Autopsy After a slow start a swarm of Swans crush Carlton by 52.

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect our midfield would be lauded by all if the criteria for judging midfielders were broadened to include those attributes we have in abundance that give us our edge. I'm talking surging forward to kick goals, surging back in numbers to defend, spreading the field, maintaining our shape, guarding the corridor, breaking lines, pinpoint disposal, breaking tackles, teamwork, creativity, ball security, coming through the corridor at speed, hard overlap running, intercept marks, desperate chases, sticky tackles, one-percenters and generally applying manic pressure whenever we don't have the ball. These qualities are not unique to any individual but describe our midfield as a whole, as parts of a well oiled machine. The truly great midfield groups had hard-working talents and talented role players, all fed and supported by a ruck beast who forms an integral part of that midfield. Grundy is the Panzer supporting our Blitzkrieg

With Cox at our club, is it any coincidence that our classy midfield trio of 2024 bears more than a passing resemblance to the classy Weagles midfield trio of the mid-noughties*. Judd, Cousins and Kerr were pure joy to watch (when not playing us). I know we were 1 all in premierships but we had pure class in Goodes backed up by a Kirk led blue collar midfield. That West Coast trio dominated the Brownlow voting from 2004-2007, stealing votes off each other. Judd won in 2004. Cousins in 2005, with Kerr one vote behind. One, two or all three of them figured highly in the Brownlow votes over quite a few years. Even in 2006, when Goodes won it ahead of Scott West, Judd and Kerr finished third and fourth respectively with Cousins and Cox not far behind . Cox was the dominant ruck of the competition. Their role players were guys like Embley and Fletcher who were pretty good in their own right.

Maybe 2005 should serve as a reminder that even the best midfield can be beaten by a determined enough opposition, though it was bloody close.

*I could have slipped in any number of jokes about players doing Coke (Peruvian Marching powder), but the fate of Cousins and Kerr is a grim reminder of the harsh consequences of drug addiction. It ruined the lives of some players who had been hailed as heroes, and it tore the guts out of a once proud club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The money part - that's what I've been getting wrong!
Every day my mum would give me a big bag of lollies to win friends. I'd finish them by lunchtime. She couldn't understand why I was fat and spotty but still had no friends.

It wasn't so bad. Mum got me a dog to keep me company, even tied a pork chop around my neck so it would play with me.

Every day my mum would give me a big bag of lollies to win friends. I'd finish them by lunchtime. She couldn't understand why I was fat and spotty but still had no friends.

It wasn't so bad. Mum got me a dog to keep me company, even tied a pork chop around my neck so it would play with me.
Poor dog...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back