2018/19 Melbourne Victory Thread - The Four Time Honda Driven Champions!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also no little stripe on the scarf indicating how long you've been a member.
Did yours have an emblem on it? Mine did but nowhere near as obvious as years passed. That being said I actually love the scarf design.

Did everyone get Honda on their membership cards?

Did yours have an emblem on it? Mine did but nowhere near as obvious as years passed. That being said I actually love the scarf design.

Did everyone get Honda on their membership cards?
I didn't see an emblem. I'll have another look when I get home.

I got Honda on my card.

Those of you who are members would have gotten a email today about The Melbourne Victory Academy!

Thought I'll post a link to the Video attached to it, Congrats to the club, state government and the Maribyrnong council for getting it done! I know a lot of hard work has gone into making it all possible! exciting times and a massive step forward for the future of the club! :thumbsu:

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/video/introducing-melbourne-victory-fc-academy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to pick up a pass from gate 1 if you want to stand behind the goals at NE. This is to prevent overcrowding because of NT members. ******* LOL. Get ready for a half empty active areas again boys and girls.

You have to pick up a pass from gate 1 if you want to stand behind the goals at NE. This is to prevent overcrowding because of NT members. ******* LOL. Get ready for a half empty active areas again boys and girls.

They've trialed that before and it was failure wasn't it?
It would have been easier for the club or the head of the N.T to handout wristbands like they use too.

Valeri decision took time as he didn't want to be Victory baggage
Ben McKay
3 minutes
It took Melbourne Victory captain Carl Valeri's teammates - at the height of their A-League championship celebrations - to convince their skipper to go around one more time.

Valeri, 34, signed a one-year deal to stay on at the helm of the A-League superpower weeks after Victory secured their fourth title in May.

Carl Valeri said he was given plenty of time by coach Kevin Muscat.Credit:AAP

The midfielder was unsigned as Victory's season reached a stunning crescendo in the finals series with away defeats of Sydney FC and Newcastle to seal the championship.

Throughout, Victory wanted their captain to stay, but the veteran delayed putting pen to paper as he chased another trophy.

As he returned to Melbourne after the grand final, he was still unclear on whether it would be his last game.

"I went away and the boys kind of talked me into it in the end," he said.

"I was able to take that time, I was very lucky and very fortunate and not many players have that luxury.

"[Coach] Kevin [Muscat] supported me through the whole thing. He said 'there's something there for you. Let me know your decision.' The club supported me."

Valeri said the central question was "Am I going to be as committed as much as I am?".

"If I'm not 100 per cent then I didn't want to be baggage," he said.

"I've seen it happen to players in the past. They become baggage and you become toxic.

"It was the right decision and I was really glad I signed.

"Who knows if I will go on again but I'm 100 per cent focused on this year."

Ahead of his fifth domestic season, Valeri reported his body was in tip-top shape.

But the reality is he might not be required for the full 27-round campaign after a busy off-season of recruitment from Muscat.

Spaniard Raul Baena joins the midfield ranks, where both Valeri, Leigh Broxham, Terry Antonis and Josh Hope can operate.

Further forward, new signings Ola Toivonen and Keisuke Honda are expected to shake up Victory's attacking style this season, which begins on Saturday night with the Melbourne derby.

"We are going to be playing a different style. Kevin has alluded to that in his interviews," Valeri said.

"An exciting style, but the core principles of the way we played in the last four years that I've been involved are the same.

"The DNA will be the same. We will be an aggressive team, not by tackles but by pressure.

"We are going to take it step by step and what a first big step to take in the derby."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...nt-to-be-victory-baggage-20181015-p509qe.html

Goes to show how respected Captain Carl is at the club and by his teammates.

They've trialed that before and it was failure wasn't it?
It would have been easier for the club or the head of the N.T to handout wristbands like they use too.

They just need to make an entire area behind the goals as GA. They've allocated 3 middle bays for NT which will be half full and there's all these GA members that want to stand behind the goals but they can't.

I posted on here couple months how it all sounded too good to be true. One thing I've learned when it comes to Victory and active support is that there's always a catch.

Hey guys, I'm genuinely intrigued.

There has been a couple of disappointing results recently for you guys in the pre-season. Losing to a Roy Krishna hattrick at AAMI Park and then 2-1 in Adelaide. Yes I know it is still the pre-season but... For Victory fans, surely that still wouldn't go down all too well?

Not baiting, just interested how you're feeling. I saw the overarching optimism in the posts from September, but not so much in October, so...

And good luck for the new season!

Tbh I’m not that optimistic about going back to back this season.
Historically it’s been proven very difficult to back up a strong season.

There’s been a lot of unheaval so it might not just click.

There’s also questions about our depth which I guess is problematic in a salary capped league.

As you know, regular season matters not other than qualifying for the finals. Winning the GF is.

It will take time for the team to gel no doubt. Hopefully that creates uncertainty for the rest of the league and also unpredictability in the way we play.

Back to back is hard :(

We'll go unbeaten I reckon, genuinely think this is the best team on paper we've had in some time. Is actually well balanced.

I've gone back from the toffee section to GA (as my mate didn't renew his membership), I don't have to buy a ticket or anything do I? Just rock up and sit anywhere in GA.

There has been a couple of disappointing results recently for you guys in the pre-season. Losing to a Roy Krishna hattrick at AAMI Park and then 2-1 in Adelaide. Yes I know it is still the pre-season but... For Victory fans, surely that still wouldn't go down all too well?

Not baiting, just interested how you're feeling. I saw the overarching optimism in the posts from September, but not so much in October, so...

I didn't expect much this early on tbh. Nix fans can treat practice matches seriously but for us its all about peaking at the right time! Don't forget we also have an ACL campaign to consider one the club has recruited for and expect to go deep into the tournament!
We virtually have a new squad the match against Wellington was the first time our new signings all played together. Kev has come out publicly and said we are going to be changing game styles! It will take time to gel, to get everyone to click together.

So to answer your question no I'm not concerned, It may all come together on Saturday it may take two months like last season (remember we didn't win a game in our first six matches last season, hell you can go a quarter of the season without wining in this league and still end up on top!) but I'm confidant we will get it right and peak at the right time! eventually :)

#InKevWeTrust

Last edited:
We'll go unbeaten I reckon, genuinely think this is the best team on paper we've had in some time. Is actually well balanced.

I've gone back from the toffee section to GA (as my mate didn't renew his membership), I don't have to buy a ticket or anything do I? Just rock up and sit anywhere in GA.

Unbeaten wow!! it is a great squad (on paper anyway) but every other A-league squad is well improved from last season too imo, Sydney and Adelaide especially look vastly improved and Perth with Poppa you never know what they will dish up even the CCM have a very good squad Mulvey has found some fabulous recruits. I think this could be one of the best seasons very close no standout and no easy beats

I'll be happy to just squeeze into the finals! because after that all you need to do is just win three games, piece of piss :D

Last edited:

Last year we were still garbage in February and we still won the toilet seat. ****ed if I care how we're looking in September/October when blokes like Honda and Neidermeier have played about as many minutes this season as I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back