Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

PORT Adelaide will roll out a new-look side with four debutants for its season-opener against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday.

Power coach Ken Hinkley confirmed on Tuesday that first-round draft picks Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma will all take on the Demons, along with third-year midfielder Willem Drew.

Marquee recruit West Coast premiership-winning ruckman Scott Lycett and former Hawthorn defender Ryan Burton will also play their first games for the Power.

All up, the Power will have 11 changes to the team that lost to Essendon in round 23 last year.

"It makes it hard for Melbourne to predict what we're going to do, because we don't know what we're going to do," Hinkley told reporters.

"It's incredibly exciting, there's no doubt about that."

Not sure who the other five are
Hi, Demons!
From our board:

"Ken says there are 11 players playing on Saturday that didn’t in R23 last year. 6 are debutants for the club."

"Lycett, Burton, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, and Drew = 6
+ Marshall, Amon, Bonner, Clurey, and Rockliff = 11

Out of Rd 23 side
Form: Farrell, Frampton, Sam Gray, and Howard
Injury: Lienert, and Wines
Left club: Hombsch, Neade, Pittard, Polec, and Wingard"

---
That’s a lot of kids..

Yes, that is. Still, they have been playing well.

Hi, Demons!
From our board:

"Ken says there are 11 players playing on Saturday that didn’t in R23 last year. 6 are debutants for the club."

"Lycett, Burton, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, and Drew = 6
+ Marshall, Amon, Bonner, Clurey, and Rockliff = 11

Out of Rd 23 side
Form: Farrell, Frampton, Sam Gray, and Howard
Injury: Lienert, and Wines
Left club: Hombsch, Neade, Pittard, Polec, and Wingard"

---

Yes, that is. Still, they have been playing well.
Does that mean Watts is in on not? I can't remember if he played R23 2018 for you guys?

PORT Adelaide will roll out a new-look side with four debutants for its season-opener against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday.

Power coach Ken Hinkley confirmed on Tuesday that first-round draft picks Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma will all take on the Demons, along with third-year midfielder Willem Drew.
Well, that either means Duursma is gonna meet the axe after losing his first game, or is gonna score the winning goal. Why did the South Gippslander have to play Melbourne first round?

Hai guysth, (and PG)...

Don't know about you but this has been the quickest off-season I can remember in quite some time ( I guess that's how it feels when your team actually makes the finals)

I'll be heading to the G this week with my boy to see big Max's 100th, really looking forward to it, although right at this moment I'm thinking Port will actually win, wouldn't be surprised if we started a bit slow this year. A lot of the boys looked very rusty vs Brisbane. Again, I guess that's just how it is when you have less off-season to prepare than usual.

Speaking of Max, will be interesting to see how he plays vs Lycett and Ryder, but Lycett in particular after he's was given an absolute bath by him in the prelim against west coast. Not often Max gets beaten let alone taken to cleaners, I'm expecting the big fella to have a big game.

Looking forward to seeing May live although I suspect he will be one of our players struggling for touch early in the year coming off a limited preseason.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, but Port by 3 goals for me after jumping us early and maintaining a buffer throughout with sloppy play by us making a comeback attempt impossible.

As always MFC, feel free to prove me wrong and change my mind:

images

Marquee recruit West Coast premiership-winning ruckman Scott Lycett and former Hawthorn defender Ryan Burton will also play their first games for the Power.

All up, the Power will have 11 changes to the team that lost to Essendon in round 23 last year.

"It makes it hard for Melbourne to predict what we're going to do, because we don't know what we're going to do," Hinkley told reporters.

"It's incredibly exciting, there's no doubt about that."

Not sure who the other five are

Confirmed Outs (7): Polec (Gone), Pittard (Gone), Wingard (Gone), Hombsch (Gone), Neade (Gone), Wines (injured), Lienart (injured)

Possible Outs (4): Ryder (injured), Howard, Frampton, Farell

Confirmed Ins (6): Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Drew, Lycett, Burton

Possible Ins (5): Rockliff, Bonner, Amon, Clurey, Marshall

Edit: Just saw the Port bloke beat me too it. Probably is Sam Gray out if Ryder is in fact good to go.

My predicted round 1 match ups. This assumes that everyone is avaliable apart from Lever, KK and Hannan. Dixon and Wines both unavailable for Port.

B: D.Howard, T.Clurey, D.Houston
F: S.Weideman, B.Preuss, C.Petracca
HB: R.Burton, T.Jonas, D.Byrne-Jones
HF: J.Melksham, T.McDonald, A.Vandenberg
C: S.Motlop, T Boak, T.Rockliff
C: A.Brayshaw, C.Oliver, B.Fritsch
HF: R Gray, J.Westhoff, S.Gray
HB: C.Salem, S.May, M.Hibberd
F: J.Watts, S.Lycett, T.Marshall
B: N.Jetta, O.McDonald, M.Hore
FOL: P.Ryder, S.Powell-Pepper, B.Ebert
FOL: M.Gawn, J.Viney, J.Harmes
I/C:, K.Farrell, R.Bonner, H.Hartlett, C.Rozee
I/C: N.Jones, A.Neal-Bullen, J.Hunt, J.Lewis

Should be a good game. I think we have a slight edge all over the field and should win especially when it comes to depth on the IC. Definitely not a lock though! If Jones or Viney dont get up for the game VDB and Trac play more midfield minutes and Spargo or Garlett comes into the lineup.

