Preview Round 6, 2019: St.Kilda v Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 81 81.8%
  • Crows

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The emergencies tell us that Hind is real close to playing and testament to recruiting him.

Selectors must be considering some alternative setups if Bruce out. Longer, Joyce and Marsh all offer something different. Personally I'd lean towards Joyce fwd which provides flexibility with Battle or a third tall back if needed.

Bruce is just about our most important player structurally IMO.

I think if he’s out we need to replace him by way of least disrupting the team.

Battle to stay back, Marshall to stay ruck (his clearance work is top notch) & replace Bruce with another tall. Joyce or possibly Marsh forward?

I really just hope we don’t mess with the magnets too much.

Battle to stay back, Marshall to stay ruck (his clearance work is top notch) & replace Bruce with another tall. Joyce or possibly Marsh forward?

Agree. I reckon they'll go least disruption to winning setup. DMAC for Gears.
Joyce or Marsh is a toss up. Joyce really athletic but played in defense. Marsh has that killer instinct which could really go well with long and panther.

Agree. I reckon they'll go least disruption to winning setup. DMAC for Gears.
Joyce or Marsh is a toss up. Joyce really athletic but played in defense. Marsh has that killer instinct which could really go well with long and panther.

Marsh is big and fast, he would be a nice one two punch defending the ball coming out, in that way he would be like Bruce. Joyce possibly more likely to score.

You're right about bruce being vital to our structure, but i can't agree with you about replacing him with joyce or marsh.

Bruce is vital, not just for his height- but he has a huge tank and runs up and down all day.
In doing so he makes lots of contests in the air and usually either clunks a mark or at worst- creates a 50/50 ground ball.

The only blokes on our list with any chance of replicating that are marshall and battle.

Marsh is by all reports not up to it tank-wise, and i don't think joyce has any (?) experience fwd.

I agree we should be looking for minium disruption options- unfortunately bruce is a rare beast- and we don't have another like him sitting on the shelf just waiting in the wings.

Personally, I'm fine with either marshall fwd, longer in or battle fwd, joyce in.

I think marshall fwd is the less disruptive option, but wouldn't be upset either way because unlike some- i think billy longer would come in and play quite well.

He's played some good football (pre injury) in the past- and he's a prime candidate to 'do a lonie' and really elevate to new heights- because, like lonie he's literally playing with his career at stake.

I'm tipping if longer gets a crack he'll go really well

You're right about bruce being vital to our structure, but i can't agree with you about replacing him with joyce or marsh.

Bruce is vital, not just for his height- but he has a huge tank and runs up and down all day.
In doing so he makes lots of contests in the air and usually either clunks a mark or at worst- creates a 50/50 ground ball.

The only blokes on our list with any chance of replicating that are marshall and battle.

Marsh is by all reports not up to it tank-wise, and i don't think joyce has any (?) experience fwd.

I agree we should be looking for minium disruption options- unfortunately bruce is a rare beast- and we don't have another like him sitting on the shelf just waiting in the wings.

Personally, I'm fine with either marshall fwd, longer in or battle fwd, joyce in.

I think marshall fwd is the less disruptive option, but wouldn't be upset either way because unlike some- i think billy longer would come in and play quite well.

He's played some good football (pre injury) in the past- and he's a prime candidate to 'do a lonie' and really elevate to new heights- because, like lonie he's literally playing with his career at stake.

I'm tipping if longer gets a crack he'll go really well

Longer in & Marshall to the forward line if Bruce is out is the most likely outcome IMO. But I still hold some reservations. I do prefer that to moving Battle forward because our backline has been our main strength.

As someone that watched us train today mentioned, Blake was training as a forward so perhaps he plays second banana to Membrey & we go in really short with Hind coming in as a high half back / winger.

I really hope we don’t move Marshall out of the ruck. It’s been an age since we’ve had a ruckman show what he has over the last month. He’s our man in there for the next 7-8 years hopefully and the best thing for him is to get continuity in there. I also think it’s better for the team that he plays ruck this week. I think he could have a massive influence/win over O’Brien. Whilst Battle has been good down back, I don’t think it impacts us structurally too much to bring in Joyce and play Battle forward.

