What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mine, too!

Once had a pill-addict housemate who only ever listened to three things - D.O.A., Nomeansno, and Madonna. All at ear-splitting levels. Dude was completely nuts but he did give me an appreciation for D.O.A.'s music (before inevitably reaching the point where I wanted to smash all his CD's into tiny pieces).

Iconic band.

File them next to poutine and Justin Trudeau in the list of awesome Canadian things.

It's funny how some bands you grow up with and grow older with. DOA were like demi-gods for my friends and I in high school. They were just a given. An absolute staple in the tape deck of the Dodge Dart. And now, 30 some-odd years later, Joey Keithley is representing the Greens for his old riding of Burnaby B.C. in last year's provincial elections, and I no longer have to explain to my mum why a guy named Joey "Sh*thead" is worth listening to.

Anyways, RIP Randy Rampage. Thank you for the music, as that Swedish foursome once sang.

Considering the recent gist of this thread, this is perhaps far too recent, but some of Tassie's finest, one of whom is apparently a big North fan.

And some melodramatic, existential dread-tinged rock tunes written by 20-something Melbournites who were probably busy eating smashed avo while recording what, to my philistine ears, is a pretty special 'duet' with the always wonderful Georgia Maq of Camp Cope.

Injun Joe brings back so many memories. I saw the Johnnys more times than I can recall throughout the 80s and for several reformations.

Highlights of a Dangerous Life is an Aussie classic.

Unfortunately Spencer is battling the Big C and hasn't been doing too well.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Injun Joe brings back so many memories. I saw the Johnnys more times than I can recall throughout the 80s and for several reformations.

Highlights of a Dangerous Life is an Aussie classic.

Unfortunately Spencer is battling the Big C and hasn't been doing too well.

Blocked in Thailand.

Considering the recent gist of this thread, this is perhaps far too recent, but some of Tassie's finest, one of whom is apparently a big North fan.

Heh, nice backhand way of saying "wow, you guys are REALLY old".

Yeah, nah, there's a fair (super)chunk of recent stuff being posted here also, ks. You, ageist, you.

I have a feeling I may have mentioned this before in the Basia thread, but I'm a fellow fan of LB. Jumped on board many moons ago when I saw them do an excellent support slot for this killer (old fogey) band at the Corner.....

And some melodramatic, existential dread-tinged rock tunes written by 20-something Melbournites who were probably busy eating smashed avo while recording what, to my philistine ears, is a pretty special 'duet' with the always wonderful Georgia Maq of Camp Cope.

Love a bit of Camp Cope.

Oh, and good to see you back posting again, too, ks.

Just stumbled across Brian Fallon's solo stuff (lead singer of Gaslight Anthem, who are hit and miss for me) and really enjoying it.

Just the sort of lyrically-strong, unremarkable but easy-listening melodic Americana rock/pop I enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Constant references to (world's biggest stoner) Mick Jones in the Strummer biog I'm reading has had me digging out my old Big Audio Dynamite albums for a bit of a revisit. A little dated in parts, but there's something about the 'chilled out Clash + synths and beats' vibe of those first two B.A.D. albums ('This Is Big Audio Dynamite' and 'No.10 Upping Street') that I (still) really enjoy. Plus I've always been a big fan of Mick's strangled, off-key (but in a good way) vocals.

Bonus points to whoever can pick the identity of the two security guards in the first clip.

The criminally under-recognised Karl Hendricks Trio.

Ripping song this.

Karl Hendricks....can guitar.

Fantastic band. Misleading name.

Weddoes rocking it on Hey Hey, complete with Sally Dastey doing some nice gospel-tinged backing vocals, and Daryl "Endless" Somers doing a predictably nauseating intro. (What person under the age of 80 refers to songs as "numbers", ffs?)

The Other Mac.

Spencer P Jones R.I.P.

He played with everyone and anyone.

He did indeed.

Born across the Tasman, but one of those Kiwis we subtly adopted as our own.

Couple of my fave Spencer-related projects....

Hell To Pay (along with Ian Rilen and Cathy Green from X, and DJ and occasional **** ****'s drummer, Tony Biggs).

And a short-lived band by the name of The Green Mist (along with Charlie Owen, Julian Poulson from Moler, and Brian Ritchie from the Violent Femmes).

The talented Tracy Redhead taking lead vocals on this track.

RIP Spence.

He did indeed.

Born across the Tasman, but one of those Kiwis we subtly adopted as our own.

Couple of my fave Spencer-related projects....

Hell To Pay (along with Ian Rilen and Cathy Green from X, and DJ and occasional **** ****'s drummer, Tony Biggs).

And a short-lived band by the name of The Green Mist (along with Charlie Owen, Julian Poulson from Moler, and Brian Ritchie from the Violent Femmes).

The talented Tracy Redhead taking lead vocals on this track.

RIP Spence.
I'll miss the bugger.

Have been on a Spencerthon this week listening to a lot of his body of work.

The Hell to Pay album is a bona fide classic - timeless songs from two masters of their craft.

A couple of my favourite memories of Spencer off stage are him introducing me to the Marquee Moon album by Television and the tale he shared with me about him helping Neil Young put together his set list for the Rainbow Warrior benefits concert in NZ.

Funeral is next Friday 31st.

All the way with SPJ.

Heh, nice backhand way of saying "wow, you guys are REALLY old".

Yeah, nah, there's a fair (super)chunk of recent stuff being posted here also, ks. You, ageist, you.

I have a feeling I may have mentioned this before in the Basia thread, but I'm a fellow fan of LB. Jumped on board many moons ago when I saw them do an excellent support slot for this killer (old fogey) band at the Corner.....

Ha, I thought my ageist tendencies were more latent than they present in that post. I guess I just hate all you old fuddy-duddies. ;)

I do seem to remember you and someone else discussing them some time back. In fact, I think I learnt that one of them is a North fan from someone on here now I think about it.

Love a bit of Camp Cope.

Yup, not only are they excellent, but they're a bloody important band in the current youth alternative music scene. They say a lot of things that really matter.

Oh, and good to see you back posting again, too, ks.
Thank you, mate. I appreciate that.

From me to you as well. I'm not sure you were back yet when I began my BF sabbatical. It's good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back