Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone remember Sam and The Fatman? Newman and Vautin. Take the two clowns from the respective Footy Shows, Channel 9 hold them to their contracts and stick them together on some ghastly chatshow-lifestyle time-waster. Both of the 'stars' clearly could not stand each other, neither could carry a show on their own (Vautin had some semblance of hosting talent - Sam had none), neither cared one iota about the opposition code of football (their primary topic of conversation). Most of the show consisted of dragging their Footy Show mates in for a chat and the old jokes, plus whichever celeb was selling their latest weight-loss book.

I think it lasted about 3-and-a-half weeks - about 3 weeks more than it deserved. Made Warnie look like Gold Logie material.

All this talk about Neil Brooks reminds me of "Brooksy's Footy Show" back in WA - and then "Basil's Footy Show" - pretty similar, more 'entertainment' style (had a local band Slim Jim and the Fatts) and from memory a bit of Karl Langdon/Adrian Barich action on there as well ...

Won't be missed.

All this talk about Neil Brooks reminds me of "Brooksy's Footy Show" back in WA - and then "Basil's Footy Show" - pretty similar, more 'entertainment' style (had a local band Slim Jim and the Fatts) and from memory a bit of Karl Langdon/Adrian Barich action on there as well ...

Won't be missed.
There was also a show on channel 10 in Perth on saturday arvos with Tim Gossage and Lachie Rease but I can't remember the name of it.

It was rubbish.

Rex Hunt's footy show on Sunday mornings, after Sportsworld? was great to watch. Unfortunately when 7 lost the rights Rex was unable to show any footage of the games. I remember watching an episode early '02 and they were talking about some massive 70m goal that Rocca had kicked the day before.
So, as they couldn't show any footage of it they instead showed a goal that he kicked the year before that was similar.

It was just super awkward and I don't think the show lasted too long after that.

Did anyone ever see a show called Footy Frenzy. Aired on channel 9, Saturday afternoon, around 1999. It was Wayne Campbell and Shane Crawford sharing a flat and all I can remember of it was Campbell saying they had a mice problem to which Crawf responded that they'd need a couple of cats, before returning with Glenn Kilpatrick and David Mensch. Quality show.

On a side note, my brother who's 10 years older appeared on an episode of AFL squadron.

There was also a show on channel 10 in Perth on saturday arvos with Tim Gossage and Lachie Rease but I can't remember the name of it.

It was rubbish.
the western front I think it's still on isn't it? You still see kids at the footy doing that stupid W thing.

Who could forget the " THE CROWS SHOW " ( Only watched for a perv on NIKKI VISSER :thumbsu: )

Remember that ch7 show and they had a whole bunch of people sitting at a desk watching their own tv's and would update all the scores as they happened.
Pretty sure the Chief Jason Dunstall did the AFL scores.

Won't be missed.

Was going to say Basil's Footy Show.

Any given Sunday was a great show. First time I started appreciating Garry Lyon, really didn't like him too much growing up when was a panelist on the footy show. But I thought Brayshaw and newman's comedic values brought out the best in him. Like someone said above I still have no idea what the show was about but loved it none the less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if its been mentioned but Foxtel had a kids show on Fox 8 called "Screama" I think with Jess Gower and a guy who's name I forget hosting. They had a live audience and a junior team would always be sitting in the crowd.

Anyone remember a show/segment where it was two teenagers hosting? I think it was on Fox Footy in the early 2000s

But who could ever forget the grand final played later that year-Port v Dandenong, Port's Fred Cook KO'd by Dandy's Darryl Harper; the late Eddie Melai (as Dandenong's runner) laying into a couple of Port players; one of Port's trainers in tears of seeing Cook out for the count; Harper king-hitting Port captain-coach Norm Brown. Channel 10's Phil Gibbs must've thought all his Christmases had come at once.
Ahh...the old VFA days.
I was the Brunswick premiership mascot in 1980.

Not forgotten as such but when 10 had the rights, Before The Game was a great hour of fun before the Saturday night match. Tool Of The Week was a bit of fun. IIRC, Mick Molloy was successfully sued by Nicole Cornes for a "joke" he made involving her and Stuart Dew.

The Bounce, hosted by Pete Hellier on Channel Seven. Utterly dreadful show that only lasted a couple of weeks.

I seem to recall Peter Rowsthorn appearing in it which was bizarre.

Last edited:
Not forgotten as such but when 10 had the rights, Before The Game was a great hour of fun before the Saturday night match. Tool Of The Week was a bit of fun. IIRC, Mick Molloy was successfully sued by Nicole Cornes for a "joke" he made involving her and Stuart Dew.
Before the Game was decent. Tool of the week was amusing, as was the banners segment. And of course there was the Bryan Strauchan sketches.

Mick Molloy was successfully sued by Nicole Cornes for a "joke" he made involving her and Stuart Dew.
It has been a bit of an "in" for Sam Newman when Sam Lane gets on her feminist soapbox because she as sitting next to Molloy and didn't reproach. It was an OK show, basically the same writers as behind The Front Bar (Rozenbachs, Calleja), same tone. I remember one sketch where Strawnie and Christie Malthouse did a skit based on the Duck/Kellie Stevens BJ

Last edited:
The Collectors - an Antiques Roadshow style show where a valuer would visit people's places and value their football memorabilia.
Does anyone know more about this? Was it a segment on another show? I'd happy pay to see it, there was an ABC show with a similar name which I hope he doesn't mean.

Does anyone know more about this? Was it a segment on another show? I'd happy pay to see it, there was an ABC show with a similar name which I hope he doesn't mean.
I think it was a standalone show on Fox Footy in its early days and had a collector guy on it called Rick Milne. Was a decent show, from memory.

On a slightly different note, while probably not comprehensive, this is not a bad link for 'forgotten' footy shows:

I think it was a standalone show on Fox Footy in its early days and had a collector guy on it called Rick Milne. Was a decent show, from memory.

On a slightly different note, while probably not comprehensive, this is not a bad link for 'forgotten' footy shows:

The Footy Record page in the 90s and early 2000s on collectibles was usually the first page I turned to while waiting for the game to start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back