Our 2019 season

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just watched a few games from our 2019 season again and gee we'd do well to have a look at how we played that year

obviously exceeded expectations that year but we were more dynamic in how we played and everyone was running a lot harder

even the last game against Richmond at the MCG we put up more of a fight than we did against the Dees a few weeks ago

wonder if the coaching staff and the boys look back at games during that year to realise what we are capable of doing

Last edited:
I kind of have a theory this is what starts to happen when your game plan starts getting found out and other teams learn how to play against you.

If you remember the Giants in 2016, they had that orange tsunami thing going on. Then by 2019 they hadn't really changed anything, but they'd become a hard team to watch. I mean they won that prelim final 56-52 which was a world removed from the way they played 3 years earlier.

So I suspect the same thing has happened to us, which I guess is a lesson that your game plan needs to continue to evolve. Other teams do improve, they have improved, and if we aren't improving and continuing to evolve, we're going backwards.

I think the only real positive evolution to our game since 2019 has been to add an element of short kicking and lateral ball movement (ie switches etc). Which I'm not sure is sustainable in finals. In fact I'm sure it's not - Geelong of 2016-21 is ample evidence of this.

2019 was one of the most exciting and fun years of footy. I still think that that was our best year to win the flag when everything just clicked. I personally don't think we've played as well since and why I give us no chance this year. The likes of Zorko, Rich, Lyons, Robinson and a few others were at the top of there games and have all, unsurprisingly with age, regressed a fair bit by 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back