List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what that means?

I guess that means

1) we know he's coming here but we don't want to say much now because we're still live in finals and would prefer not to have the distraction.

Or

2) He has our offer, we're happy with it. It's what we think is fair. If he chooses Port or stays at the Dogs rather than come to us then so be it.

If Dunkley wasn't to eventuate (and goes to Port), I'd be into Willem Drew (and I think someone else mentioned him a few pages back) as another option.

Relatively big body, runs both ways, friends with McCluggage and Berry, and IIRC, was relegated to sub later in the year.

He may be up for a change of scenery if Dunkley lands there?

FWIW, I'd also be keen on Melican from the Swans if we have next to no trading chips, after it's all said and done. Good insurance and would cost us next to nothing.

Anyone heard any whispers on Jarrod Cameron. Wasn't he supposed to resurface 12 months on?
been Wanting Drew
last few trades periods. Under rated but a role player.

‘He’s not that big a fish’

Most of this forum said the same about Lachie because they didn’t look hard enough behind Fyfe’s shadow. Dunkley is absolutely a premium midfielder who would be incredibly valuable to get in our colours, but once again people can’t see because he’s behind brighter lights in the Dogs’ pecking order.

Right skill set, right age bracket and apparently leadership skills. This is absolutely a big fish
Dunkley is not only a great footballer but a great human being. Extremely well spoken young man. would add a lot to any club. Will be a huge loss to the dogs but if you wanna play stat pushers like Macrae than this is what happens.

If it is true it will be interesting to see if we have someone else lined up and/or how we plan on using our first pick this year given it’s effectively in play as we don’t really need it.

I guess we could look at another player or potentially move it into next years draft somehow? briztoon hows next years first round looking, if a team would be willing to trade out of it for a pick this year? I assume the only teams possibly interested in that would be teams similar to us on the ladder, given our first pick this year isn’t exactly top end.
Next year’s first round is looking very strong. Better top end talent, stronger depth.

Future first round picks will be hard to come by during this trade and draft period.

However, a lot of teams are willing to trade out of this year’s draft for proven players, even mediocre players, or future picks.

Received a text out of the blue from my brother last night re: dunkley. I have not spoken to him about the topic at all prior. Said dunkley will be a lion next year.

Tried to get out of him where he got the information from, all he will say is he knows someone who knows someone….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Received a text out of the blue from my brother last night re: dunkley. I have not spoken to him about the topic at all prior. Said dunkley will be a lion next year.

Tried to get out of him where he got the information from, all he will say is he knows someone who knows someone….
We can (& should) all thank & be grateful to Fagan & The Lions "brains trust" who keep this club moving ahead. We are so lucky to have such a smart gathering of professional people running our club.

Next year’s first round is looking very strong. Better top end talent, stronger depth.

Future first round picks will be hard to come by during this trade and draft period.

However, a lot of teams are willing to trade out of this year’s draft for proven players, even mediocre players, or future picks.
IF we have the opportunity to grab all 3 of WAshcroft, Fletcher, Dunkley this year
and given we will likely want to bring in LAshcroft in 2024
and based on the above I've highlighted

Why not use our 2023 pick, which may be over valued by some, to ensure we can achieve what we want to out of the 22 and 24 drafts? The only downside I can see is given all the above players are mids we wont have an opportunity to draft a young tall as an early pick for at least a few seasons (assuming LAshcroft will be an early pick) so we would have to address that some other way.

We can (& should) all thank & be grateful to Fagan & The Lions "brains trust" who keep this club moving ahead. We are so lucky to have such a smart gathering of professional people running our club.

Any good to elite player wanting to join our club in the recent years - I'll credit that totally to Fagan. I'm sure word gets around how positive and extremely loyal he is, that's all players could ask for.

IF we have the opportunity to grab all 3 of WAshcroft, Fletcher, Dunkley this year

Why not use our 2023 pick, which may be over valued by some, to ensure we can achieve what we want to out of the 22 and 24 drafts? The only downside I can see is given all the above players are mids we wont have an opportunity to draft a young tall as an early pick for at least a few seasons (assuming LAshcroft will be an early pick) so we would have to address that some other way.

