Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we all were cringing with each miss against the Cats and Isaac deserved the bake in the media as he needed to be better. He was against Richmond irrespective of the end result.

Is that the final against GWS where he kicked 4 goals or so to keep the Swans in the game which they lost by a point?

Don't think Isaac was the only Swans player to underperform in the GF last year. It was a disappointing day for all Swans fans equivalent to the 2014 GF smashing.

I think a few fans may be more indifferent to his and the teams performance in 2023 which has been underwhelming.

Although, I think that Isaac and the team can get back to their best again next season even if this year has been a let down.
Yeah I'm judging him harshly because we need him.

With Sheldrick and Chad out I wonder if they’ll seriously consider reprising Heeney’s role in the Carlton when he spent a lot of time in the midfield opposed to Cripps. This time though the target would be the Bont.
Ineffective on Jack Steele (who was also cooked but not as cooked as Cripps) the week after and Bont is much better than Steele

Ineffective on Jack Steele (who was also cooked but not as cooked as Cripps) the week after and Bont is much better than Steele

Steele had 24 disposals, with 16 of them being uncontested possessions. Heeney actually had more clearances than him. He didn't do as good a job but being called ineffective is a bit harsh. I'm pretty sure Heeney was concussed that game too & missed the following week. We can't just judge Heeney on limited midfield opportunities where he's been pretty good & then average. I'm happy to give him a go when we're already light on mids, especially physical mids.

Steele had 24 disposals, with 16 of them being uncontested possessions. Heeney actually had more clearances than him. He didn't do as good a job but being called ineffective is a bit harsh. I'm pretty sure Heeney was concussed that game too & missed the following week. We can't just judge Heeney on limited midfield opportunities where he's been pretty good & then average. I'm happy to give him a go when we're already light on mids, especially physical mids.

Dogs dont really have a good match up for him in defence so I rether him kick goals

I've been shitting on him all year but I have a good feeling (maybe I'm feeling a bit of euphoria after getting over a 2.5 week covid spell) he will have a very good back end of the year to finish it out.

I don't particularly like AFL360, and Whately and Robbo are both douches, but I'm glad they asked Heeney a few questions about his form. Maybe that'll encourage him to try harder. I often feel swans players are immune from media pressure therefore rest on their laurels.

I love Heeney so much as a player that when he underperforms it really stings. He's just such a likeable player and a great bloke so he deserves to be enjoying his footy and getting the most out of himself, not feeling frustrated and under pressure.

I love Heeney so much as a player that when he underperforms it really stings. He's just such a likeable player and a great bloke so he deserves to be enjoying his footy and getting the most out of himself, not feeling frustrated and under pressure.

Its more i dont understand whats happened to his kicking if he slots those easy opportunities it would look a lot better for him.

He's had the yips all season. At one stage he was kicking around the corner when directly in front. You can see it in his eyes - genuine fear at having to kick a goal. Two set shots directly in front, hitting the point posts either side. That's as bad as it can be.

The defenders defend. They deliver the ball to the mids. The mids deliver the ball to the forwards. Heeney's job is:
1. Take the mark; and
2. Kick the goal.

He cannot do 2. Therefore he should not be in the forward line. (And his failures at 2 affect his confidence at 1).
So, play him up the ground or drop him.
"Up the ground" = where? And, more importantly, who does he replace?
Wings? Campbell and Gulden and Jmac have been brilliant on the wings. I'm not moving them.
Mids? I'm a fan of Parker at half forward but he has been in beast mode recently and will Heeney replace that? Is it robbing Peter to pay Paul? I'm a fan of Gus replacing Parker but that doesn't help Heeney. He can take Papley's mids minutes, but that's not enough to keep him in the team.
The mids are starting to work very well together, so I'm reluctant to change that.

I'd drop him. Have him play VFL. See a psychologist. He was a very straight kick. Get out the video of him kicking goals. Compare the technique and correct the issue. Get Plugger back.
Which idiot said this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion Data says that in the 2nd half of this season, Heeney is having the 2nd most impact on the game amongst general forwards, behind Toby Greene. Interestingly they are saying he's doing most of his good work at ground level, rather than in the air. 2nd (again behind Greene) in winning forward 50 ball. Only been targeted 23 times going inside 50 in the last 7-8 weeks

From 23:25 in this video

I've been pretty critical of him this season. Its appropriate to say that I think his last four weeks have been very good. He still drifts a bit much out of games but when hes good for the quarter or so hes very very good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back