Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Post up for the Melbourne game: Round 10 v Melbourne: Grading on a curve - The Shinboner

It's basically a Part 2 to the ball movement post from a couple of weeks ago, because I saw a few tweaks to the setups and I liked what I saw.

(PS: This could have started last week, but I had no way to tell from the TV coverage for the Port game)

Not sure if these questions have answers:
Tarryn Thomas - what do we make of Tarryn Thomas year? Was one who was tipped as a smokey for all Australian and so far appears to have regressed
• Are we rotating midfielders as much as it seems? think ldu dominating the second QTR against Carlton then starting on a flank, tarryn Thomas the same against freo seems strange to me
• currently what is statistically our best midfield mix?

Great write up as usual, would you describe the lack of defence and inability to adapt mid game a coaching flaw?

You have to wonder if Noble and the rest of the coaching panel put much opposition analysis into their preparation?

To me it’s like he is stubbornly stuck on the concept of how he wants the team to play, with little regard for what the opposition brings to the game.

I love the comment that we it’s like we are forced to battle with one hand behind our back. It’s exactly how I feel in regards to Noble’s coaching strategy.

I get the frustrations but if I takes Noble’s words at face value during the week, the biggest challenge our group is currently struggling with (there seem to be a few!) is implementing a rolling 18 man defence.

If this is the case I’m not sure they are in a position to run a defensive small forward tag as my hunch is it would further complicate what they are trying to teach.

I don’t have behind goals to see if they are folding back to quickly but I could understand how’d you naturally do that if you are a midfielder considering our first 12 games.

My biggest gripe for this year has been our complete lack of ability to lock the ball in our front half and our lack of front half tackles.

It’s very grim at the moment but I’m hopeful I’ve noted some improvement in the last 3 weeks. Keep it up Rick - best in the business and I hope you get picked up by a major broadcaster.

I get the frustrations but if I takes Noble’s words at face value during the week, the biggest challenge our group is currently struggling with (there seem to be a few!) is implementing a rolling 18 man defence.

If this is the case I’m not sure they are in a position to run a defensive small forward tag as my hunch is it would further complicate what they are trying to teach.

I don’t have behind goals to see if they are folding back to quickly but I could understand how’d you naturally do that if you are a midfielder considering our first 12 games.

My biggest gripe for this year has been our complete lack of ability to lock the ball in our front half and our lack of front half tackles.

It’s very grim at the moment but I’m hopeful I’ve noted some improvement in the last 3 weeks. Keep it up Rick - best in the business and I hope you get picked up by a major broadcaster.
What have you noted in particular?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

When you've given up, things aren't good.

It’s a massive concern when the best most invested analyst of our team is unclear on what they are seeing.

Rick is a gun and honestly if he doesn’t know how could any of us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What have you noted in particular?

Over the last 3 weeks I have noticed the following
- we have defended similar amounts of inside 50’s better. More help at the contest. Apart from McKay we are pretty bad if left 1v1.
- I think this has been setup by more deliberate ball movement. A piece of play against Melb where we worked the ball with shorter kicks from end to end sticks in the mind. We seemed either incapable or didn’t want to try this earlier in the year.

We have hung around in games a little longer and generally been a bit harder to play against IMO.

Having said that the footy we served up in rounds 3 - 8 barring the Syd game was GWS season 1 levels, or Fitzroy 96. I know this well as I was a Roys fan!

Fingers crossed we can get rolling in the back half of the year like last season. Hall and McKay coming back in we’ll help us a heap.

Post up for the St Kilda game: Round 11 v St Kilda: Unconventional defending - The Shinboner

I'd like to give a big, thorough preview of what it's about, but it's entirely me trying to figure out why North set up to defend like they did. I dunno.
Much the same Rick. It was a simple watch yesterday. Especially behind the goals watching our defenders try and move the ball.
Absolutely zero method behind the plan. If you can call it that. It just seemed like inevitable punishment. Not once did we use the corridor or had a runner coming through. Forwards out of position. I honestly dont know what the * yesterday was.

