Memberships 2021 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 55,832)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney also has the bulk of a city of 5.2 million people as "supporters" (how many of them would be members is questionable) opposed Richmond who have to split 4.9 million people amongst 7 other clubs (arguably 8)
Are you saying that data is correct?

Sydney has to contend with another team in the same state, not to mention NSW is not a football state.

Are you saying that data is correct?

Sydney has to contend with another team in the same state, not to mention NSW is not a football state.

Im saying if the survey was asking people in Sydney which AFL team they support it wouldnt suprise me that as many of them would say Sydney as Melburnians would say Richmond given they have a larger population and far less competition.

GWS isnt competition for them, they have membership and supporter base you can count on one hand.

I think the data of NSW having as many Sydney Swans supporters (not members) as Vic has Richmond supporters is not at all suprising.

Im saying if the survey was asking people in Sydney which AFL team they support it wouldnt suprise me that as many of them would say Sydney as Melburnians would say Richmond given they have a larger population and far less competition.

GWS isnt competition for them, they have membership and supporter base you can count on one hand.

I think the data of NSW having as many Sydney Swans supporters (not members) as Vic has Richmond supporters is not at all suprising.
Yep think the data is clearly wrong / not a true representation of the situation. Especially considering only 14k were surveyed when total club membership is near on a million lol

Yep think the data is clearly wrong / not a true representation of the situation. Especially considering only 14k were surveyed when total club membership is near on a million lol

Were sort of saying the same thing. I think the data is probably right (if you told me there were 500k Sydney Swans supporters in Sydney id say thats right or even low, but thats everyone from your number 1 ticketholder, die hard goes every week, down to some lady on the street near Moore Park who says "yeh i guess i support Sydney, i like Jessinta Campbell and shes married to someone there isnt she").

The correlation between that figure and turning it into memberships... much much less reliable. Having lived in Sydney they dont give a rats ass about sport in general. The Rugby League World cup was on when i was there, most games barely got attendence, i went to Aus v Lebanon, 4k came along, i went to the NRL grand final on a whim because they couldnt give tickets away.

1 million Sydney Supporters means very little in terms of membership.

Were sort of saying the same thing. I think the data is probably right (if you told me there were 500k Sydney Swans supporters in Sydney id say thats right or even low, but thats everyone from your number 1 ticketholder, die hard goes every week, down to some lady on the street near Moore Park who says "yeh i guess i support Sydney, i like Jessinta Campbell and shes married to someone there isnt she").

The correlation between that figure and turning it into memberships... much much less reliable. Having lived in Sydney they dont give a rats ass about sport in general. The Rugby League World cup was on when i was there, most games barely got attendence, i went to Aus v Lebanon, 4k came along, i went to the NRL grand final on a whim because they couldnt give tickets away.

1 million Sydney Supporters means very little in terms of membership.
It’s a good point you make. This discussion about who has more ‘fans’ isn’t all that important really. All that really matters is how many potential members are there.

It’s a good point you make. This discussion about who has more ‘fans’ isn’t all that important really. All that really matters is how many potential members are there.

Yeh, this is actually the first year ive been a member, poor form i know and i could make a million excuses but fact is i was always a potential member, im tipping that the conversion rate of "supporters" into members for Sydney would be tiny.

I think with the Saints we do have ALOT of potential members, success, marketable players and a whole bunch of other stuff goes into converting them.

What i hope, the clubs knows the number we need to start paying off the debt and become self sustainable, and that is the first target (Specific, Measurable, Achieveable, Realistic, Timely) then as an aspiration we want the 75k-100k.

I think in terms of goals getting us to a point that we are self sustainable and paying off debt should be the goal.

75k members on being in the Richmond convo is a piper dream at this point, walk before you run.

Which ironically is what a lot of Richmond people said when Gale plotted something similar.

Which ironically is what a lot of Richmond people said when Gale plotted something similar.

I remember spitting my coffee out when Gale said 100k and 3 flags.

I have no issue if thats on a whiteboard somewhere provided its got steps to achieve it (which from everything ive seen, Richmond had)

The results fluctuate based on results and ladder position. Something these reports explicitly highlight.

In 2011 our alleged supporter base topped 444,000, more than Richmond. In 2012 it dropped, corresponding to our exit out of finals and a drop down the ladder. View attachment 1068999

I actually think we compare to a side like Geelong. We actually have a pretty solid geographic area with a huge saturation. If you get around Bayside there are a heap of Saints stickers on cars and with my kids sports teams there have always been a bigger number of Saints fans than other club supporters. At my kids schools there was a very large number of Saints fans too. A lot of Saints fans are latent too. I know a heap that dropped off after the Lyon era ended and haven't reengaged yet. Even my wife is a fair weather fan who will be back into it once it picks up on field.

I actually think we compare to a side like Geelong. We actually have a pretty solid geographic area with a huge saturation. If you get around Bayside there are a heap of Saints stickers on cars and with my kids sports teams there have always been a bigger number of Saints fans than other club supporters. At my kids schools there was a very large number of Saints fans too. A lot of Saints fans are latent too. I know a heap that dropped off after the Lyon era ended and haven't reengaged yet. Even my wife is a fair weather fan who will be back into it once it picks up on field.

