Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 17th March 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #851

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team looks good.

A few nitpicks:
-Would rather Plow than Newman. Newman is a better kick, but Plow isn't bad...and better at every other facet
-TDK/Pitt, would've liked to see just the one ruck with JSOS backing him up
-Setterfield on his last chance, but you'd think he would be first to go when Walsh/Stocker are ready to return
-Honey is another best 25 I think, not sure who he replaces once he's fit, perhaps Owies

This is probably the strongest 22 we’ve had in the past five years (apart from Walsh missing).

It’s been a long time since we’ve had such a small injury pool of top 22 players.

No excuses.

Rip. Them. Apart!!
Amazing that it can be our strongest side in forever with our best player still missing and probably another 1-2 who are best 22.
Only the 17th time Harry, Charlie and Jack have all played together since being drafted.
First time in nearly 5 years that Charlie and Doc have played together.
Says a lot really.

Team looks good.

A few nitpicks:
-Would rather Plow than Newman. Newman is a better kick, but Plow isn't bad...and better at every other facet
-Setterfield on his last chance, but you'd think he would be first to go when Walsh/Stocker are ready to return
-Honey is another best 25 I think, not sure who he replaces once he's fit, perhaps Owies

Think Richmond playing Nankervis and Soldo + Riewoldt and Lynch and Balta has forced our hand somewhat.

And you can immediately see that we're beaten for run and spread, and that OMac is up against it no matter his opponent.

Strength around the contest is mixed, at best.

Richmond and Dogs is a really hard start to our year given they are both top teams (I expect Richmond to bounce back) and their game style is hard running, surging forward and flicking the ball around which isn't the easiest to defend for a team learning a new system.

Could easily be 0-2 and it wouldn't necessary be a doomsday scenario but lets see.

Team is pretty much spot on
I personally would of had Williamson
Over Newman and Setterfield
But understand both these boys deserved a round one spot and to think we still have the other boys named as emergencies plus Walsh 😍 Plowman
E Curnow stocker kemp honey Marchbank
To come back

Last edited:
Richmond and Dogs is a really hard start to our year given they are both top teams (I expect Richmond to bounce back) and their game style is hard running, surging forward and flicking the ball around which isn't the easiest to defend for a team learning a new system.

Could easily be 0-2 and it wouldn't necessary be a doomsday scenario but lets see.

Just need to win one of the first two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plow was named as needing match fitness/reason as to miss earlier in pre season a few weeks back. I think the fact that he’s had a quarter of game time is not enough, or I have the impression he isn’t match fit yet. Newman is more match fit at the moment, it’s a sensical decision it seems.

I believe in this group. I’m positive after pre season and finally feel a genuine chance after years of not being, in Rd 1 against these. Get around the lads

Reasonable team. Unfortunate Plowman has been denied by Newman, we'll see how that goes. Richmond pretty close to full strength, as usual, save for Vlastuin and Lambert.

Going to be a significant task to win this. Looking forward.

Yeah and look at their emergencies:
Emerg: H.Ralphsmith 45 R.Mansell 31 T.Dow 27 M.Parker 37

Not exactly stellar names there. Their list is actually pretty thin if they cop some injuries.

If Grimes and Graham missed through injury which seemed a very real possibility, and replaced by Mansell and Dow for example, I'd feel really confident.

Reasonable team. Unfortunate Plowman has been denied by Newman, we'll see how that goes. Richmond pretty close to full strength, as usual, save for Vlastuin and Lambert.

Going to be a significant task to win this. Looking forward.
Even if Plowman were cherry ripe, you've still got to contend with the issue of him being a pure stopper. Saad, McGovern and Docherty have most his duties handled, and all dispose better.

I stated we needed to consider trading one of him or McGovern over the last two off-seasons, and this is why.

I agree, but I feel we could have been even more competitive with a few tweaks.

No Ed and plow.. clear changing of the guard.
Both are underdone, particularly Ed.

Just need to win one of the first two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we at least play well, I won't be panicking if we start the season 0-2 given the quality of our first two opponents.

But yeah, would be nice to win one of the first two games for once and not start a season 0-3.

Team looks good.

A few nitpicks:
New coach and a player already on his last chance.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Can't remember the last time I've seen such a tall Richmond team.

Assuming Balta does play defence, they still have Riewoldt, Lynch and Soldo/Nank...
Weiters and Omac have to go with Riewoldt and Lynch.

Then who stands the ruck? Our third tall is Gov but he's not really tall enough to man a ruckman...unless we back his leap. Every chance as well the ruck sits near the goal square which would take Gov out of his intercepting role.

Think Richmond playing Nankervis and Soldo + Riewoldt and Lynch and Balta has forced our hand somewhat.
Disagree, as I don't see how Richmond are lining up with one of Broad, Gibcus or Short Grimes as the 2nd key defender.

I think Balta winds up in defence, with Broad, Rioli, and Short playing as running defenders, and Grimes and Gibcus on any significant intercept duties.

EDIT: muddled Grimes & Short.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back