Review Rd 21 - 1 of 6 Down, Freo Get Up Over the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

As a complete side note, was watching Ross on footy classified talk about the Adelaide camp saga and he was saying there was no way that Mcpharlin and Pav would let that happen.

Human psychology is very interesting because almost everyone believes they would stand up to the evil but history and experiments have proven that people not only don't see the evil, they will actively participate and enforce that evil on others.

Our herd mind is very easily manipulated. It's the old prison guard at a concentration camp moral dilemma.

Excuse the intrusion, I just wanted to say well played yesterday. You looked incredibly well drilled and organised and I thought the score flattered us in the end. David Mundy once again made me wish we had him instead of Steven Koops, amazing career and still playing well.

You have a good coach and lots of young talent on your list - you should be in for a few exciting seasons. Good luck in the finals, I will be cheering you on

You guys aren’t done yet , your talls will be the envy of the competition in a couple of years

Best Victorian club by a mile

Am on this train. Am an avid watcher of the OBYB podcast and its obvious from all who come on how much the young leaders are driving the club at the moment.

Theres a story from the Banfield episode that probably sums it up well. Fyfe has on the red 'cant touch him' vest. Gets the ball on the goal line, Bailey having already got in trouble once for tackling Fyfe just looks to corral him. Fyfe looks around for a target and runs into the goal post and proceeds to rip into Bailey.

I think the club has gone past having 1 player messiahs. It was such a legacy of Ross the Boss. The match winners will win you the game week in week out. This new dockers side on any given Saturday you can get a match winning performance from just about anyone in the 22. Whether than be Freddy, Lobb, Aish, Acres, shoota. Brayshaw can have 20 touches and be close to the most influential player on the ground due to sheer effort. I think that's a model that Brayshaw can lead better than Fyfe, who's leadership style would seem, from the outside looking in, to be of the 'get on my shoulders and I will take you to the promise land' style of yesteryear.

As a complete side note, was watching Ross on footy classified talk about the Adelaide camp saga and he was saying there was no way that Mcpharlin and Pav would let that happen.
I am pretty sure i have heard Barlow & Sheridan mention on podcasts. Ross wouldn't allow anyone tackle Fyfe or along those lines similar to Bailey.

I could be wrong but i swear i have heard it before from former players that Ross would blast anyone who laid on finger on Fyfe at training.

I am pretty sure i have heard Barlow & Sheridan mention on podcasts. Ross wouldn't allow anyone tackle Fyfe or along those lines similar to Bailey.

I could be wrong but i swear i have heard it before from former players that Ross would blast anyone who laid on finger on Fyfe at training.
I mean, his shoulders are essentially held together by strapping tape and hope at this point so I can see why

That is quite blatantly not correct. Anyone who went along to training (and I got to a lot in those days) knows that Fyfe got no special favours. I remember one drill they used to do where they would "run a gauntlet" between a row of players with padded bags. Fyfe would get hammered all the way through but was like a bulldozer. He and Suban used to have some ding dong physical tussles.

Like all players, if Fyfe is injured he is hands off, but otherwise he seems to thrive on the hard stuff.

I know he's not been at his best this year, but the bashing he gets on here from some borders on lunacy. Still, I remember it wasn't long ago Walters was a liability who should have been scrapped.

That is quite blatantly not correct. Anyone who went along to training (and I got to a lot in those days) knows that Fyfe got no special favours. I remember one drill they used to do where they would "run a gauntlet" between a row of players with padded bags. Fyfe would get hammered all the way through but was like a bulldozer. He and Suban used to have some ding dong physical tussles.

Like all players, if Fyfe is injured he is hands off, but otherwise he seems to thrive on the hard stuff.

I know he's not been at his best this year, but the bashing he gets on here from some borders on lunacy. Still, I remember it wasn't long ago Walters was a liability who should have been scrapped.
yeah its easy to say after a good win that we dont need fyfe anymore, but the tune will change if we get battered by a bigger more experienced midfield, especially in a final, fyfe will make a mark on the game one way or another

how good to see brayshaw on the goal kickers list, needs to keep that up, hes absolutely capable

our goalkicking in general was great, freddie from around 35 out is probably our most reliable now (excluding mythical lobb from 50 on the boundary) which is great, never used to be that confident in his set shots

Fyfe is being judged on being a two-time brownlow medallist where he is currently a long way short, instead of a best 22 player, which he clearly is. You'd just put him in that Tucker role. That was a great game from Tucker but it's an standard game for Fyfe, even at his current level

This was paid as a free kick against Darcy for a "push".

View attachment 1470175

The mind boggles.

I don't know what it is with Darcy and the umps. In general under JLo I don't think we get regularly shafted like we used to under RTB so it's probably not the purple jumper.