It's a balancing act. The club may be happy to wipe all picks in 2023 to achieve this but I remember reading if we trade 2023 first, then we have to hold 2023 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

So if we trade 2022 and 2023 first for Dunkley, then we need to find a way to get enough points back for Ashcroft and Fletcher, as well as not get caught up in breaking any rules. I'm sure club will figure something out. It could be a 2 firsts for Dunkley and 2nd like briztoon posted before, then use that 2nd and McStay compo to collect all points needed this year etc. We have few permutations to go through post-season.

Any good to elite player wanting to join our club in the recent years - I'll credit that totally to Fagan. I'm sure word gets around how positive and extremely loyal he is, that's all players could ask for.
Its not just restricted to the players list....its everything related to running this club and keeping it moving forward in the way it is.

WE do have the opportunity right now and it's real.
Levi Ashcroft is a battle to fight another day in my opinion. Right now we need to find the best way forward in having these 3 at our club in 2023.
Young talls are important I agree 100%,but as a priority we need good mids to help us right now.

I'd say there's a 100% chance he will be hated by 100% of all Port supporters after this.

He's set Port up with a classic "you're almost the winners" now.
When it falls apart, he'll flip the narrative to how Port can't get deals done.

Got You Reaction GIF by CBS

If Dunkley were to come than trade value is an interesting one. I'd like it to if berry wanted to leave us while contracted. Now you can debate value but circumstances with each team are not crazily dissimilar. Both have shown evidence they can be very good players but both have been limited in their consistency, berry due to injury and Dunkley due to who else they have prioritised in the midfield. Personally I'd rate Dunkley higher than Berry based on exposed form but if we're looking at trade expectations then that's where I'd come from perspective wise if I was a lions fan.

I think a lower first round pick is probably a good starting point. Not sure what else I'd add in there. Maybe some points picks swaps. What if they asked for a answerth type player or indeed a lohmann. Interesting thoughts

That's the kind of analysis skills that gets you on Trade Radio...
Q What does being able to work out that in 18 games there will be 18 winners and 18 losers (barring draws) get you?

Q What does being amazed at that fact get you?

...apart from being part of a meme and general ridicule that is...

If Dunkley were to come than trade value is an interesting one. I'd like it to if berry wanted to leave us while contracted. Now you can debate value but circumstances with each team are not crazily dissimilar. Both have shown evidence they can be very good players but both have been limited in their consistency, berry due to injury and Dunkley due to who else they have prioritised in the midfield. Personally I'd rate Dunkley higher than Berry based on exposed form but if we're looking at trade expectations then that's where I'd come from perspective wise if I was a lions fan.

I think a lower first round pick is probably a good starting point. Not sure what else I'd add in there. Maybe some points picks swaps. What if they asked for a answerth type player or indeed a lohmann. Interesting thoughts
I’ve got Dunkley pegged at around pick 30.Hasn’t shown much in the midfield.Career half way over.Wink.

LIONS FREE AGENT STILL WEIGHING FUTURE

BRISBANE defender Darcy Gardiner is set to wait until the end of the club's finals campaign before deciding on his future.

The Lions have tabled Gardiner a long-term offer and he remains determined to stay in Brisbane, but has set his focus solely on football ahead of the club's preliminary final against Geelong on Friday night.

Gardiner has been weighing Victorian interest throughout the campaign, though his position as a restricted free agent would allow the Lions to match any rival offer should he choose to leave.

The 26-year-old has once again been an ever-present for Brisbane throughout this season, playing 20 of a possible 24 games and playing crucial lockdown defensive roles during finals victories over Richmond and Melbourne.

Gardiner is one of just three restricted free agents still yet to re-sign beyond this season, with Collingwood's Jordan De Goey and Sydney's Lance Franklin also still considering their futures.

The Lions expect to lose fellow free agent Dan McStay on a long-term deal to Collingwood at season's end, while veterans Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson also remain uncontracted. – Riley Beveridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back