make sure you’re listening to @1116sen

7.05am – Paddy McCartin
9.35am – Matt Finnis
12.40pm – Nathan Brown
4.35pm – Josh Bruce
8.50pm – Jack Sinclair
6.20pm – Jack Billings

#withstkilda https://t.co/e1X1oIPXNB

Listening to Paddy gee he’s a mature young bloke. Really hope he has a good run at it.

Interesting that he said Rats, Lades & Playfair have been running training & structures & Richo hasn’t involved himself in that side of things. It’s an obvious change in coaching direction. I wonder if that was part of the review, with Richo needing to step back & have greater oversight instead of being hands on.

It’s likely to be an unpopular opinion but I applaud GT for highlighting the issue of recreational drug use in the AFL, which by extension is highlighting the issue in society amongst young people.

GT was asked a direct question & he answered it by discussing his experience, which just happened to be a conversation with an experienced ex player that told him rec drug use was rife. GT has since clarified that he believes about 50% of first team players have tried/experimented. Seems about right to me.

We see in the media & more broadly in society, people constantly avoid the truth for fear of offending someone. That’s all well & good for many topics but topics such as drug use, mental health, etc absolutely should not be avoided. GT has commenced an important topic that does so much harm to individuals & their families & friends. If he needs to put a football club & football code at the forefront of discussion to get the conversation started that’s fine by me.

If any players such as Dal, Hayes, Roo, etc take exceptional to what GT (& his confidant) stated then the onus is on them to come forward & say they were/are clean. GT didn’t name anyone & only conveyed what he was told.

I’m not overly concerned with what GT’s motivation is. Perhaps he really does care about the harm drugs have on people, or he’s feeding his own ego, or is it financial (unlikely)?

We’ve seen with the NRL the impact ignoring these critical topics has done to the code. I’d like the AFL to own the fact there’s a drug problem amongst young players & society - without identifying individuals. Be a champion at education & get some relevant sponsors on board.
No, the onus is on the alleger to name names.
Headline grab, by a yesterdays man for his white affluent old man podcast, with their simplistic arrogant mansplaining opinions on things they have no idea about.

Pretty pathetic in my view.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listening to Paddy gee he’s a mature young bloke. Really hope he has a good run at it.

Interesting that he said Rats, Lades & Playfair have been running training & structures & Richo hasn’t involved himself in that side of things. It’s an obvious change in coaching direction. I wonder if that was part of the review, with Richo needing to step back & have greater oversight instead of being hands on.
Reckon you are spot on re the coaching.

Headline grab, by a yesterdays man for his white affluent old man podcast, with their simplistic arrogant mansplaining opinions on things they have no idea about.

I agree.
Why should an innocent person have to come out and express his innocence, which conversely will make him look guilty in the eyes of some.

By all means say that drug taking is a concern throughout the competition, and take the AFL to task for its drug policy, but why come out and say explicitly that it was rife at the Saints?

I agree.
Why should an innocent person have to come out and express his innocence, which conversely will make him look guilty in the eyes of some.

By all means say that drug taking is a concern throughout the competition, and take the AFL to task for its drug policy, but why come out and say explicitly that it was rife at the Saints?
Some people just want to be in the headlines - this ex-coach is one of them

Naming individuals is too far IMO. But I can see where you are coming from.

To be honest I’m not concerned with what GT’s motivation was. It’s a topic that should be discussed & not swept under the carpet, which the AFL absolutely do.

So we have 44 players being looked at down the barrel, hey boys its up to you to prove yourself innocent.

Piss off Thomas, go on another diet you has been.
More like 70 players over his period as the coach.
He has smeared 70 players and wont name names.

And where is he taking any responsibility if true? A failure in leadership, he was thick as with plenty of players, but was unaware? Yeah, the more I think about this, the more it is a hasbeen wanting to promote a boring right wing podcast by ignorant old white men.
They are all piss heads, love the neuro toxins, but tut tut about a bit of choof, and a few toots for the snoot.

FMD, why dont they look at the bigger picture? South and Central American drug cartels are flooding Australia with cheap coke.

While Morrison whips up hysteria about a couple of hundred boat people like it is a security threat, we hear nothing of the assault on our kids by the deluge of drugs coming from Mexico and Columbia.
The big picture gets lost in their narrow rigid minds.

I think it lacked class to resond specifically about St. Kilda leading into a pretty damn important preseason.
He could easily have deflected the question, but seems desperate to hold on to his media "presence".

BUT I think naming names would be even more shameful, especially if he was told this information and didn't see it himself. Putting names out there has pretty big implications for their families, jobs, friends. I'd rather hear of rumour and innuendo than have names put out there either during or post career.

