Preview Finals Week 1 - Carlton v Sydney Swans - A Preview Driven By AI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I called it earlier in the week too, though I am more bullish than yourself on the choice!!

It’s purely the size of McKay that needs Melican.
I think that's my worry though.

If I felt it was because Horse & co just didn't think Fox was good enough and they preferred Melican then I'd think it's a good move. I just feel like we're doing it because of the Curnow/McKay factor. Is it good strategy or is it panicking? Hopefully the former!

Yep I called it earlier in the week too, though I am more bullish than yourself on the choice!!

It’s purely the size of McKay that needs Melican.
I remember when Melican first came into the side, I thought he was going to be the heir to Grundy's position. He was excellent. Since that initial burst, I think injury has really cruelled his career. If he could get a good run, he still could be a very good player.

If I felt it was because Horse & co just didn't think Fox was good enough and they preferred Melican then I'd think it's a good move. I just feel like we're doing it because of the Curnow/McKay factor. Is it good strategy or is it panicking? Hopefully the former!
To be fair, both Fox and Melican are probably in that 16-22 of selection when they're in the team.

That's the right group to choose your omissions from if you're worried about something structurally.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's just pragmatic IMO.

You couldn’t play either Rampe or fox on McKay with his size especially with Melican waiting in the wings.

Fox will be a super sub too.

I think it’s the only strategy to provide enough support for the defence. It’s just horses for courses.

I remember when Melican first came into the side, I thought he was going to be the heir to Grundy's position. He was excellent. Since that initial burst, I think injury has really cruelled his career. If he could get a good run, he still could be a very good player.
Has been really good when playing this year, again that hammy flared up at such an unfortunate time.

Was I seeing things or did I see somewhere that Melican is statistically our best one-on-one defender this year?

I hope Horse doesn't catch wind and bring Melican in over a Fox or something to try and combat Curnow/McKay.

Not saying it would mean Horse & co are panicking, but... it would wreak of panic IMO.

(And I say this as a big Melican fan. It's just too late in the season to be tinkering like that.)
Oof. Nice prediction.

I think Horse caught wind. 😂

Yep. I agree.

Was ripping my hair out watching him the last month.

Just terribly out of form.

A couple of strong ins with Papley and Jmac, and maybe Fox or Stephens the sub.
I'm a big 🦊 fan, but he's been bang ordinary for the most part this year 😞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melican for Fox is a good call imo. McKay is probably the perfect match up for Melican and iirc he played well against Carlton earlier this year. We’ve essentially been carrying an extra mid/small back this year in many games, compared to our set up last year. My only concern is how many weeks it’s been since Melican’s played footy.

ETA: I hope Stephens is the sub.

Must say I was scratching my head when I first saw Melican in for Fox, mainly because it's Melicans first game in a long time.

But of all key forwards left in the finals, McKay would be the perfect match up for Melican. So makes complete sense.

I think the coaches have done their homework and think Vossy's likely to try and stretch our defence with Curnow, McKay and TDK. Forcing Rampe (and at times, Blakey) having to pick up a tall, blunting our run off half back.

I think Melican allows us to get the ball in Blakey's. Lloyds & Florents hands. Expect them to get plenty of the ball between them.

What is going on, you don't drop Fox ffs.

I'm the biggest Longmire supporter there is but even I can't defend this Hindenburg disaster.
Horse does my head in, but in this case he might have a point.As long as he actually uses the sub I will give him a pass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
He’s actually been elite defensively - barely loses his one on ones.

But yes, his disposal has been shithouse.

Wonder if there’s value in him as a defensive forward tbh.
Wicks over Fox in that role. Fox’s foot work really lets him down sometimes. Do not want Fix kicking for goal in a final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back