achieved, it will greatly enhance the growth of AF, particularly in NSW & Qld.

The AFLW, with these pronouncements from their most senior executive, are " laying down the gauntlet" to the other female sports.

IMO, the AFL should increase the no. of Combines, Academies etc in NSW & Qld. to attract more females who are currently playing non-AFL sports.

www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/aflw-ceo-nicole-livingstone-womens-football-booming-season-two/9259028?section-sport

I think every football code has recently stated that as an objective

I think every football code has recently stated that as an objective
Has an AFL executive specifically said previously that the AFL hopes/intends/is planning for ALL players in the AFLW to be full time professionals? What was said?
(I had seen comments that the AFL is keen to create "pathways" for female players into the AFLW- which is currently a part time sport for c.95% of its players)

Does anyone know how many (approx.) female professional full time soccer, RU, & RL players there are in the world?

Last edited:
Has an AFL executive specifically said previously that the AFL hopes/intends/is planning for ALL players in the AFLW to be full time professionals? What was said?
(I had seen comments that the AFL is keen to create "pathways" for female players into the AFLW- which is currently a part time sport for c.95% of its players)

Does anyone know how many (approx.) female professional full time soccer, RU, & RL players there are in the world?

Not many....I'd say for soccer, maybe a couple of hundred or so on national contracts with the top 8 to 10 countries. There are I think 5 to 10 full time club teams now but this is over the last couple of years and would almost all be players already on national contracts

Union i think Australia's 7s side might be full time...I think the English 15s team was but perhaps not anymore. Don't think the jillaroos are yet

I would think the aflw would be at the very least a decade away from full professionalism.

I would think the aflw would be at the very least a DECADE away from FULL professionalism.
WOW!
Do you realise, if (hopefully) your prediction of 600+ full time professional AFLW players eventuates in c. 10 years, the :-
. implications for male & female GR AF clubs -their ground availability, new facilities, & related additional fundraising/expenditure for female facilities etc.
. implications for the growth of GR AF female and male regd. player nos.
. the strategic advantages a full time professional AFLW offers to female and male GR AF; & the likely "superiority" GR AF will have over other GR Aust. sports.
. significant AFL resources & expenditure required to pay for 600+ full time, professional AFLW players (plus additional coaches/football department staff). And the "virtuous loop effect" this will have on the AFL itself?

To my knowledge, the above comments by N. Livingstone are the first specific comments by an AFL executive that the AFL"... hopes one day... the (AFLW-my words) girls are full time professionals".
I am not aware of any mainstream media reporting on the enormous significance/implications of the new AFLW CEO making these comments, in her first week in this job. It is strongly arguable her pronounced AFLW intentions are the most strategically important made by any AFL executive since the c.2008 announcements that new teams would be established in the GC & GWS.

Last edited:
WOW!
Do you realise, if (hopefully) your prediction of 600+ full time professional AFLW players eventuates in c. 10 years, the :-
. implications for male & female GR AF clubs -their ground availability, new facilities, & related additional fundraising/expenditure for female facilities etc.
. implications for the growth of GR AF female and male regd. player nos.
. the strategic advantages a full time professional AFLW offers to female and male GR AF; & the likely "superiority" GR AF will have over other GR Aust. sports.
. significant AFL resources & expenditure required to pay for 600+ full time, professional AFLW players (plus additional coaches/football department staff).

To my knowledge, the above comments by N. Livingstone are the first specific comments by an AFL executive that the AFL"... hopes one day... the (AFLW-my words) girls are full time professionals".
I am not aware of any mainstream media reporting on the enormous significance/implications of the new AFLW CEO making these comments, in her first week in this job. It is strongly arguable her pronounced AFLW intentions are the most strategically important made by any AFL executive since the c.2008 announcements that new teams would be established in the GC & GWS.

Geez settle down, I'm saying it is at least a decade away, probably more

NL's comments were an open ended commitment to full professionalism that have been made in every sport. There is nothing profound about them...

