Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, you consider that "straight, white dudes" are a problem? If so, why are they open for non-PC comments? Are they not entitled to the same "protection" as other groupings?

I'm just pointing out that if everything you read on a topic is written by straight white dudes, you'll miss out on the perspectives necessary to understand what other people are talking about.

Just in case it's not crystal clear, straight white dudes aren't a problem. They just have a disproportionate influence in having their opinions broadcast to the size of their demographic, to the point where all some people hear is their opinions.

It's actually quite difficult. I really have no idea if you are taking this piss with this post or deathly serious.

Half and half as always. I'm never fully serious, but the angst some people display over this stuff is way over the top.

I for one have absolutely no trouble navigating the current environment, and it's mainly because I put in a little effort to find out why people get upset over different things without just assuming they're wrong.

I also have no fear about getting it wrong, because I can apologize and mean it.

I don't think people have changed much. The big difference is how much further what you say can travel, which means people are much more likely to encounter criticism. If there's one thing people are generally really bad at, it's handling criticism.

I'm just pointing out that if everything you read on a topic is written by straight white dudes, you'll miss out on the perspectives necessary to understand what other people are talking about.

Just in case it's not crystal clear, straight white dudes aren't a problem. They just have a disproportionate influence in having their opinions broadcast to the size of their demographic, to the point where all some people hear is their opinions.

Sounds remarkably like a racist, sexist, heterophobic rant to me.

Put it this way then:

The Victorian media aren’t inherently a problem, just that when 100% of football media is based in Victoria the perspectives of other clubs and interstate opinions can get pushed aside.

It’s important to try to consume non Victorian football media to give yourself the best chance at seeing football issues from other perspectives.

That doesn’t mean that Victorian football media is itself an issue, just that you can get a warped perception of football when you solely consume Victorian football media.

Mumford might be reported for striking someone in his first practice game back.

White line fever both on and off field it seems.
Aren't the AFL cracking down on any sort of punching this year? Niggly tummy taps etc ncluded? Seeing as any suspension has to be served in season and cannot be served in conjunction with the club suspension already imposed he might be out till about round 5 or 6 minimum. Or they wooll say nothing in it move on.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle go out and get Jesse Hogan, who I’m consistently told is a reliable key forward, and are playing him as a high half forward running through the centre.

Great gag that.
I've heard Hogan isn't that fussy about keeping to himself how underwhelmed he is to be at Freo.

I've heard Hogan isn't that fussy about keeping to himself how underwhelmed he is to be at Freo.

Seems like the guy is doing it a bit rough after losing his dad and his own bout with cancer. It's a lot to take on as a young person, so not hugely surprising he's not super motivated really.

Still no trophies for the Dockers with Nat Fyfe's team choking in the grand final of AFLX last night.

Heard Montagna has been employed as a talent scout for Fremantle.

He's got history, did well in that role for Milne before.

From the back page of the West:

_20190223_164032.JPG

Guy looks like he should be handing out Scientology pamphlets.

The same said white dudes in the last 70 years have apparently presided over the end of the Whie Australia Policy, ended the discrimination of indigenous Australians not being able to vote, introduced legalisation of same sex marriage, introduced female quotas in the ALP, ended segregation in the USA, defeated fascism in the 2nd WW, have overseen the dramatic growth in world economic growth, presided over almost universal health advances that have resulted in dramatic increases in average life spans & allowed OZ to be a multi-cultural society.

And most importantly have given snowflakes the avenues to have a voice (including the free expression to call them MP & S).

The world wasn’t a pretty place a generation ago and given the above, perhaps their influence is not disproportionate at all.

So you are pointing out it is very much like Monty Python did in Life of Brian.

What have the Romans ever done for us?
Roads
Water
Sanitation
Safety
etc

The same said white dudes in the last 70 years have apparently presided over the end of the Whie Australia Policy, ended the discrimination of indigenous Australians not being able to vote, introduced legalisation of same sex marriage, introduced female quotas in the ALP, ended segregation in the USA, defeated fascism in the 2nd WW, have overseen the dramatic growth in world economic growth, presided over almost universal health advances that have resulted in dramatic increases in average life spans & allowed OZ to be a multi-cultural society.

And most importantly have given snowflakes the avenues to have a voice (including the free expression to call them MP & S).

The world wasn’t a pretty place a generation ago and given the above, perhaps their influence is not disproportionate at all.
Buuuut...
8809ebb27e54b57a78a2a1f362b50b36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back