40 Prospects to Watch in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Conclusion: the TAC competition isn't broken, as the best teams are getting the highest number of players drafted into the AFL. :thumbsu:
Portello made a legitimate point in regards to the kids playing private school footy. Many of the TAC cup teams are missing their best players for a chunk of the TAC season while these kids play school footy.

So the TAC cup is not solely responsible for the development of these kids.

It was reported and discussed on twitter and on here earlier in the season by some of the draft media, referring to discussions with club scouts, that the quality of the TAC cup was greatly compromised and rather poor this season due to the sheer number of kids playing private school footy. There have been more scouts at most Haileybury games than TAC cup games.

You could draw a parallel and discuss the merits of the Academies up north, because every kid drafted out of NSW or QLD is going to come from an Academy, with the exception of the border regions removed from the GWS zones this year. That's the system, every kid of note is tied to an Academy, just like every Victorian kid of note is tied to a TAC cup team.

If Will Sutherland decides for footy over cricket, I wonder if he'll join a TAC cup team?

Portello made a legitimate point in regards to the kids playing private school footy. Many of the TAC cup teams are missing their best players for a chunk of the TAC season while these kids play school footy.

So the TAC cup is not solely responsible for the development of these kids.

It was reported and discussed on twitter and on here earlier in the season by some of the draft media, referring to discussions with club scouts, that the quality of the TAC cup was greatly compromised and rather poor this season due to the sheer number of kids playing private school footy. There have been more scouts at most Haileybury games than TAC cup games.

You could draw a parallel and discuss the merits of the Academies up north, because every kid drafted out of NSW or QLD is going to come from an Academy, with the exception of the border regions removed from the GWS zones this year. That's the system, every kid of note is tied to an Academy, just like every Victorian kid of note is tied to a TAC cup team.

If Will Sutherland decides for footy over cricket, I wonder if he'll join a TAC cup team?

No doubt Haileybury is stacked with talent this season, partly due to scholarships. The proof will be in the pudding.

If all these Haileybury kids get picked and picked early, despite being from differing TAC programs, then the point may well be valid.

If instead they're not selected, or more spread through the draft, and any identifiable concentration is more referable to TAC success (as it was last year), then I think the trend continues.

I agree that the Metro TAC is at its weakest in the Rounds from 4-10, as school commitments take priority. Hence recruiters would be silly not to go out to APS matches if there's a higher number of draftables running around for Haileybury and Scotch than sayWestern v Calder.

However using Dragons as an example, those top 5 picks didn't seriously enhance their prospects through APS / AGSV performances, it was clearly their National Champs and then TAC Finals performances that shot them up the pecking order. That much should be self evident.

I know of Dow but I feel he hasn't shown me enough in the midfield to force himself into my prospects list. Wins his own football but hasn't shown an ability to to much else.

Looks a definite top 5 pick now.

Looks a definite top 5 pick now.
He's definitely in that top 5 bracket now. Has finally started to use his footskills more in the midfield and has started to hit the scoreboard which is good to see from a mid.

Just reflecting on this with less than a month to Draft night. Seems to me about 25-30 are draftable, probably 15-20 in the top 40.

If true, goes to show how significantly the performances in the 6-12 months affect the draftability of players.

I suspect at least 4 players (Cerra, Brayshaw, Coffield and Dow) didn’t make your original watch list and will probably get taken top 10, 3 in the top 5!

Similar to last year with McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage not being rated heading in to the season.
The academy players always get the best exposure with academy games being found on YouTube pretty easily. Injuries and lack of TAC exposure also play a part. Watching school football helps a lot where I was able to see more of guys like Mitch Riordan and Bailey Smith and seeing them play in different positions.

With TAC games being streamed a lot more aswell I think a lot of people on here can get a lot more on players if they just watch some footage.

Just reflecting on this with less than a month to Draft night. Seems to me about 25-30 are draftable, probably 15-20 in the top 40.

If true, goes to show how significantly the performances in the 6-12 months affect the draftability of players.

I suspect at least 4 players (Cerra, Brayshaw, Coffield and Dow) didn’t make your original watch list and will probably get taken top 10, 3 in the top 5!
Clubs rarely take players on their bottom age form and like to see improvement in their top age year. Players who don't show this improvement or are injuried usually go late draft or not drafted at all. Coffield and Dow are two in particular who I was considering in my top 40 prospects to watch but overlooked for different reasons. Cerra was under an injury cloud and I wasn't sure he was gonna get back to his outstanding u16 form. Brayshaw was the worst call because I believed that he wasnt supremely talented and I have been proven wrong on that for sure.

Since posting your 40 top prospects for 2017, Tyrone Hayes has disappeared off the radar. I understand he had some " disciplinary problems" at some stage this year. Do you know if he is likely to be drafted or rookied, or has he been written off?

Since posting your 40 top prospects for 2017, Tyrone Hayes has disappeared off the radar. I understand he had some " disciplinary problems" at some stage this year. Do you know if he is likely to be drafted or rookied, or has he been written off?
Written off completely. He's been playing for his local club and doesn't look like he's been anywhere near the player he was before he decided to go rogue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs rarely take players on their bottom age form and like to see improvement in their top age year. Players who don't show this improvement or are injuried usually go late draft or not drafted at all. Coffield and Dow are two in particular who I was considering in my top 40 prospects to watch but overlooked for different reasons. Cerra was under an injury cloud and I wasn't sure he was gonna get back to his outstanding u16 form. Brayshaw was the worst call because I believed that he wasnt supremely talented and I have been proven wrong on that for sure.
Hey Grundog,
You mentioned Cerra's injury concerns as reasons for him not making the list. What were Dow's shortcomings or concerns that made you overlook him for your top 40?

Just went back and re read the opening post and to see what standouts there have been, But reading through noticed Richmond had 4 / 40 of the players you listed in P.Naish.J.Higgins,N.Balta,C.Coleman-Jones

Just realised how great this is for my club being premiers and yet still having effectively 4 of the best kids in the country
Cheers mate well done

Hey Grundog,
You mentioned Cerra's injury concerns as reasons for him not making the list. What were Dow's shortcomings or concerns that made you overlook him for your top 40?
I thought his unwillingness to kick in his bottom age year and his lack of damage were going to hurt him but to his credit he proved me and alot of people wrong. And if he keeps improving like this i see no reason for him to become a solid player over the next decade or so.

I thought his unwillingness to kick in his bottom age year and his lack of damage were going to hurt him but to his credit he proved me and alot of people wrong. And if he keeps improving like this i see no reason for him to become a solid player over the next decade or so.

Only a soild player ? A balanced midfielder with good breakaway speed and offensive side. We'd be hoping he'd do a little better that just soild.
Appreciate your good work.

Only a soild player ? A balanced midfielder with good breakaway speed and offensive side. We'd be hoping he'd do a little better that just soild.
Appreciate your good work.
You can't expect ever single player to become a superstar. Paddy Dow may well become better then a solid player but it's up to him to make that happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back