The most strategically important "intentions" "pronounced" by an AFL exec may well be GM's announcement of a women's league in 2015. It is definitely not NL saying she hopes there will be full professionalism in the future at some point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NL's comments were an open ended commitment to full professionalism that have been made in every sport. There is NOTHING [?] profound about them
Disagree. 600+ female full time professional AFLW is very profound.
When have the executives of the NRL, ARU, FFA, CA, & BA specifically said they hope to have a large & lengthy domestic league with ALL females FULL TIME PROFESSIONAL players? What was said?
IIRC, the 2015 announcement (& others since) of the AFLW did not specifically state it was the AFL's intention that all AFLW players would eventually be full time professionals.
The strategic significance for AF is related to all 600+ AFLW players, eventually, being full time professionals (cf other sports who might only have very few nos. of female professionals). Also, the related glamour, media exposure, & prestige for AF -& its impact on GR recruitment for females and males.

Netball is offering its Competition (Super Netball) players the possibility of them all becoming full time professionals, at c.$67,000 for each player -but this offer will extend to only c. 80 players (8 teams x 10 players).

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
The advent of the AFLW has IMHO really strengthend the position of our game overall in the Community.
Some of you will say that is the bleeding obvious but our sport will always be under pressure to retain its present status and having the addition of all those thousands of participants will make it more difficult to dislodge from that status.

On the topic of full Professionalism of course the AFLW will reach that stage, and whats the point of the League if that is not the target.
The money will be found to achieve that and it will be found but the time frame is yet to be determined.

The Achilles heels of our game in Australia are NSW and QLD and that is where we need to target more, and the Women in those states taking up our game are definitley breaking into new territory more so than the Men and we welcome them.
Why particularly NSW - There will be thousands of girls/women who are uncommitted to any particular sport and that is who should be reached.
In QLD we are in a better position likely due to much more aggressive marketing and development, and hats off to AFLQ.

We never mentioned the ACT because Gil has predicted with the present development rate he is on public record that our game will be number one by 2021 in that region (Males and Females), Have to wait and see on that one.

We are forecasting the total Australian participation for the women will level out in this period to 500,000, and the normal growth will return in 2019 , because the heartland regions are approaching their current limit by the end of 2018.

We never mentioned the ACT because Gil has predicted with the present development rate he is on public record that our game will be number ONE [?] by 2021 in that region (Males and Females), Have to wait and see on that one.
We are forecasting the total Australian participation for the women will level out in this period to 500,000[?], and the normal growth will return in 2019 , because the heartland regions are approaching their current limit by the end of 2018[?].
What specifically did McLachlan say about "our game (GR regd.nos. &/or AFL comp.?)" in the ACT being "number one by 2021"?

Who (and why) said female AF participation will level out to 500,000 by 2021?

Why do you say, re female AF, ".... the heartland regions are approaching their current limit by the end of 2018"?

Last edited:
The advent of the AFLW has IMHO really strengthend the position of our game overall in the Community.
Some of you will say that is the bleeding obvious but our sport will always be under pressure to retain its present status and having the addition of all those thousands of participants will make it more difficult to dislodge from that status.

On the topic of full Professionalism of course the AFLW will reach that stage, and whats the point of the League if that is not the target.
The money will be found to achieve that and it will be found but the time frame is yet to be determined.

The Achilles heels of our game in Australia are NSW and QLD and that is where we need to target more, and the Women in those states taking up our game are definitley breaking into new territory more so than the Men and we welcome them.
Why particularly NSW - There will be thousands of girls/women who are uncommitted to any particular sport and that is who should be reached.
In QLD we are in a better position likely due to much more aggressive marketing and development, and hats off to AFLQ.

We never mentioned the ACT because Gil has predicted with the present development rate he is on public record that our game will be number one by 2021 in that region (Males and Females), Have to wait and see on that one.

We are forecasting the total Australian participation for the women will level out in this period to 500,000, and the normal growth will return in 2019 , because the heartland regions are approaching their current limit by the end of 2018.

