FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

He's spent years wandering around the north, gathering his Army of the Dead. Maybe he's limited in the distance at which he can raise them?

Also, leaving them until now makes more tactical/strategic sense. By doing it this way he already has forces inside the castle at the start of the battle. If he'd done it earlier, the living would have burned the bodies and he would have lost this advantage.

Good points. Best to leave pockets of his army in places knowing he can use them when needed. It's like when squirrels ration their nuts and hide them here and there

I will be completely shocked if the Crypt is not full of undead, slaughtering the living who are sheltering there.

The writers have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, since they no longer have GRR Martin's material to draw from. They couldn't have been less subtle about it, given the number of times we were told that the women & children were going to be sheltering in the crypt, and that the crypt was safe. Then there's the spoilers in the trailers, with Arya running through the crypt and Jon saying that the dead were "already here".

The chances of the crypt becoming a slaughterhouse are 100%.

How are the dead going to be turned into wights? It makes zero sense unless Winterfell gets over run in which case everyone will already be dead. I can't imagine a scene as lame as the Night King sitting on his dragon and raising his hands like he did in the hardhome episode and all of a sudden a bunch of wights rise.

As for next weeks trailer I don't think Ayra is in the crypt and if she is I find it more believable that she would be using the hidden passages to get to Bran or someone. Her character isn't one to be scared and although it makes it out that she is running away from something I think she will actually be running towards the danger, which would be more fitting towards her character. Also its Danny who says 'the dead are already here', Jon says "the Night King is coming" which is simply stating the obvious. We know the dead are here and are about to attack Winterfell, we don't yet know how the Knight King arrives but I don't think there will be some big twist.

Incredibly complex show, would be so difficult writing it
Not for an accomplished writer with suitable time to prepare I daresay.

The showrunners D&D have had years to prepare for this season. They knew precisely how much GRRM material they had, and when it would run out. GOT has for many seasons been a huge budget HBO production - they could have easily afforded to hire quality writers to complete scripts for the final two seasons but instead I assume D&D refused to cede creative control so instead they've been written by this pair of C-grade Hollywood hacks.

The result? Characters who once had great depth who now feel wafer thin, and are given nothing to do except act as background scenery or spit out the occasional tepid line to remind us they exist. Scenes which should be brimming with heartfelt emotion where character interactions feel stilted and forced, plot threads which end in the most unsatisfyingly brief manner possible. Frankly this series deserved far better. Of course the masses will lap it up regardless, something D&D absolutely knew and banked on before serving up this tripe they knew we'd collectively swallow.

The good news is next episode we have a battle- the one thing this pair of writing mediocrities does well, because battles aren't reliant on good writing at all.

I don't know how Zombies work, but my thoughts are reincarnation should only be able to happen when the corpse is a little more fresh.

Centuries old dragons and Starks? I reckon bones without a single bit of flesh or organs still attached are dead... for good.

How are the dead going to be turned into wights? It makes zero sense unless Winterfell gets over run in which case everyone will already be dead. I can't imagine a scene as lame as the Night King sitting on his dragon and raising his hands like he did in the hardhome episode and all of a sudden a bunch of wights rise.
He raises them the same way he's raised all of the other wights in his gigantic Army of the Dead. What could possibly make you think that he can't raise them, just because they're in the crypt under the castle?

Raising the hands was probably just for show, designed to scare the bejesus out of Jon and the NW. I doubt he needs to do that in order to raise them.

They could't have telegraphed it any harder if they tried.

Kings Landing is going to be even more fun. Remember what's in the crypts under the castle? Bones of dragons, long deceased...

If I knew how to make gifs I'd post the dragon skull closing its head.

I don't know how Zombies work, but my thoughts are reincarnation should only be able to happen when the corpse is a little more fresh.

Centuries old dragons and Starks? I reckon bones without a single bit of flesh or organs still attached are dead... for good.
When Bran got to that old tree didn’t a whole bunch of skeletons attacked him?

Was that the NK or was that the magic surrounding the area?

The showrunners D&D have had years to prepare for this season. They knew precisely how much GRRM material they had, and when it would run out. GOT has for many seasons been a huge budget HBO production - they could have easily afforded to hire quality writers to complete scripts for the final two seasons but instead I assume D&D refused to cede creative control so instead they've been written by this pair of C-grade Hollywood hacks.

The result? Characters who once had great depth who now feel wafer thin, and are given nothing to do except act as background scenery or spit out the occasional tepid line to remind us they exist. Scenes which should be brimming with heartfelt emotion where character interactions feel stilted and forced, plot threads which end in the most unsatisfyingly brief manner possible. Frankly this series deserved far better. Of course the masses will lap it up regardless, something D&D absolutely knew and banked on before serving up this tripe they knew we'd collectively swallow.

The good news is next episode we have a battle- the one thing this pair of writing mediocrities does well, because battles aren't reliant on good writing at all.

UnlawfulInsecureHamster-small.gif

Last edited:

You obviously haven't been paying attention.
main-qimg-496aa28a3940ec7caa7da97964c4a47a.webp

482083056_1280x720.jpg

Dripping with book reader tears.

I don't agree at all. I thought that episode 2 was beautifully written and scripted.

Btw, the episode was scripted by Bryan Cogman, not either of the two Davids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He raises them the same way he's raised all of the other wights in his gigantic Army of the Dead. What could possibly make you think that he can't raise them, just because they're in the crypt under the castle?

Raising the hands was probably just for show, designed to scare the bejesus out of Jon and the NW. I doubt he needs to do that in order to raise them.

We've only seen him raise them having recently been killed. We haven't seen him stand over a tomb and raise them into wights. The idea he could be kilometres away from them and raise them seems incredibly far fetched given everything we have seen the Knight King do so far. Now if Winterfell got run over and a few escaped and the final scene of the episode was the Knight King standing in front of Ned's tomb and raising him I could buy that but even then what would be the point. He could only be a wight which means being a skeleton and he died without a head in any case.

What claims does the baby of Ayra and Gendy have if indeed she is up the duff. It's a Baratheon /Stark baby. You never know ,there may be an episode where a few years pass.

I don't agree at all. I thought that episode 2 was beautifully written and scripted.

Btw, the episode was scripted by Bryan Cogman, not either of the two Davids.
Each to their own, glad you're enjoying the show.

You obviously haven't been paying attention.
main-qimg-496aa28a3940ec7caa7da97964c4a47a.webp

482083056_1280x720.jpg

But Ned, for example, is just a pile of bones in a chest. Not even a skeleton.

It just feels like there should be some limit to what he can reanimate, otherwise literally every person who's ever lived and died would now be in his army.

Post of the thread

We've only seen him raise them having recently been killed. We haven't seen him stand over a tomb and raise them into wights. The idea he could be kilometres away from them and raise them seems incredibly far fetched given everything we have seen the Knight King do so far. Now if Winterfell got run over and a few escaped and the final scene of the episode was the Knight King standing in front of Ned's tomb and raising him I could buy that but even then what would be the point. He could only be a wight which means being a skeleton and he died without a head in any case.
He's got an army full of skeltons. You figure it out...

In our world, a skeleton couldn't stand up, let alone hold a sword and shield, let alone swing them in a manic attack. All of these are possible when animated by the NK, using what we'd probably call "magic".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back