List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm confused! Are unvaccinated people no longer a danger to us?

Sorry I forgot. The mastermind himself Joe Biden has declared the pandemic is over. Move along, nothing to see hear.
I think you mean "thank you to all you vaccinated people helping reduce the spread and the hospital loads so the burden of the unvaccinated won't overload them any more."

It's easy to get confused, I understand.

Well that's bloody boring then.
himym-ted-mosby.gif

I think you mean "thank you to all you vaccinated people helping reduce the spread and the hospital loads so the burden of the unvaccinated won't overload them any more."

It's easy to get confused, I understand.
Yeah I'm confused but not deluded. At least that is what the voices in my head keep telling me.:)

Interested to know what this photo was taken! He is currently in the states with a few of the lions boys!
He flew down to Melbourne on Wednesday the 6th of July. Took the pic contracted covid then came back up and spread it during the captains run in the lead up of the Essendon game, causing our season to fall off the rails.
Hang the bastard!

Wish we pushed more to get the Bowes + 7 deal, but sounds like hes going to Geelong.

The pick would've made the rest of the trade period much easier, and Bowes is no spud himself

Wish we pushed more to get the Bowes + 7 deal, but sounds like hes going to Geelong.

The pick would've made the rest of the trade period much easier, and Bowes is no spud himself

$$$$

Sure it would make this year easier, but at the risk of losing established players or the ability to continue to attract players In 2023-4. I think we’d end up having to backend contracts if we went through with it which gets clubs in trouble (which is happening with a few clubs, Gold Coast included, at the moment)

I can't help but feel the McStay situation is a little bit of cap mismanagement. Getting pick 35 for a key forward in his prime feels like a robbery. Considering his salary is only 600k, if he was restricted I feel we probably could have gotten an early second round picks worth of value rather then 35. I guess the pies didn't have a better second round pick, but we could of manufactured some more points perhaps.

Im not extremely disappointed, but just seems a little off. I wonder if they thought Gardiner was a higher flight risk then McStay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but feel the McStay situation is a little bit of cap mismanagement. Getting pick 35 for a key forward in his prime feels like a robbery. Considering his salary is only 600k, if he was restricted I feel we probably could have gotten an early second round picks worth of value rather then 35. I guess the pies didn't have a better second round pick, but we could of manufactured some more points perhaps.

Im not extremely disappointed, but just seems a little off. I wonder if they thought Gardiner was a higher flight risk then McStay.

Remember what pick the Hawks got for Buddy?

For a team that has finished top 4 or near abouts for 4 straight years, plus have the ability to bring in Dunkley and Gunston (along with Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Adams, Fort, McCarthy etc over the last few years), I’d consider we are managing our cap exceptionally well.

For a team that has finished top 4 or near abouts for 4 straight years, plus have the ability to bring in Dunkley and Gunston (along with Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Adams, Fort, McCarthy etc over the last few years), I’d consider we are managing our cap exceptionally well.
I think we have done a good job not to overpay our players and have built a good culture that attracts and retains people.

Doesn't mean we still can't get some things wrong.

It would be unusual for a team to match a restricted free agents offer though, it's really only happened with the bigger name players.

It's not just about the compensation with free agency, it's also that we're now using the money we offered McStay to lure Gunston across. The pick is a bonus.

More a case of utilising the $600k elsewhere to fill an area of greater need (top-end mid - Dunkley).

Gunston coming more than covers what McStay brings as a forward.

I actually don’t think it was to do with $$$. Obviously you can pay maybe another $150k to make it $750k but the harsh reality is that he is not worth that type of money. I wish him all the best but I also fear for him a little bit in that type of pressure cooker that is Vic footy.

I'd heard when Noble come on board he was, let's say "dismayed" at how we were structuring and managing contracts. I'd hope we are still operating under the principles he put in place.

It would be unusual for a team to match a restricted free agents offer though, it's really only happened with the bigger name players.

It's not just about the compensation with free agency, it's also that we're now using the money we offered McStay to lure Gunston across. The pick is a bonus.
Yeah I had a look through some older trades because I felt anecdotally that key position players were more valuable then perceived.

Josh Bruce in 2019
Braydon Preuss in 2020
Ben Brown in 2020

From that pick 35 doesn't really seem that had haha.

I also think it's imperative to move some of the money we have invested in the forward line, into the midfield (eg McStay for Dunkley).
I actually don’t think it was to do with $$$. Obviously you can pay maybe another $150k to make it $750k but the harsh reality is that he is not worth that type of money. I wish him all the best but I also fear for him a little bit in that type of pressure cooker that is Vic footy.
I wasnt suggesting we offer an extra 150k to keep him, more just force a trade but as has been pointed out that's pretty rare.

We have a focus on just getting deals done as a club so that probably factors into all this discussion. It's just such a shame to see our featherless cap these days just full of good player trades ;)

I wish Dan McStay all the best. Always gave his best at Lions and hung around much longer than many others at the time he was drafted. I do fear for him if he has a quiet month - Collingwood lynch mob won't be so forgiving.

We all know what Dan brings - a contest, a goal here or there. Never going to break a game apart. Honest effort every week. If Collingwood fans acknowledge that's what he brings, then he will be ok. But, for the money he got, I feel they will expect 3 goals from him every week and he won''t do that.

I wasnt suggesting we offer an extra 150k to keep him, more just force a trade but as has been pointed out that's pretty rare.
We also couldn't force a trade, as he was an unrestricted free agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back