Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest episode is up with Ricky for anyone that wants a listen

Just to add to this, we go super deep on a few topics: how to look at the last week and a half of media coverage, the on-field style (i.e. most of the last page on here flipped into a long conversation), and discussions about where to go next.

Your posts used to make me feel better, now they make me feel like we have NFI.

If we have a muddled team, that is on the coach.

Is there any light in this tunnel or are we mining to the center of the earth.

Seems like a very nice way of saying that the players aren’t playing for the coach or aren’t buying what he is selling?

As soon as you start questioning how invested players are in something, it only leads back to one point of origin.

We can all see it, but will those in charge end the nightmare?

We bemoan our apparent lack of plan especially coming out of defense but our current ‘no plan’ looks eerily similar to the Brad Scott ‘plan’ of kick it to Goldy/ Larkey ( insert name here) on the wing and get it out of bounds. Happy for us to at least try something else

Hopped on the North Talk podcast this week - was actually most keen to talk about the whole JHF Insta like and how to approach it considering socials are my day job. Also chat about Patch's VFL comments, why I thought (most of it) was good coaching, and a few other things.

Next you’ll be on Footy Classified.

Hopped on the North Talk podcast this week - was actually most keen to talk about the whole JHF Insta like and how to approach it considering socials are my day job. Also chat about Patch's VFL comments, why I thought (most of it) was good coaching, and a few other things.

Hey mate - listened to this today.

Love your work - also listened to you on the hashtag poddy too.

Listening (and reading) to your opinion helps keep me sane as you help keep the emotion and overreactions in check.

I know there is a lot of question marks over Noble's ability as a coach but I'm super curious - what is the rest of the coaching staff doing?

If Noble is a good footy operator which I have no doubt he is - I can't imagine him being 'it's 100% my way or nothing' when it comes to strategy and game plan.

You talked about our midfield being caught out by Gold Coast - is it reasonable to assume that maybe the assistants, mainly Russel and possibly stewards like Brown need to be replaced?

Again, with our midfield, last year, especially towards the backend we thought we had really great youth coming through, ie LDU, Simpkin, Powell, Philips. Do you think we are expecting too much from kids who last year were the cherry on top with Goldy and Cunners leading our midfield?

Have I got my head in the sand thinking that this is what we should expect from the players we have? Or have we got a list can be more competitive than we are?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post up for the Gold Coast game: Round 12 v Gold Coast: Brief glimpses, then more of the same - The Shinboner

Actually saw some flashes in the first quarter so a bit on the (temporary) improvement there. Then it's full-scale on the second quarter, what happened and what (I think) it means from a big picture POV.
I think you missed a couple of things there. In both the Rankin out the back of back goal and the Miller stealing a march we actually had our hands on the ball first. But both Hayden and Simpkin gave up stupid handballs that allowed GC to win the stoppage. What they need to do was to wear the tackle and lock the ball in (or find a team mate if you're going to try and handball) but instead they coughed it up. We just don't seem to have the hunger to protect possession.

Hey Rick, what in your opinion is the major difference between this year where we look no where near it and last year where we looked much more in games more consistently?

Post up for the GWS game: Round 13 v GWS: Effort v system - The Shinboner

Thought the effort was actually good, but the system wasn't there. So five clips illustrating that. Then a bit on JHF to finish and why I'm not fussed about things.
Interestingly examples 2 and 3 show Ziebell switching off at half back, with the first being his direct opponent burning him off to get the handball receive and the second him not switching once Perez moves across. Jack is a bit of a liability when we don't have the ball.

I too am not as down on yesterdays performance as many on here seem to be as it seemed for the first time in weeks the team gave a s**t. Sure, we were pox for significant patches but i thought there were some signs of things stating to turn.

Interestingly examples 2 and 3 show Ziebell switching off at half back, with the first being his direct opponent burning him off to get the handball receive and the second him not switching once Perez moves across. Jack is a bit of a liability when we don't have the ball.

I too am not as down on yesterdays performance as many on here seem to be as it seemed for the first time in weeks the team gave a s**t. Sure, we were pox for significant patches but i thought there were some signs of things stating to turn.

Have to say, I find it a bit bizarre that anyone thinks the players don't give a s**t. You can question the fitness, the skill levels, the experience, the team selections, and the game plan as well as the players' comprehension of, and ability to carry out that game plan. But I suggest that any time it might occur to you they don't care, that's almost certainly not the case, and what you are looking at is due to one or more of the deficiencies listed above.

And I appreciate that you are responding to yesterday's performance with some degree of optimism. We've heard that we need to look for small wins. Yes, we got blown away in the first quarter and the contest was over at half time. But to break even in the second half showed some sign of resilience when all hope was lost. At least that's something.

Have to say, I find it a bit bizarre that anyone thinks the players don't give a s**t. You can question the fitness, the skill levels, the experience, the team selections, and the game plan as well as the players' comprehension of, and ability to carry out that game plan. But I suggest that any time it might occur to you they don't care, that's almost certainly not the case, and what you are looking at is due to one or more of the deficiencies listed above.

And I appreciate that you are responding to yesterday's performance with some degree of optimism. We've heard that we need to look for small wins. Yes, we got blown away in the first quarter and the contest was over at half time. But to break even in the second half showed some sign of resilience when all hope was lost. At least that's something.
Ok, let me rephrase.

I felt the teams level of s**t giving yesterday was greater than it has been in some time as evidenced by a seeming increase in physical effort, intensity and attack on man and ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back