Here is the link to the AFL growth in the ACT and according to Gil if all goes well our game will be "NUMBER ONE."
Of course he can say that and it is a big call but it appears that funding that future growth by the AFL will be no problem, and he is not prone to big statements unlike his predecessor.
Can we suggest any complaints about the statement be forwarded to Gil.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...by-participation-figures-20171130-gzvr3m.html

Here is the link to the AFL growth in the ACT and according to Gil if all goes well our game will be "NUMBER ONE."
Of course he can say that and it is a big call but it appears that funding that future growth by the AFL will be no problem, and he is not prone to big statements unlike his predecessor.
Can we suggest any complaints about the statement be forwarded to Gil.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...by-participation-figures-20171130-gzvr3m.html
I cannot recall any senior AFL official ever publicly making the comment, re regd. AF participation in the ACT (or NSW or Qld), that AF "will be number one" (or words to that effect). Too brash or provocative to say this publicly? Will there be embarassment for the AFL if this doesn't eventuate by 2021?

Also K. Underwood on ABC Offsiders program said today that "a crowd of 50,000+ is expected for the Freo. v. Coll. AFLW game at Perth Stadium in Rd.2".
If this occurs, it will be a magnificent result for female AF, the AFLW (after only 1 year!) & the AFL -likely a WORLD record crowd for a non Olympics/Commonwealth Games stand alone (ie no similar pre or post male matches) female sporting match.
My understanding that the current world record for a non Games female sporting event is the 41,000+ who attended the female AF Charity game held at Adelaide Oval in 1929-no SANFL matches played that weekend.

The AFLW, in its first year, averaged c.6800 for its H & A games -also probably a world record for a female sporting comp. Also, a superb achievement. This is certain to increase as skill standards inevitably rise (which will certainly be evident in average kicking skills this year).
Super Netball might challenge this 6800 crowd average. In its inaugural 2017 season, it averaged c. 6000 per game for its Finals' series.

Last edited:
I cannot recall any senior AFL official ever publicly making the comment, re regd. AF participation in the ACT (or NSW or Qld), that AF "will be number one" (or words to that effect). Too brash or provocative to say this publicly? Will there be embarassment for the AFL if this doesn't eventuate by 2021?

Also K. Underwood on ABC Offsiders program said today that "a crowd of 50,000+ is expected for the Freo. v. Coll. AFLW game at Perth Stadium in Rd.2".
If this occurs, it will be a magnificent result for female AF, the AFLW (after only 1 year!) & the AFL -likely a WORLD record crowd for a non Olympics/Commonwealth Games stand alone (ie no similar pre or post male matches) female sporting match.
My understanding that the current world record for a non Games female sporting event is the 41,000+ who attended the female AF Charity game held at Adelaide Oval in 1929-no SANFL matches played that weekend.

The AFLW, in its first year, averaged c.6800 for its H & A games -also probably a world record for a female sporting comp. Also, a superb achievement. This is certain to increase as skill standards inevitably rise (which will certainly be evident in average kicking skills this year).
Super Netball might challenge this 6800 crowd average. In its inaugural 2017 season, it averaged c. 6000 per game for its Finals' series.
I think we can safely say there is a lot of interest ATM in any activities at the new stadium, however if they get their 50,000 + for the AFLW match it will be a huge plus for recruiting new players for the WAWFL and the WA Amateurs.
If the match had been a Womens Western Derby can guarantee a sell out being a first.

Not dispelling the possibility of a big crowd but I wonder where you're getting your numbers from. The 1999 Women's World Cup, one that was quite prominent in the US in its media coverage, had over 90,000 people to its final at the Rose Bowl.

Even if you are not counting that because of the tournament setting as opposed to a single exhibition game or game in a H&A (even though you should given the criteria in your post was simply not surrounded by other male events), there was a women's soccer game in England in 1920 that had 53,000 people turn up, which is quite notable because it occurred the year before the FA banned females from playing on official pitches.

Not dispelling the possibility of a big crowd but I wonder where you're getting your numbers from. The 1999 Women's World Cup, one that was quite prominent in the US in its media coverage, had over 90,000 people to its final at the Rose Bowl.

