Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the chance Fletcher Roberts gets a look next week? I know he's slow, but we're desperate for some tall timber in defence, along with someone who can mark opposition kicks. Deserves a last chance at least.

Naughton is our best KPP by a country mile. Have to persist him forward because or forward line would be worst in the league without him. Schache was a ghost and Dickson, Lloyd, Gowers ranges from poor to putrid.

Bont was off with the ball. Thought our defenders were fine.

We lost that game in the ruck and with our lack of skills from usually well skilled players.

That’s a bad loss.

Whilst I don't think it can be blamed for the performance, I think having the roof open hindered us in the first quarter. Notice the goal umpire at the bulldogs end was wearing sunglasses for the first quarter? I think that could be a factor in our performace in the first quarter. The effect lessened significantly as the day wore on, I don't understand why they had the roof open? I also didn't see who won the toss, can anyone enlighten me?

I'm not a fan of the versatility mantra but the coaching is definitely not poor. How many times have we started poorly only to wrestle back the game into a winnable position after a quarter break? I'd say it's the players poor skills that force us into playing this style of game.

Oh and close the bloody roof. Or put the stadium on a turntable & swivel it
I thought they resolved last year to close it for all these afternoon games because of the glare. The stadium was run by numpties already, and now we’ve got even bigger numpties at the AFL running it.

I think one of the major issues in our forward line is we have so many of the same type of player Wallis and Dunkley both similar types, gowers and Dickson play the same type of role and even Lloyd. We have no point of difference in there no speed that’s why we have been trying Richards but apart from his game against Port he seems lost down there.

That game was lost before the first bounce the attitude was putrid gave a 4 goal head start let them get their tails up and we plodded around all game chasing ass.

We tried the same crap over and over again, constantly bombing into the forward 50. Never tried sending Naughton back and going small and forcing the players to lower their eyes, we were just way too accepting of what was happening.

The need for a ruckman is massive, English will get there but it won’t be this year and Trengove won’t win us more hit outs so either way we are screwed in that department.

Richards does not do enough, didn’t do enough late last year and hasn’t done anything this year so far, Lloyd had a horrible game.

Not going to get any easier Friday night.

Agree with what you’ve said apart from you wanting Naughton moved back. He’s the best forward in the side. Having him down there means Schache and Gowers get worse defenders. He got beaten in the first quarter but after that he was dominant. And in the last was the only forward who looked capable of winning us the game. He even made the contest where Gowers had the shot to tie it up. The best young KPF we’ve had since Grant.

I think one of the major issues in our forward line is we have so many of the same type of player Wallis and Dunkley both similar types, gowers and Dickson play the same type of role and even Lloyd. We have no point of difference in there no speed that’s why we have been trying Richards but apart from his game against Port he seems lost down there.

Apart from Naughton.

Maybe the JJ forward experiment is tried again when he returns.

Whilst I don't think it can be blamed for the performance, I think having the roof open hindered us in the first quarter. Notice the goal umpire at the bulldogs end was wearing sunglasses for the first quarter? I think that could be a factor in our performace in the first quarter. The effect lessened significantly as the day wore on, I don't understand why they had the roof open? I also didn't see who won the toss, can anyone enlighten me?
Gold Coast won the toss

Agree 100%. Praying Cavarra can be that pressure forward for us. But why can Richmond find all these dangerous smalls like Rioli, Costagna, Bolton, Butler and now Sydney Stack. And we have a forward line with zero pace. Teams get it out so easy. It’s so frustrating to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache had a good first quarter.
He was on hombsch who is a good player. Actually we should have made a play for him last year.

Schache is fine and is tracking nicely.

I think a lot of posters here really need some perspective.

Yes, the performance was frustrating. It hurts to see the team play poorly. However, consider the following:

A.) Despite playing a pretty fumbly and 'almost' brand of football, as well seeming flat-footed, the Dogs almost pinched it. That is the mark of a good football side - The ability to grind it out on a dark day and be in position to win the game. While it didn't happen today, it did last week, and consistently over the last few years. If the Dogs are trailing Collingwood in the 4th next week but within striking distance, momentum will swing our way.

B.) While the I50 count relative to points scored is frustrating, and while the inaccuracy in front of goal is a worrying and ongoing trend, consider that Naughton and Schache are still developing, and the supporting cast is hardly of a gold standard. Gowers should be doing more, but to declare Lloyd and Dickson exiled to the VFL when both have been instrumental in the opening two wins is just reactionary and short-sighted. Also consider that the opposition isn't inert - Sometimes, you just get beaten. That's football. I think the Dogs forwards lack a killer instinct at times, and that's more of the problem.