Is it because he looks a bit big and clumsy? Whatever it is, every week I see ruckman blatantly run under the ball to block the other and never get called for it. But Darcy gets pinged every single time - and plenty of times when he clearly hasn't done anything wrong.

I actually think it's a credit to him that he's never given away a 50 for remonstrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah its easy to say after a good win that we dont need fyfe anymore, but the tune will change if we get battered by a bigger more experienced midfield, especially in a final, fyfe will make a mark on the game one way or another
Last week for example - does anyone honestly think an 80% Fyfe would not have made us more competitive against Melbourne?

"Fremantle is better without Fyfe" is a very common narrative amongst Eagles supporters (for obvious reasons) and is just as stupid as their old "Yeo is better than Fyfe" mantra.

Odriscoll was good. Adds a lot of run to the wing.
Enjoyed how we moved the ball. Not sure how much of this was us, and how much was the buldogs.

Lobb, Sturt, Schultz, Frederick all good, but our kicking to the forward 50 was good as well.

No one played a bad game
Hard no. Cox is an absolute gun, and arguably should be AA. Looks lazy for sure, but is superb regards positioning, marking, distribution and decision making. He'd walk into any side in the comp.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cox had a bad game. Needed to spoil a few, went for the mark and the ball spilled to bulldogs twice. Last goal given away when he could have hand balled to Ryan.

Missed easy pass into corridor in the last that was turned over and should have cost us a goal.

Missed a pass to leading players on the wing, second or third quarter. Turn over and goal.

He has been very good this year. Love his development and his disposal is normally very good. On the weekend he cost the team.

I hope he can clean it up heading into finals and build on an impressive season.

If he plays it has to be 100% fwd just to replace taberner. If we need to switch up the midfield inject switta in.
Definitely having the fitness levels required to stand up to finals midfield time would be a major concern. Hopefully Fyfe is studying like crazy the forward structure and how he can best fit seamlessly into that.

Last week for example - does anyone honestly think an 80% Fyfe would not have made us more competitive against Melbourne?

"Fremantle is better without Fyfe" is a very common narrative amongst Eagles supporters (for obvious reasons) and is just as stupid as their old "Yeo is better than Fyfe" mantra.

Of course an 80% Fyfe would have made us more competitive. The problem is that before he got injured again he was barely 50%, IMO (I struggle to even call it 50%) and having very little (if any) impact on games. The Fyfe that we have seen over the last couple of months would have made no ounce of difference against Melbourne.

Fyfe is being judged on being a two-time brownlow medallist where he is currently a long way short, instead of a best 22 player, which he clearly is. You'd just put him in that Tucker role. That was a great game from Tucker but it's an standard game for Fyfe, even at his current level
Don’t agree. If Tucker continues to play that role, like he did, then he stays in and Fyfe plays forward. Nat has no speed nor run and carry. Tucker can be the left foot Mundy if he really backs himself. He was up and about in the first minute alongside Serong.

Of course an 80% Fyfe would have made us more competitive. The problem is that before he got injured again he was barely 50%, IMO (I struggle to even call it 50%) and having very little (if any) impact on games. The Fyfe that we have seen over the last couple of months would have made no ounce of difference against Melbourne.
If this was 50% Fyfe I'll take it thanks :thumbsu:

If we are not prepared to get Fyfe in and back to full fitness and form the we will get absolutely killed by the bigger bodied midfields come finals (in my opinion only).

1659924774640.png

If we are not prepared to get Fyfe in and back to full fitness and form the we will get absolutely killed by the bigger bodied midfields come finals (in my opinion only).

View attachment 1470221

Dogs were meant to have one of the best midfields in the league, a whole team of them actually- and I thought we matched them.

I’m a fyfe forward for 80% theorist if / when he returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t agree. If Tucker continues to play that role, like he did, then he stays in and Fyfe plays forward. Nat has no speed nor run and carry. Tucker can be the left foot Mundy if he really backs himself. He was up and about in the first minute alongside Serong.
It's amazing, Tucker has gone from "if we continue to play Tucker we are going nowhere" to the left-foot Mundy! We quickly overlook the deficiencies of our average players and focus on the deficiencies of our greats like Fyfe, Walters and Mundy.

I thought Tucker played a reasonable game by his standards, but this does not scream "pick me".

1659925335922.png

Attachments

• 1659925308401.png
    1659925308401.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 78

View attachment 1470221

That stat line is all well and good if he is going to play strictly forward. The problem is that won't be the case- not to mention his goal kicking is still absolute shithouse more often than not. Saints backline is also not that good so it isn't like he was having to play against elite defenders.

That stat line is all well and good if he is going to play strictly forward. The problem is that won't be the case- not to mention his goal kicking is still absolute shithouse more often than not. Saints backline is also not that good so it isn't like he was having to play against elite defenders.
Look to his credit he's not ******* up the 30 out directly in front anymore 🥴

Remove this Banner Ad

Back