Geelong members so far for 2021 45,770 st Kilda 44,500 we definitely around the Mark with Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An article posted in here quotes our president saying the aim right now is to get us to between 60-70k members over the next few years.

If thats the current short-medium term goal, how is 75k completely unachievable if we were to win a premiership?
Firstly, I’m not making any comments about membership.
Support and membership are two different creatures.
For example: the club claims 1 in 5 supporters in our core catchment.
We are currently targeting to convert 1 in 6 of those into members (~ 50k).
If we convert 1 in 5 into members that automatically gives us 60k members.
Without any change to our supporter base.
Secondly, our president is also quoted as saying that we are a bottom four club with the potential to be a mid tier club.
That‘s the statement that I agree with.

A survey of 14,000 people is hardly evidence and when a club like Sydney allegedly has 300,000 more supporters than a club that just won 3 of the last 4 flags I think we should question the credibility of it. And you clearly do doubt what I say, it was in a 2015 report by the AFL on membership and support, which had us level with Richmond. I didn't say anything outlandish in my comment regarding this, so if you choose to not believe it that's fine.

As for the club saying our support was 280,000. It still doesn't make any difference to us being a huge club when you consider Richmond were level with us in supporter base and now have 100,000 members.

If there's any myth it's the myth that we don't have the support to become a big club (75k members).

I also don't understand the point of coming in here to what looks like an attempt to hose down any kind of momentum we have with information that can easily be disputed. You don't think we can be a big club. What do you classify as big? 75k? A flag will get us there easily.
No need to take offence George.
The equivalent thread in 2019 had the same discussion.
Then it was plugger being the voice of unreason.
I was arguing exactly the same as you are now.
And went away to research and prove that plugger was incorrect.
The problem is he wasn’t, and when presented with facts what do you do?
Change your mind or continue with your own personal cognitive dissonance.
I chose the former.
As to the information that you have seen, I’m not doubting what you are saying but I’ve given you three independent and public sources that say otherwise.
Whether you choose to believe those sources, or ignore me is really your choice.
You also seem to be conflating membership with support.
As I pointed out in my response to BT, they are different creatures.

As for becoming a power club, it will take more than a flag.
Let’s take the data point of 1961, and compare our performance with that of both Hawthorn and Richmond. They both have a much better history being each historically dominant for two periods over that sixty years.
Yet their supporter base is not that significantly better (like double or something as is the case with Collingwood).
That tells me that increasing the support base is inherently difficult.
Something we have laboured with our entire history.
We were behind the pack in 1873 and have never caught up.
(And if you’re interested I can give you the history behind that, that’s what happens when you research to prove a point but find yourself disproving your own argument).

Firstly, I’m not making any comments about membership.
Support and membership are two different creatures.
For example: the club claims 1 in 5 supporters in our core catchment.
We are currently targeting to convert 1 in 6 of those into members (~ 50k).
If we convert 1 in 5 into members that automatically gives us 60k members.
Without any change to our supporter base.
Secondly, our president is also quoted as saying that we are a bottom four club with the potential to be a mid tier club.
That‘s the statement that I agree with.
He is correct in saying we are currently bottom 4 in Victoria for memberships with WB, Melbourne and North.

But that statement is missing the context that those other 3 clubs are currently sitting around 32-35k members each while we are sitting over 44k which is just behind Geelong who would be called a 'middle tier' club. So right now, we aren't a 'potential' middle tier club. We are one.

I went into the club yesterday to renew the family memberships for this year, and was told a couple of interesting things. Firstly they are tracking and expect to get past 50k members by the end of this month. Secondly there is obviously a cap on social club and when I added it to ours memberships again (not sure when I let it lapse) they said there is less than 100 social club memberships left!!

No need to take offence George.
The equivalent thread in 2019 had the same discussion.
Then it was plugger being the voice of unreason.
I was arguing exactly the same as you are now.
And went away to research and prove that plugger was incorrect.
The problem is he wasn’t, and when presented with facts what do you do?
Change your mind or continue with your own personal cognitive dissonance.
I chose the former.
As to the information that you have seen, I’m not doubting what you are saying but I’ve given you three independent and public sources that say otherwise.
Whether you choose to believe those sources, or ignore me is really your choice.
You also seem to be conflating membership with support.
As I pointed out in my response to BT, they are different creatures.

As for becoming a power club, it will take more than a flag.
Let’s take the data point of 1961, and compare our performance with that of both Hawthorn and Richmond. They both have a much better history being each historically dominant for two periods over that sixty years.
Yet their supporter base is not that significantly better (like double or something as is the case with Collingwood).
That tells me that increasing the support base is inherently difficult.
Something we have laboured with our entire history.
We were behind the pack in 1873 and have never caught up.
(And if you’re interested I can give you the history behind that, that’s what happens when you research to prove a point but find yourself disproving your own argument).
No offence taken. Just disagree with your opinion.

What do you consider a big club?

If we have we are a big club

No we're not

Yes we are

🤪
We are a big club every second Tuesday but only if there's a full moon, otherwise we are a small club on days where Crux is visible in the night sky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back