When you watch videos of other teams it's clear where the issue is. When they get the ball they don't hesitate and move the ball quickly. This comes with practice and more practice. St Kilda looked a million dollars against us but failed when they try this against a better side like Melbourne.
When we try to switch and switch quickly we have the ball on our terms. Some of our players are capable of doing this others are not.

Over the last 3 weeks I have noticed the following
- we have defended similar amounts of inside 50’s better. More help at the contest. Apart from McKay we are pretty bad if left 1v1.
- I think this has been setup by more deliberate ball movement. A piece of play against Melb where we worked the ball with shorter kicks from end to end sticks in the mind. We seemed either incapable or didn’t want to try this earlier in the year.

We have hung around in games a little longer and generally been a bit harder to play against IMO.

Having said that the footy we served up in rounds 3 - 8 barring the Syd game was GWS season 1 levels, or Fitzroy 96. I know this well as I was a Roys fan!

Fingers crossed we can get rolling in the back half of the year like last season. Hall and McKay coming back in we’ll help us a heap.

Yeah I don't mind the deliberate ball movement part of things, that's understandable, you can see the process behind it and it makes sense.

My gripe is that the way the team is being set up to defend - so deep - is just not what works in today's AFL.

A few pages back there's a post somewhere with me saying I can't figure out what they're trying to do defensively. Now I've figured it out, and it's something which would fit in mid 2000's AFL. Not 2022, we're just drawing dead by starting everything from the back half. It's not soccer where you can get away with a low block, everything has to start where the ball is.

Yeah I don't mind the deliberate ball movement part of things, that's understandable, you can see the process behind it and it makes sense.

My gripe is that the way the team is being set up to defend - so deep - is just not what works in today's AFL.

A few pages back there's a post somewhere with me saying I can't figure out what they're trying to do defensively. Now I've figured it out, and it's something which would fit in mid 2000's AFL. Not 2022, we're just drawing dead by starting everything from the back half. It's not soccer where you can get away with a low block, everything has to start where the ball is.
Any thoughts on what they are trying to achieve by doing this?

Is there a possibility that they're trying to implement an 18-man defensive structure, but while the players are learning it they've shifted it further back?

It would kind of make sense as you would ship less easy goals when someone misses an assignment or is caught in the wrong position. Theoretically it would reduce the blowout losses.

The problem would be what we see every week, a lack of pressure on the opposition coming out of defence.

I'm maybe trying to justify it too much here though.

You have to wonder if Noble and the rest of the coaching panel put much opposition analysis into their preparation?

To me it’s like he is stubbornly stuck on the concept of how he wants the team to play, with little regard for what the opposition brings to the game.

I love the comment that we it’s like we are forced to battle with one hand behind our back. It’s exactly how I feel in regards to Noble’s coaching strategy.
My mail is we don't worry too much about opposition

If that’s true, it really is a red flag for someone coaching at the elite level.

To ignore opposition strengths and weakness is failing to present good learning opportunities for the players.

I’m not sure if David knows this, but at AFL level you rarely get to play the game on your own terms unless you are the best in the comp. Even then I am pretty sure the best teams identify strengths and weaknesses to see what they might be able to exploit.

For someone who likes nourishment so much that seems like a missed opportunity. Small tailor made objectives based on the specific opponent team/players would be a good source for small wins. Not to mention that some gamplans will be harder to go up against than others, so do we not even make specific alterations in those instances?

Is there a possibility that they're trying to implement an 18-man defensive structure, but while the players are learning it they've shifted it further back?

It would kind of make sense as you would ship less easy goals when someone misses an assignment or is caught in the wrong position. Theoretically it would reduce the blowout losses.

The problem would be what we see every week, a lack of pressure on the opposition coming out of defence.

I'm maybe trying to justify it too much here though.
My guess was that it was simply the mids not carrying out instruction properly and folding back too quickly.

I am with you Rick, i hope the deep defensive structures aren't necessarily a coached outcome. Good teams press up and force turnovers higher up the ground and I'd assume this is what he is trying to do at North as well.

I agree with you Kangas in that our lack of front half pressure if probably blowing up any abilty to set the ground up defensively.

Hopefully the boys get the through the game against the Suns unscathed, have a good block of training post bye and execute better in the 2nd half the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back