Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all,

Long time reader, 1st time poster.
A lifelong Lions supporter, i truly believe we have turned the corner now. Fagan and co. have got us playing some much improved footy that should start to see us climb the ladder slowly but surely.

As i live overseas, i get my footy fix and news via bigfooty mostly. My question to those that can attend training.........How is James Madden traveling? I haven't seen his name mentioned much on this forum.There is not a lot of footage of him for us to see, but my connection in Ireland works closely with a Gaelic team and says he's a freak and can adapt to anything.

He already has lightning pace and excellent Gaelic skills, just wondering how he will adapt. If anyone can give an insight to his skills pre-season, i think he could be very handy for us if Fagan requires more pace.

Hello all,

A lifelong Lions supporter, i truly believe we have turned the corner now. Fagan and co. have got us playing some much improved footy that should start to see us climb the ladder slowly but surely.

As i live overseas, i get my footy fix and news via bigfooty mostly. My question to those that can attend training.........How is James Madden traveling? I haven't seen his name mentioned much on this forum.There is not a lot of footage of him for us to see, but my connection in Ireland works closely with a Gaelic team and says he's a freak and can adapt to anything.

He already has lightning pace and excellent Gaelic skills, just wondering how he will adapt. If anyone can give an insight to his skills pre-season, i think he could be very handy for us if Fagan requires more pace.

Maybe the coaches have talked to those who have attended training and they’re all part of a conspiracy to keep his process quiet.

Totes legit bro. ;)

Maybe the coaches have talked to those who have attended training and they’re all part of a conspiracy to keep his process quiet.

Totes legit bro. ;)

Could be right there lad :cool:
Any of the conspirators at our club wish to share privately? :greenalien:
#trusttheprocess

Hello all,

Welcome mate!

blynd_freddie over to you to get your thoughts on Madden ;)

I think Adams will be best 22 but agree he needs to prove it first. He is in a position where there is decent battles for top spot, he isnt 100% fit and is still new to the team. He was recruited to be best 22, but he needs to work his way in.
I think the need to work hard and regularly produce on game day should apply to all players. With our added depth, we should not be afraid to drop anyone who plays like they deserve a game for just turning up.

Hello all,

Welcome. I've been to training a few times and can't say that James Madden has stood out in any particular way, I haven't gone out of my way to observe him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't mind watching the actual games of AFLX. Since it's been so long since the GF last year, I'll take any footy I can atm. While it's like a glorified training run, you get to see more of the players' natural talent since it's so uncongested. What I couldn't stand was everything else - the players' entrance, the flame throwers etc...

Actually Gil reminds me of Mr Burns...

mr burns.jpg

Hello all,

Welcome mate.

I can't give you a lot of extra info on how James Madden had been going, but I did notice this:

In one of the the preseason Vlogs he seemed to be starting as a back pocket for the second team (unsurprisingly in his first match sim). That would have matched him against either Charlie Cameron or Linc McCarthy. A good test.

At about the 2:01 minute mark of this video, you'll see Zorko shark the ball at speed from a ruck contest on the wing and looks to be clear to kick forward before a desperate late smother picks the ball off his boot laces. Pretty sure that's James.

He manages to then trap the loose ball and almost breaks away before Zorko wraps him up.

It's only 3 seconds of footage, but at the time I found myself rewinding it to figure out who it was.

James obviously has pace but it takes serious skill to pull that off against someone like Zorko at full pace. Even to see it as an possible option in a game you're so new to is impressive.

Last edited:
Welcome mate!

blynd_freddie over to you to get your thoughts on Madden ;)

berrylicious

Had only caught a couple of Hobart training sessions and like what I see but there is a lot to learn. Not sure if he gets a run in the twos practice match against the Dees next month, I hope he does as this should give all/me a clearer indication of how well he is tracking. ;)

Tex Walker may have been the last player commentator I would have chosen for special comments.
Heath Shaw would give him a run for his money in that contest I think. They gave that rocket surgeon a mic to be a boundary rider at last year's AFLX competition, so he spent most of the time during our game interviewing his teammates and then clean forgot that Roger Federer plays tennis, not golf.

Heath Shaw would give him a run for his money in that contest I think. They gave that rocket surgeon a mic to be a boundary rider at last year's AFLX competition, so he spent most of the time during our game interviewing his teammates and then clean forgot that Roger Federer plays tennis, not golf.
I remember that where he was interviewing his teamates. Was ridiculous, even talking about one of their birthdays or something stupid.

Yeah you’d think a frontal lobotomy would preclude a media career, but Mark Ricciuto was a real trailblazer there for others to follow.
There’s something childlike about Roo’s commentary that makes me laugh and not able to hate him as much as I’d like to. He’s got that whiniging/meth/bogan voice but then kinda offsets with a chuckle that’s got a bit of the Dr Hibberd.

There’s something childlike about Roo’s commentary that makes me laugh and not able to hate him as much as I’d like to. He’s got that whiniging/meth/bogan voice but then kinda offsets with a chuckle that’s got a bit of the Dr Hibberd.

Yeah, the problem is that he doesn't provide anything more insightful than what your hungover mate on the couch (who barely watches AFL) does. And he gets paid for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back