Those saying drug use should be talked about and not swept under the carpet. Yeah, I agree but not by media parasites like Mike Sheahan looking for headlines to stay relevant. There's a way to discuss these things without simply trying to profit from them at the expense of others.

Finally, about being tarnished by the same brush and having to prove innocence. I think that's hogwash, and it's precious. It's like that Gilette ad suggesting men sort their s**t out. Lots of guys said they didn't want to be put in the same group as murderers, rapists e.t.c. I think that's pretty damn precious, because the problem is there and we are in the same group. The drug problem is there (whether Thomas said it or not), and those players WERE in the same group/team, and I call BS that they didn't know anything about it. Dal and co could be a bit less worried about their own image and a bit more honest and concerned for the welfare of players that are taking drugs, especially a lot of drugs.

I feel this tracks back to his stint with the All Blacks prior to the start of the 2018 season.

Paddy speaks about how this year has been the first uninterrupted preseason in his career.

Acknowledges the diabetes is his biggest challenge as a professional athlete. Also says that he has never been more comfortable with managing it than he is now.

Speaks about the fact that he is running personal bests at training. Says the group generally is fitter. It is the hardest preseason he has done.

Direct quote ‘Richo has been unreal’ (don’t shoot the messenger). Leaving the drills to be run by the new assistants group.

Paddy, Bruce & Skunk been training as a forward line trio. Enjoying Rattens input into the forward group.

Cried watching ‘A Star is Born’.

Paddy speaks naturally and is very comfortable in the media. The fact that this preseason we have seen less of him makes me feel positive about where he is at. Get the feeling he is being given the space to focus on his own fitness and form.

My 2019 prediction - Paddy will kick his first bag this year. And hopefully will develop an appetite for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy speaks about how this year has been the first uninterrupted preseason in his career.

Acknowledges the diabetes is his biggest challenge as a professional athlete. Also says that he has never been more comfortable with managing it than he is now.

Speaks about the fact that he is running personal bests at training. Says the group generally is fitter. It is the hardest preseason he has done.

Direct quote ‘Richo has been unreal’ (don’t shoot the messenger). Leaving the drills to be run by the new assistants group.

Paddy, Bruce & Skunk been training as a forward line trio. Enjoying Rattens input into the forward group.

Cried watching ‘A Star is Born’.

Paddy speaks naturally and is very comfortable in the media. The fact that this preseason we have seen less of him makes me feel positive about where he is at. Get the feeling he is being given the space to focus on his own fitness and form.

My 2019 prediction - Paddy will kick his first bag this year. And hopefully will develop an appetite for it.

Lock in Paddy, Bruce & Membrey for r1.

I agree.

His memory is going. He's confused Butterss & his cohorts with players .

he's pretty quick in a straight line, maybe this year he'll have the extra step he needs to make it!

Oh boy im falling for the preseason hype again :O

It helps when they speed up the footage.

i think (and just my opinion) the fact that the new assistants actually have a clue what is going on and have been in successful enviroments means that they are trusted to do more and take control more .. last year the assistants were pretty much seat warmers so Richo did more as the quality wasnt there

on the GT thing i have a huge respect for the man he has done some really top things for this club and for supporters of this club but i think the need tho have something to say sometime clouds his judgment on what and when to say things .. that era of 2002 to 2007 the AFL and its players was pretty well known to be indulging in stuff not promoting an image the AFL want... this is not just St Kilda but all clubs ... i think there was a period of experimentation by lots and lots of players who "tried" things for the first time in that era.. the overwhelming majority tried it and never felt the need to do it again a small minority kept it up and even smaller minority got intrenched into it

on the GT thing i have a huge respect for the man he has done some really top things for this club and for supporters of this club but i think the need tho have something to say sometime clouds his judgment on what and when to say things .. that era of 2002 to 2007 the AFL and its players was pretty well known to be indulging in stuff not promoting an image the AFL want... this is not just St Kilda but all clubs ... i think there was a period of experimentation by lots and lots of players who "tried" things for the first time in that era.. the overwhelming majority tried it and never felt the need to do it again a small minority kept it up and even smaller minority got intrenched into it
Completely understandable, but why bring it up now? I understand GT is honest, it was the way he talked about it that upset the majority

i think (and just my opinion) the fact that the new assistants actually have a clue what is going on and have been in successful enviroments means that they are trusted to do more and take control more .. last year the assistants were pretty much seat warmers so Richo did more as the quality wasnt there
Well we left it to the assistants last preseason and we saw how great that was.

The old head coach does everything model is long gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back