Hard enough to pick our 22 even with Lever and KK not making it for round 1. Throw those guys into the mix and it becomes even more of a headache.

Updated. Assuming Ryder plays.

B: X. Duursma, T.Clurey, D.Houston
F: J.Smith, S.Weideman, C.Petracca
HF: R Gray, J.Westhoff, C.Rozee
HB: C.Salem, S.Frost, M.Hibberd
I/C:, , R.Bonner, W. Drew, Z. Butters, K.Amon

Last edited:
Updated. Assuming Ryder plays.

F: J.Hunt, S.Weideman, C.Petracca
Hunt in twice - assuming you mean Smith/Spargo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hai guysth, (and PG)...

Don't know about you but this has been the quickest off-season I can remember in quite some time ( I guess that's how it feels when your team actually makes the finals)

I'll be heading to the G this week with my boy to see big Max's 100th, really looking forward to it, although right at this moment I'm thinking Port will actually win, wouldn't be surprised if we started a bit slow this year. A lot of the boys looked very rusty vs Brisbane. Again, I guess that's just how it is when you have less off-season to prepare than usual.

Speaking of Max, will be interesting to see how he plays vs Lycett and Ryder, but Lycett in particular after he's was given an absolute bath by him in the prelim against west coast. Not often Max gets beaten let alone taken to cleaners, I'm expecting the big fella to have a big game.

Looking forward to seeing May live although I suspect he will be one of our players struggling for touch early in the year coming off a limited preseason.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, but Port by 3 goals for me after jumping us early and maintaining a buffer throughout with sloppy play by us making a comeback attempt impossible.

As always MFC, feel free to prove me wrong and change my mind:

images

Miss the news about May mate?

Yeah, what happened 😥

Got punished for being big and running into an opponent who wasn't looking where they were going. Opposition player didn't have a concussion or anything yet May still got a week. BS.

Updated again with news VDB is out injured and Smith hasn't made it up.

F: C. Spargo, S.Weideman, C.Petracca
HF: J.Melksham, T.McDonald, J. Hunt
I/C: N.Jones, A.Neal-Bullen, J.Lewis, Stretch

Have included Stretch in the last bench spot because I think that is what we will do. Would rather blood Corey Wagner though and I recon if Harmes doesn't get through his test we may see him too.

Injuries challenging our depth a bit up forward with Hannan, Garlett, VDB, J Smith, T Smith, JKH all preferable to Stretch IMO. Maybe I am harsh on him.

For mine:

B: Marty Hore, Sam Frost, Neville Jetta
HB: Christian Salem, Oscar McDonald, Michael Hibberd
C: James Harmes, Jack Viney, Nathan Jones
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Sam Weideman, Jake Melksham
F: Corey Wagner, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
FOLL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw
I/C: Jordan Lewis, Bayley Fristch, Jayden Hunt, Charlie Spargo
Emerg: Billy Stretch, Josh Wagner, Harrison Petty, Declan Keilty

Real shame for Tim Smith and Jeffy that they're not fit to have a crack at the forward pocket spot I've given to C.Wagner.

Seeing how everyone else is doing there's and the teams come out tomorrow

FB: N Jetta, O McDonald, Micheal Hibberd
HB: C Salem, S Frost, J Hunt (I do think he'll go forward for AVB and J Smith)
C: A Brayshaw, J Harmes, A Neal-Bullen (Needs to wake up, but does tend to start the season rusty)
HF: C Petracca, S Weideman, J Melksham
FF: C Spargo, T Mcdonald, B Fristch
Ruc: M Gawn, J Viney, C Oliver
Int: N Jones, J Lewis, J Jordan (I liked what i saw of him, reckon he can debut), M Hannan

EMG: B Stretch, D Keilty (I'm going to be honest, he's taken a while but he'll debut this year, plays a lot like Pedersen), H Petty, M Hore

Seeing how everyone else is doing there's and the teams come out tomorrow

FB: N Jetta, O McDonald, Micheal Hibberd
HB: C Salem, S Frost, J Hunt (I do think he'll go forward for AVB and J Smith)
C: A Brayshaw, J Harmes, A Neal-Bullen (Needs to wake up, but does tend to start the season rusty)
HF: C Petracca, S Weideman, J Melksham
FF: C Spargo, T Mcdonald, B Fristch
Ruc: M Gawn, J Viney, C Oliver
Int: N Jones, J Lewis, J Jordan (I liked what i saw of him, reckon he can debut), M Hannan

EMG: B Stretch, D Keilty (I'm going to be honest, he's taken a while but he'll debut this year, plays a lot like Pedersen), H Petty, M Hore
Would be shocked if Jordan debuted ahead of Hore. Otherwise swap Fritta and ANB and this looks about right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back