Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say Ditto with Cameron.

Out of those three I would say Cox is the most competitive then Cameron and then Lobb.

Cameron is a much better football than Cox IMO. Great Mark, good kick and understands the game better, handy 2nd ruck. Don't get me wrong for a bloke he didn't play the game until he came here what cox has been able to do has been quite remarkable but I still maintain there are alot of young blokes who grew up playing the game who will never get the opportunity Cox has been given who are much better footballers.

What would he be worth in a trade? If Fremantle lose Lobb, we are going to need some sort of replacement. Is he best 22 at the pies next season?
I expect him to be best 22. I quite like him. No idea what his trade value will be. He's a lovely mark when he doesn't get early body contact. The knock is that a bit like most of the talls that we've recruited over the last decade, with a high centre of gravity, he's not strong enough to hold his ground in a push and shove (I think we need to get a basketball rebounding coach in to work on staying low)

Cameron is a much better football than Cox IMO. Great Mark, good kick and understands the game better, handy 2nd ruck. Don't get me wrong for a bloke he didn't play the game until he came here what cox has been able to do has been quite remarkable but I still maintain there are alot of young blokes who grew up playing the game who will never get the opportunity Cox has been given who are much better footballers.

I'm not sure about understanding the game better, but I've never seen Cameron play live. Cox gets to more contests when he plays.

Competitive as in putting in second and third efforts. I did not mean competitive as in ability.

Cox does a lot of second and third efforts and taps etc

For example Mumford is a super competitor.

I'm not sure about understanding the game better, but I've never seen Cameron play live. Cox gets to more contests when he plays.
Cameron seems to pop up for those important down the line marks more often. Clunks them whenever the play was stuck in our back half. Not necessarily footy IQ, but just something I noticed

Yet Cameron gets about 30% more of the footy. Cox probably has better aerobic capacity but thats about it. Cox has no idea when to time his jumps, runs under the footy all the time and needs it delivered perfectly. He kicks it bloody well from inside 35 metres but Cameron is a lovely kick from 50 and around the ground. Cameron judges the ball much better in the air and when he has it up the ground looks like he knows what he is doing. There is alot more to footy smarts than being able to get to contests.

Out of 76 games I reckon cox has about 2 or 3 really good games and another 10-15 decent games. While being no world beater himself Cameron has far fewer poor games.

Don't get me wrong I admire Cox for what he has been able to do but he just isn't a very good footballer.

Yet Cameron gets about 30% more of the footy. Cox probably has better aerobic capacity but thats about it. Cox has no idea when to time his jumps, runs under the footy all the time and needs it delivered perfectly. He kicks it bloody well from inside 35 metres but Cameron is a lovely kick from 50 and around the ground. Cameron judges the ball much better in the air and when he has it up the ground looks like he knows what he is doing. There is alot more to footy smarts than being able to get to contests.

Out of 76 games I reckon cox has about 2 or 3 really good games and another 10-15 decent games. While being no world beater himself Cameron has far fewer poor games.

Don't get me wrong I admire Cox for what he has been able to do but he just isn't a very good footballer.

Cameron has also had fewer match winning games. Zero in fact. Cox was able to do that on occasion, and on big occasions.. For Cameron to be a long term solution for us he needs to be able to go the next level from time to time and be our match winner when we need him to be one.

Cameron has also had fewer match winning games. Zero in fact. Cox was able to do that on occasion, and on big occasions.. For Cameron to be a long term solution for us he needs to be able to go the next level from time to time and be our match winner when we need him to be one.
Without Cameron and his 4 goals we don't beat the Dees this season.

Yep. I was using a very narrow definition of "understanding the game" and really just meant reading the play.

Lets me honest Timmy, Neither are match winners. Yes Cox had an incredible half against the tigers in that famous prelim. Everything went right for us. That was 3 years ago and he has played very little good footy since. I thought Cameron's season this year was quite a bit better than the best season Cox has had. And that was despite us having a putrid midfield where in most cases he had to creat his own opportunities by taking very strong contested marks in the forward line.

I am not saying Cameron has a big future because when comparing to Cox the bar is not very high. Just saying if we have to choose between the 2 its Cameron every single day....Except for perhaps that one famous Saturday night in September 2018.

The problem is, for all your post about how good Cameron is, he isn't a good footballer either... In fact he's very average, and barely kicks more than 1 goal a game... Cox averages more goals per game and is a better ruckmen...

Lets me honest Timmy, Neither are match winners. Yes Cox had an incredible half against the tigers in that famous prelim. Everything went right for us. That was 3 years ago and he has played very little good footy since. I thought Cameron's season this year was quite a bit better than the best season Cox has had. And that was despite us having a putrid midfield where in most cases he had to creat his own opportunities by taking very strong contested marks in the forward line.

I am not saying Cameron has a big future because when comparing to Cox the bar is not very high. Just saying if we have to choose between the 2 its Cameron every single day....Except for perhaps that one famous Saturday night in September 2018.

I agree. Caneron has passed Cox marginally but not sufficiently. I hope we retain Cox not only as more than adequate depth but to also be able to challenge to get his spot back

Longer term I doubt either are the answer.

