Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time I went up I chickened out. I’ve always been scared of heights but as a younger kid was able to jump from that top tower. Jumped off the lighthouse on Port Victoria jetty when I was about 8. Wouldn’t even climb up the ladder now. Stomach sinks just thinking about it.
Have you seen the Mr Bean episode where he goes off the dive tower?

Last time I went up I chickened out. I’ve always been scared of heights but as a younger kid was able to jump from that top tower. Jumped off the lighthouse on Port Victoria jetty when I was about 8. Wouldn’t even climb up the ladder now. Stomach sinks just thinking about it.
I was about 5 the first time I jumped off of the top. We used to go early in the morning when my sister was competitively training.

Left my speedos behind when I hit the water, much to everyone’s amusement

its a shame
so many memories there for the crows players, club, fans and afl as a whole
I wonder how Suns fans feel.
Such a young club and the site of their first ever win has already been demolished

Thanks guys, wasn’t aware about all the construction etc. I’ll keep an eye on him once it all starts up as you suggest. Cheers
This is the current Goog satellite image of Football Park.

football-park-google-20200202-jpg.814973

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no Port hater, but fu** me that was funny.
Don't know if that game or their win over Richmond in Cairns (2 goals in the last 15 seconds, including the Rugby player (Folau???) kicking the winning goal) was funnier.

The peak advisory body for the Adelaide parklands says the Crows’ proposal for a $65 million HQ at the Aquatic Centre site could be at odds with what the city’s green belt should be used for.
Following two hours of debate, the Adelaide Park Land Authority agreed at its last meeting that the plan was “potentially inconsistent” with the Adelaide Park Lands Actand the Adelaide Park Lands Management Strategy
Members questioned whether there would be any “public benefit” in having a commercial organisation build on the land, but remained open to further information about how the Crows would operate.

During a deputation, Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association president Shane Sody said a commercial business like the Crows did not benefit the parklands, even if the footprint was reduced.
Friends and Residents of North Adelaide convener Valdis Dunis feared the proposal would set a precedent for other developments in the parklands.
“If we say yes to the Crows, can we fairly say no to Port Adelaide?” Mr Dunis said.
“It will be very hard to say no.”

The benefit for the parklands is they get a brand new aquatic centre and two AFL quality ovals to use.

The benefit for the parklands is they get a brand new aquatic centre and two AFL quality ovals to use.

It's an astonishing amount of NIMBYism, even for North Adelaide.

Very amusing to read in today's Advertiser, that when Ian McLachlan put the thing together with the AFL and the government etc. his first condition was that the ACC not be involved at all.

Smart move indeed.

What-have-the-Romans-ever-done-for-us (640x370).jpg

Yeah, but apart from that - what have the Crows done for us?

- And who'd like to make a list of all the other "commercial organisations" that have facilities on the parklands?

View attachment 818866

Yeah, but apart from that - what have the Crows done for us?

- And who'd like to make a list of all the other "commercial organisations" that have facilities on the parklands?

From a previous post:

So, the parklands are for everyone, and we shouldn't build/do anything on them

except for:
the current Aquatics Centre
the North Adelaide Golf Course
the Adelaide Pavillion in Veale Gardens
the Adelaide Hockey Club
the Adelaide City Football Club
the South Australian Croquet Association
the Kenilworth Cricket Club
TreeClimb
the Victoria Park Racecourse
the Clipsal 500*
Prince Alfred College
the Adelaide Bowling Club
the National Wine Centre
the Bicentennial Conservatory
the Adelaide University Athletics Club
the Adelaide Archery Club
those secret tennis courts across from Ann Moran's place
the West Adelaide Hellas Soccer Club
Adelaide High School
the Boneshaker Cafe (for the Comets)
the Netball courts
the Adelaide Lutheran Sports Club

Gee, i'm not sure we should do anything in the parklands, i don't want to create a precedent... :rolleyes:

and I know I missed some

From a previous post:
and I know I missed some
Thing is though... most of that list seem to be amateur clubs that the public can join and thus make use of the facilities on the parklands, or businesses set up for members of the public to make use of (golf, car race, restaurant, ...).

Aside from the side benefits to the community like running the aquatic centre, a core/key part of us wanting a base there is purely for the club's commercial purposes (admin, training) even if it's a place where we fans as part of the public might be able to visit the club facilities making us of the parklands.

I wonder what our next alternative is...

Thing is though... most of that list seem to be amateur clubs that the public can join and thus make use of the facilities on the parklands, or businesses set up for members of the public to make use of (golf, car race, restaurant, ...).

Aside from the side benefits to the community like running the aquatic centre, a core/key part of us wanting a base there is purely for the club's commercial purposes (admin, training) even if it's a place where we fans as part of the public might be able to visit the club facilities making us of the parklands.

I wonder what our next alternative is...
I've always thought that Thebarton Oval would be a perfect fit for us. It should also be our home ground for AFLW games and our reserves team instead of playing every game away.

Problem, solution

Back