Longer in & Marshall to the ruck if Bruce is out is the most likely outcome IMO. But I still hold some reservations. I do prefer that to moving Battle forward because our backline has been our main strength.

As someone that watched us train today mentioned, Blake was training as a forward so perhaps he plays second banana to Membrey & we go in really short with Hind coming in as a high half back / winger.

Can't see that happening with blakers required in the ruck still to relieve roma.

Even with roma's fantastic tank- he still (understandably) needs 5 or so minutes every qtr out of the ruck.

They clearly rightly identified our structure was falling apart putting bruce in the ruck for those ~5mins... which is why blakers is now the backup... and it's working well because bruce keeps our structure up fwd.

Swapping bruce for blakers up fwd, then continuing to use blake as backup ruck just re-creates that original problem we were having throwing bruce in the ruck.

Joyce, Marsh Battle all 193/4 cm - none will replace Bruce as the main tall in our current forward line.

If Bruce is not fit then its Longer to ruck and Marshall forward.

I really hope we don’t move Marshall out of the ruck. It’s been an age since we’ve had a ruckman show what he has over the last month. He’s our man in there for the next 7-8 years hopefully and the best thing for him is to get continuity in there. I also think it’s better for the team that he plays ruck this week. I think he could have a massive influence/win over O’Brien. Whilst Battle has been good down back, I don’t think it impacts us structurally too much to bring in Joyce and play Battle forward.
Spot on.

Was watching Grundy today thinking how great it will be once Roma developed having a ruck man like him roaming around.

Those ruckmen are perfect for the modern game. We’ve found one and we have looked such a good team in the weeks since.

I’d be doing pretty much anything possible to avoid moving him from the ruck.

Marsh would be my preference but given he isn’t a big key forward I wouldn’t be surprised if we backed Billy in against O’Brien and Roma played deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which goal was this? Would like to have a look.

About 4:40 left in the first quarter, Billings spills a mark at CHB, free paid against for below the legs to Cerra, kick to Walters from free, goal.

AFL comes out and state free was not there and applied incorrectly, Freo generated a goal direct from this free being paid on their CHF.

Ergo, admin error, as umps are part of the fluff that is administration of the game not associated with club or player.

Riewoldt again tonight mentioned how Hunter Clark should be playing, I agree with him in theory but it’s hard to drop anyone out of the midfield right now. I’ve been banging on the play Clark/Coffield drum but I also get we can’t gift games right now.

I would love to know why he’s so strong on this though.

Last edited:
Clark and Coffield need to hit the weights for another pre-season or two.

Just look at Billings, got dropped last year for being too weak, hit the weights again.

Now he's on track for his best season ever.

Clark and Coffield are worlds apart right now; one is tearing it up in the VFL most games and has had a call up to the seniors while the other is struggling for consistency in the VFL. Can’t really lump them together just because they went in the same draft.

Sucks for Clark that Billings has done so well at his new role and Newnes is back to his old self or he might be getting some game time on a wing and in the midfield

Billings had about 4 or 5 (maybe more) really poor games in a row. He then played a half decent game and got dropped the following week. Baffling decision by Richo.

He deserved to be dropped last year, he looked like he didn't give a s**t, he's engaged again now and looks like he wants to play.

Not sure what flicked the switch for him but it's great to see him enjoying his football again, he's a real barometer for our side. if he's up we're up.

Billings had about 4 or 5 (maybe more) really poor games in a row. He then played a half decent game and got dropped the following week. Baffling decision by Richo.
Great decision. I watch him get 55 possessions with at least 3 goal assists and he hasn't looked back.
Inspired decision and showed JB's character to go back, get the pill, and get the message.
Played out the year had a mammoth preseason and killing it this year.

Richo deserves credit.

Great decision. I watch him get 55 possessions with at least 3 goal assists and he hasn't looked back.
Inspired decision and showed JB's character to go back, get the pill, and get the message.
Played out the year had a mammoth preseason and killing it this year.

Richo deserves credit.
It was great for his confidence, which has always been one of his biggest issues.
To go back and just dominate a game without any worry about the opposition did wonders.
A good reminder about how good a player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back