Even if you are not counting that because of the tournament setting as opposed to a single exhibition game or game in a H&A (even though you should given the criteria in your post was simply not surrounded by other male events), there was a women's soccer game in England in 1920 that had 53,000 people turn up, which is quite notable because it occurred the year before the FA banned females from playing on official pitches.
My post excluded female match crowds at international events eg Olympics/Comm.Games/World Cups/international matches.
The PS AFLW Freo.v. Coll. match, AFAIK, will be stand alone (no other elite games).

I am referring to female H & A regular weekly matches in a seasonal competition (ie not irregular or non-weekly matches); which are also stand alone (ie the female H & A match is not accompanied by other pre or post elite male or female matches).

I also referred to the female AF women's exhibition match in 1929 at AO which attracted 41,000+. No other games of AF (by males or females) were held pre or post this game at AO.

The soccer game in 1920 in Britain between Kerr's Ladies v. St Helen's Ladies had a very long standing club record crowd of c.53,000. If this match was part of a regular weekly H & A competition, & stand alone, it would probably still hold the H & A record at 53,000 -but I do not know its status.

Last edited:
My post excluded female match crowds at international events eg Olympics/Comm.Games/World Cups/international matches.
The PS AFLW Freo.v. Coll. match, AFAIK, will be stand alone (no other elite games).

I am referring to female H & A regular weekly matches in a seasonal competition (ie not irregular or non-weekly matches); which are also stand alone (ie the female H & A match is not accompanied by other pre or post elite male or female matches).

I also referred to the female AF women's exhibition match in 1929 at AO which attracted 41,000+. No other games of AF (by males or females) were held pre or post this game at AO.

The soccer game in 1920 in Britain between Kerr's Ladies v. St Helen's Ladies had a very long standing club record crowd of c.53,000. If this match was part of a regular weekly H & A competition, & stand alone, it would probably still hold the H & A record at 53,000 -but I do not know its status.
I'm not sure you can really differentiate the Adelaide Oval and 1920 games because to me, like all wome's football back then, it was a novelty game and people would have attended for the same reasons across the globe. You're being overly pedantic and having to add way too many qualifiers in order to have the 1929 game classify as a world record and not the 1920 one.

Maybe we should just be happy with the likelihood that the Perth Stadium game that will break the record for attendance at a female Australian Football game.

I'm not sure you can really differentiate the Adelaide Oval and 1920 games because to me, like all wome's football back then, it was a novelty game and people would have attended for the same reasons across the globe. You're being overly pedantic and having to add way too many qualifiers in order to have the 1929 game classify as a world record and not the 1920 one.

Maybe we should just be happy with the likelihood that the Perth Stadium game that will break the record for attendance at a female Australian Football game.

They will get a huge crowd to the women’s match at the new Perth stadium, that will occur only because of the novelty of the new stadium.

Its interesting that the female football started in the UK during WW1 drew large crowds, and 1 of the reasons people think that womens games were banned on official grounds was because womens games were outdrawing games from the big mens clubs. It was big enough to be seen as a threat.

I'm not sure you can really differentiate the Adelaide Oval and 1920 games because to me, like all wome's football back then, it was a novelty game and people would have attended for the same reasons across the globe. You're being overly pedantic and having to add way too many qualifiers in order to have the 1929 game classify as a world record and not the 1920 one [?]
My view is that the 1920 female soccer match, attracting c.53,000, is the current world record for any non international female game, for any female sport.
The next highest crowd for Kerr's Ladies, AFAIK, was c.25,000. Kerr's Ladies SC played many games over several years -but I do not know if this 53,000 game was in a regular, weekly H & A competition; or if it was a stand alone soccer game (ie not played pre or post with a men's soccer game).

The AO 1929 game, attracting 41,000+, was a "one-off" Charity exhibition game, comprising female AF players -who did not play pre or post with a male AF game.

My understanding is that the AFLW Freo. v. Coll. game will have no pre or post male game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back