C) Despite English getting beaten in the ruck, the midfield is still relatively dominant at stoppages and in open play. The 6-6-6 rule will be unchanged all year, and favours the Dogs. I'd like to see Trengove for Collingwood if fit, but otherwise I think the onball brigade can halve the contest.

D) Ultimately, kicking 9.14 doesn't often get a win. That is unquestionably the biggest factor in the loss, and not something you fix by writing off 10 players and the season.

At this point, the Dogs seem equally as likely to turn around and put Collingwood down as they do to get pantsed. It's shaping up to be a rollercoaster of a year, and I'd much rather that than be the cellar dwelling easybeats many had us slated as being.

I think Trengove is an absolute spud, and the worst long term deal since Rawlings, however, he simply must replace English next week. MUST. Richards, we can’t carry you every week son, find your form in the VFL

The gap in talent between the two teams on the park today was nearly as big as the gap in smarts and execution.

Our defensive problems start at half forward, on both sides of the ball. We really lacked intuitive, opportunity-taking crumbers, costing us possession and scoreboard pressure, and our forwards were caught out of defensive position repeatedly, allowing, at worst, quick costly transition, and otherwise pressure-relieving clearances to HB & wing. Throw in the usual raft of horrible kicking blunders and bad options at half forward and our forward entries undermined the whole structure all day.

Naughton was the only forward that put his opponent under pressure today. The other GCS defenders had a very easy time of it. If Naughton were played in defence today we might have kicked 4 goals for the game.

The team can’t afford to be carrying both Young and Wood. Neither gives us enough either side of the ball. One of them needs to come out for either Williams or Trengove depending on the structure for Collingwood.

Richards is being played in such a nothing role that doesn’t utilise any of his strengths. It’s very frustrating. It’s not the lad’s fault, but if JJ is good to go, then JJ comes in for Richards.

It’s time to drop English and gowers, both offers us nothing an d we might as well have had Caleb in the richest
Replace with who?
Gowers kicked three goals last week.

Trengove is injured and we won the clearances.
Sweet is a mile off.

We played terribly yet still got within 5 points. Did Bont hit a target all day? Hunter?

The loss was due to execution not because we didn't play an unready rookie ruck or drop a guy after kicking three goals.

I think a lot of posters here really need some perspective.

Yes, the performance was frustrating. It hurts to see the team play poorly. However, consider the following:

A.) Despite playing a pretty fumbly and 'almost' brand of football, as well seeming flat-footed, the Dogs almost pinched it. That is the mark of a good football side - The ability to grind it out on a dark day and be in position to win the game. While it didn't happen today, it did last week, and consistently over the last few years. If the Dogs are trailing Collingwood in the 4th next week but within striking distance, momentum will swing our way.

B.) While the I50 count relative to points scored is frustrating, and while the inaccuracy in front of goal is a worrying and ongoing trend, consider that Naughton and Schache are still developing, and the supporting cast is hardly of a gold standard. Gowers should be doing more, but to declare Lloyd and Dickson exiled to the VFL when both have been instrumental in the opening two wins is just reactionary and short-sighted. Also consider that the opposition isn't inert - Sometimes, you just get beaten. That's football. I think the Dogs forwards lack a killer instinct at times, and that's more of the problem.

C) Despite English getting beaten in the ruck, the midfield is still relatively dominant at stoppages and in open play. The 6-6-6 rule will be unchanged all year, and favours the Dogs. I'd like to see Trengove for Collingwood if fit, but otherwise I think the onball brigade can halve the contest.

D) Ultimately, kicking 9.14 doesn't often get a win. That is unquestionably the biggest factor in the loss, and not something you fix by writing off 10 players and the season.

At this point, the Dogs seem equally as likely to turn around and put Collingwood down as they do to get pantsed. It's shaping up to be a rollercoaster of a year, and I'd much rather that than be the cellar dwelling easybeats many had us slated as being.
Rubbish, Suns missed as many sitters as us. Dunkley set the scene early

Trengove is injured and we won the clearances.
Sweet is a mile off.
Trengove didn't play because he has gastro. His ankle was listed as a test for this week, non-issue.
Sweet is a mile off? So is English. One has had opportunities, the other remains untried.

Agree with what you’ve said apart from you wanting Naughton moved back. He’s the best forward in the side. Having him down there means Schache and Gowers get worse defenders. He got beaten in the first quarter but after that he was dominant. And in the last was the only forward who looked capable of winning us the game. He even made the contest where Gowers had the shot to tie it up. The best young KPF we’ve had since Grant.

I just thought we needed to try something and Schache can’t go back, I think he should be persisted with forward but sometimes in games you need to change things up when things aren’t going your way

Trengove didn't play because he has gastro. His ankle was listed as a test for this week, non-issue.
Sweet is a mile off? So is English.
English is well ahead of Sweet. Miles ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back