The problem is, for all your post about how good Cameron is, he isn't a good footballer either... In fact he's very average, and barely kicks more than 1 goal a game... Cox averages more goals per game and is a better ruckmen...

Perhaps read the post before you comment.

This is my last sentence. Pretty sure this infers both are average footballers. I've actually suggested I am not sure if Cameron has much of a future. Both are ordinary footballers but IMO cox is very ordinary. My option on Cameron is based on what he has produced this year, he was serviceable and more consistent in any one season than Cox has been

"I am not saying Cameron has a big future because when comparing to Cox the bar is not very high. Just saying if we have to choose between the 2 its Cameron every single day....Except for perhaps that one famous Saturday night in September 2018"

As Timmy has said neither are long term options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played one proper season - when our forward entries were lowest in the league and generally very poor as well, and kicked Cox's career average of goals and exceeded his possession average. Meanwhile Cox's career average is actually falling in terms of both goals and possessions.

As Ant22 pointed out, the bar isn't high, but Cameron is comfortably ahead at the moment, with scope for improvement.

It was Cameron's first season - I think he's got scope to be a solid role player for a fair while.
Cameron has definitely gone past Cox now, Cox's best is better than Cameron's but I feel Cameron is more consistent than Cox, we only gave the swans a pick in the 60's for him so that's pretty good value and I think he'll be a decent player with more game time, he holds more marks than Cox and is a decent kick for goal, his best games were clearly the 4 he kicked against Melbourne and his 3 on Anzac Day, he's never going to be a star but he can be a decent forward with some handy stints in the ruck.

I think Cameron has opposition coaches worried, can kick a goal regularly and is a decent tap ruck, and already sturdy in contests.

Cox's best is phenomenal, but he is so easily skittled that most sides can manage him by just putting bodies into him and getting him lost under the ball. The odd game his judgement really clicks he's boots 3 in five minutes, but frankly even his best games are more like one or two blitzing ten minute spells and then the usual honest but flawed play. I think the Melbourne game (in 2018?) when he kicked 5 was his only game where he put together like actual quarters of good footy.

I think we can fit both but Cox is a wildcard, I can see Cameron being a first 18 player for a decade if he's fit. He is a versatile ruck forward with above average skills in both areas, and a reliable pack mark.

I think Cameron has opposition coaches worried, can kick a goal regularly and is a decent tap ruck, and already sturdy in contests.

Cox's best is phenomenal, but he is so easily skittled that most sides can manage him by just putting bodies into him and getting him lost under the ball. The odd game his judgement really clicks he's boots 3 in five minutes, but frankly even his best games are more like one or two blitzing ten minute spells and then the usual honest but flawed play. I think the Melbourne game (in 2018?) when he kicked 5 was his only game where he put together like actual quarters of good footy.

I think we can fit both but Cox is a wildcard, I can see Cameron being a first 18 player for a decade if he's fit. He is a versatile ruck forward with above average skills in both areas, and a reliable pack mark.
Yep I agree mate, Cox gets nudged under the ball too much for my liking and how many times does he spill marks? I'm talking chest ones at that but every now and then Cox does a few things where you go wow! I think he's been ok considering where he came from but he's no longer AFL standard but Cameron is good without being great but does offer a fair bit, I like him and giving a pick up in the 60's for him is pretty good business.

A decade?

Cameron would be 38 by then

Cameron is turning 27 and has 26 career goals to his name, at 0.9 goals per game. No opposition coach is worried about him. Cox goes at 1.3 goals per game.

Statistically the only area that Cox as a forward is greatly superior to Cameron (as others have touched on) is 1%.... the little tap on, shepherd, extra pressure act etc

Cox as a forward is the finished product. I think he’s now handy as Ben Hudson like ruck depth... and if he gets an extended run in the ruck due to Grundy injury... then he’d surprise a few

Cameron 1-2 seasons away from being at his peak as a ruck forward.
I’m expecting his stats to improve still...

And I am interested as to who others can name as a better ruck forward in the comp that’s not on 700-800k a year 🤷‍♂️

Statistically the only area that Cox as a forward is greatly superior to Cameron (as others have touched on) is 1%.... the little tap on, shepherd, extra pressure act etc

Cox as a forward is the finished product. I think he’s now handy as Ben Hudson like ruck depth... and if he gets an extended run in the ruck due to Grundy injury... then he’d surprise a few

Cameron 1-2 seasons away from being at his peak as a ruck forward.
I’m expecting his stats to improve still...

And I am interested as to who others can name as a better ruck forward in the comp that’s not on 700-800k a year 🤷‍♂️

...what about goals?

Cameron is turning 27 and has 26 career goals to his name, at 0.9 goals per game. No opposition coach is worried about him. Cox goes at 1.3 goals per game.

Exactly this. Cameron has moved past Cox by the barest of margins. It would not shock me to see Cox return to the 22 again in 2022 because his best is better than Cameron’s. I don’t think Cox was helped by the Buckley game plan and the Buckley lack of patience.

Neither are the long term solution. If Cameron was 22 and entering the peak physical phase of career I’d be confident he had upside. But his 2021, which was pretty good without being outstanding, is probably the best he can deliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back