Preview Rnd 1- Carlton v Richmond Thursday 16th March 7.20M @ MCG - Team - Post #898

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton-vs-Richmond.png

The first VFL game I ever saw live was Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG, Round 2 1979.

The sights, the sounds, the colours were awe inspiring. Banners, flags and scarves were draped over the fences and tiers of the mighty G.

Jezza, Doull, Dominator, Maclure, Southby, Fitzy, Sheldon, Harmes, Percy … the names keep coming. Up against Sheedy, Malthouse, Bartlett, Roach, Raines, Bourke, The Flea and the Ghost. Battle of the Gladiators at the Aussie Rules Coliseum. This was the stuff dreams are made of.

Fast forward 44 years and the names have changed but the importance and spectacle of this clash have not.

Both sides suffered big losses in their last start practice match. Carlton’s supporter base is fairly mixed in terms of genuine concern vs putting no stock in a preseason hitout. From what I have seen, there are real concerns from Richmond supporters as far as the form of aging players goes. A great importance is being placed on this game and what it means for their season. It’s a bit surreal given the massive confidence displayed by their supporters over the past 6 seasons.

On paper, we stack up fairly well.

Up forward, we have Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and cameos from TDK up against Balta, Grimes and whichever young tall they give a massive job to. Long story short, they’re going to have to play a team defence to hold our talls at bay. With Gibcus and Tarrant injured, I’ll be disappointed not to see at least 8 goals from our talls alone.

When the ball hits the ground however, whichever combination of Motlop, Fisher, Owies, C Durdin and Martin we play, are going to have to be on their game to stop the likes of Baker and Rioli sweeping the ball away on one of the Tigers’ famed length of the field scoring runs.

Down back for Carlton, McGovern is tipped to be fit and ready for this game and that could make all the difference with a tall threesome of him, Weitering and Young/ S Durdin likely to be named.

Again in the tall stakes, we look to have the upper hand against Lynch and Riewoldt, the latter who seems to be a shadow of his former self with his athleticism and high marking reduced to veteran guile and effort.

The concern again is when the ball is on the ground or in space. Richmond have two of the best small to medium attacking weapons in Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton. Strength, speed and x factor abounds. Carlton have to figure out who out of Docherty, Saad, Newman, Plowman, Cincotta or Cowan are going to be selected and are going to match up on these two. I’d suggest Saad on Bolton but I have some concern that with Martin needing someone quicker than a tall, but taller than a small, we are going to go with the ‘plays small against talls and plays tall against small’ quasi-hybrid Lachie Plowman, rather than throw newbies a dangerous assignment. When the Tigers have one ruckman on the bench, I’d give the Martin assignment to McGovern who plays talls and runs like a small.

As usual the midfield battle is where it is at. If the Carlton midfield gets on top, the supply to our tall forwards will decide this game. We can still score even if the ball is coming in haphazardly, but clean ball will make us very hard to stop.

Conversely, I think the Tigers midfield needs clean supply for their talls to score well. If it comes in dirty, as per their usual chaos ball tactics, they’re going to lean heavily on their smalls to do the scoring.

If the midfields break even, I fancy our chances of winning with the better (on paper) key forwards and defenders.

Pittonet and De Koning feeding the core four of Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett. Boy does it look thinner with Sam Walsh missing. Will Docherty play midfield or will the likes of Paddy Dow or Jack Carroll get a look in?

For the Tigers, Nankervis and Soldo will be feeding Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Ross and maybe Cotchin since Tigers fans think he stinks as a small forward option. The huge question mark here is whether Dion Prestia is over a hamstring concern. Taranto already looks like Richmond’s best midfielder. I can very much see this battle coming down to the ruckwork and there I have the Tigers duo narrowly in front. Whoever plays as the Blues rotation midfielders are going to have to play out of their skins.

On the wings Carlton have Acres, LOB, Hollands vs Richmond’s McIntosh, Ralphsmith and Pickett. The presence of Acres means we have a chance to actually win on one of these wings, so I can see us playing that side of the ground far more than the other.

I’m really hoping that Carlton select some new players for this game, as it was abundantly clear that the likes of Cowan, Hollands and Cincotta are going to fight hard for a spot, and they offer a lot of energy and enthusiasm that can spark our side.

Conclusion: There will be plenty of heat in this game and the determination of the Blues to make good on their promises after the disappointing end to last season, will truly be tested. However, the reigning Brownlow medalist, the last two Coleman medalists and a string of fairly recent All Australians make it difficult to see anything other than a Carlton win.

Blues by 18 points.

Last edited:
I can pick 19

B: Saad, Weiters, Newman
HB: Docherty, Young, McGovern
C: Acres, Hewett, O'Brien
HF: Silvagni, Curnow, Fisher
F: Motlop, McKay
Foll: TDK, Cripps, Cerra
I/C: Kennedy, Cowan

Pitto didn't look fit enough yet, so I'd let TDK take the ruck with SOS backing up.
Hopefully Martin and Durdin are right to fill in the last 2 forward spots, but I'm not holding my breath.
You'd think it would be Hollands, Dow and Ed battling for the last mid spot, and the sub. I'd lean towards the first 2.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Docherty Young Saad
Acres Cripps Hollands
Fisher McKay JSOS
Motlop Curnow Durdin
Pitto Cerra Hewett

Cowan, Kennedy, LOB, TDK
Sub: Martin

-Still not convinced about this team with 2 rucks but we need another tall in the forward line when McKay or Curnow are on the bench
-I don’t want to go in with more than 2 players (Durdin and McGov) who haven’t featured in preseason, so Martin gets the sub role
-Debuts for Cowan and Hollands, completely deserved

Honestly not sure what to expect

With a few returning

McGovern Weitering Newman
Cincotta/Cowan Young Saad

TDK Hewett Docherty
Acres Cripps Hollands

Martin Charlie Motlop
Durdin McKay JSos

Kennedy Cerra Fisher Pitto

Sub Ed

Emg: LOB Cowan/Cincotta Carroll Owies

Who’s your 7th defender

Honestly finding it very difficult to pick the team. Not sure about Martin, Marchy or Little Durds' fitness.

B:15. Docherty23. Weitering24. Newman
HB:11. McGovern33. Young42. Saad
C:4. O'Brien5. Cerra13. Acres
HF:25. Fisher10. McKay14. Hollands
F:3. Motlop30. Curnow21. Martin
R:27. Pittonet9. Cripps29. Hewett
INT:1. Silvagni7. Kennedy12. De Koning
26. Cowan
SUB:19. Durdin
EMG:22. Marchbank35. Curnow44. Owies

Hence why I had Doc as a mid/defender and only 1 of Cowan/Cincotta in the side

You had him listed at ruck rover which I thought implied the bulk of his time will be spent in midfield.

80-85% defence, 5-10% midfield when required, 10% resting, is the way I see it.

All good.

I'm just interested as to who's on Dusty as a full time fwd?

The rest of the ground I'm relatively confident, Charlie and Harry should be able to get on top of a beat up old Grimes and Tarrant is either going to be underdone or out with a youngster coming in as his replacement. Balta is also a pretty dumb footballer so although he'll compete well, he'll give up a few in the process.

Hoping Weiters and Gov are at full fitness for this one as I think they're close to our most important players this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rest of the ground I'm relatively confident, Charlie and Harry should be able to get on top of a beat up old Grimes and Tarrant is either going to be underdone or out with a youngster coming in as his replacement. Balta is also a pretty dumb footballer so although he'll compete well, he'll give up a few in the process.

Hoping Weiters and Gov are at full fitness for this one as I think they're close to our most important players this year.

Think Newman will take Dusty

I reckon they’ll be without Tarrant Prestia (strained pec won’t recover in 12 days) and Cotchin (who should get suspended).

Newman on Dusty and McGovern helping in the air...

What I'd like to see:

FB: Cowan Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cerra O'Brien
HF: Motlop C.Curnow Fisher
FF: Silvagni McKay C.Durdin

R: TDK Cripps Hewett

Int: Marchbank, Hollands, Dow, Kennedy

Sub: Carroll

What we'll probably see:

FB: Newman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cerra O'Brien
HF: Motlop C.Curnow Fisher
FF: Silvagni McKay C.Durdin

R: TDK Cripps Hewett

Int: Cincotta, Hollands, Kennedy, Pittonet

Sub: E.Curnow

I reckon they’ll be without Tarrant Prestia (strained pec won’t recover in 12 days) and Cotchin (who should get suspended).
Weiters to take Lynch. Newman first crack on Dusty. Hoping Prestia doesn't play, he always cuts us up. The other guy Bolton, is very slippery and a concern. I wouldn't like one of our debutant's taking him on. If Cotchin is cited, and Prestia doesn't come up, that's two quality mids they'll be down. There's a question mark over the fitness of Pitts, McGov, Marchy and Durds. Have to have trust in our MC to get it right.

It’s getting exciting - we finally got a good mix of experience & youth, X-factors and workhorses…

We should be in contention every single game - I’m looking forward to a fun year :D

Bounce the ball already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back