- Availability: test

David Cuningham (calf)

Orazio Fantasia (illness)

Mitch McGovern (hamstring)
- Availability: one week

Matt Carroll (groin)
- Remains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 30 April)
David CuninghamCalfAvailability: test. (Update: 30 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Orazio FantasiaIllnessAvailability: test. (Update: 30 April)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankBackProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 30 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

Transparency isn't about whether they've lied, it's about not giving the full picture. If they know now he's ****ed for the year, tell us that, we don't pay hundreds of dollars a year to be kept in the dark.

I pay hundreds of $$$$ to support my Club and attend games.

Transparency isn't about whether they've lied, it's about not giving the full picture. If they know now he's ****ed for the year, tell us that, we don't pay hundreds of dollars a year to be kept in the dark.

And is he ****ed for the year?

Just wanted to express my best wishes for DOC.
Such a cruel game sometimes particularly when the same great players (and people) have continued bad luck.
Poor bloke has been through enough and now this.
I am sure he will be fine, has fought much bigger battles of course, but to miss a year of footy after getting your body ripe and ready still would hurt.

One of the better players and characters out there so yep, sux.

Good luck for the year as well and great win over Brissy BTW.
The turning point in that game was the fast handball after a mark by Crippa on the half back wing half way through the 2nd to keep the ball moving. Didn't quite come off but showed the team what was required and the fast ball movement after that was what won the game.

No question about it. There is no if, no guessing, no assumptions here.

It's very much the prevailing rumour at the moment

We know Sam will put himself in the best position to play most of the year. He will return, it’s only a question of when. Maybe that’s in 3 weeks. No one can say for sure, not even the club can at this point. We will see.

Not sure why the club can't update us now regarding Walsh. They clearly know things aren't progressing as hoped. Martin has been listed as 1-2 weeks for the past month.

All we want is some transparency. Not too much to ask.
I get you would like more info, sometimes I would agree with you.

Walsh has a complicated issue that may respond to rest and treatment and may need more. A day or two can be a long time assessing where he is at. Legitimately could be a week, a month or a season given some of the insight we have been fed regarding the injury.

We were diligent with his return last season and he had a stellar finals season. He may have gone too hard in training, he is the type. It is a short step from OK to stiffness, to a niggle, to a setback, to a relapse/reinjury. I am sure Walsh thought the issue was behind him, until it wasn’t. The club has indefinite listed and that is as much as we know, because it is as much as they know.

We have been told no Martin until after the bye, and Weiters will be assessed when necessary for round three.

I agree with the concern that Walsh may be longer than hoped, but it is what it is. Weiters will be close after the bye, not sure I want him chasing Larkey in a likely easy game V North, so have no drama if he is delayed another week. Marchy coming out of long Covid is logically going to be a slow build, particularly when he will have to recondition his historically fragile body. No rush there.

Getting the Durdin boys up to speed is a plus. Hopefully Pitto is approaching fitness that would allow him to play out a senior game. Martin close, but should not and will not be rushed.

Rumours from personal social media accounts & and certain Facebook attention seeking fan accounts don't count.

Best to ignore them.
Too many people on here jumping to conclusions without any facts.
Reality was the club always said he was on a modified program until the bye, if this goes well, he is/was always going to require a month of training with the main group, so best case would be approx R7 return, not playing after the bye, but being in a position to commence full training again.

We know Sam will put himself in the best position to play most of the year. He will return, it’s only a question of when. Maybe that’s in 3 weeks. No one can say for sure, not even the club can at this point. We will see.
I've edited my post for clarity :)

Apparently membership numbers affected by Walsh not featuring in training clips.

"Hey Dad. Our membership packs still haven't arrived!"
"No Veronica. I've put them on hold. Remember, we're not Carlton members, we're Walsh members. And he's not training at the moment".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to express my best wishes for DOC.
Such a cruel game sometimes particularly when the same great players (and people) have continued bad luck.
Poor bloke has been through enough and now this.
I am sure he will be fine, has fought much bigger battles of course, but to miss a year of footy after getting your body ripe and ready still would hurt.

One of the better players and characters out there so yep, sux.

Good luck for the year as well and great win over Brissy BTW.
The turning point in that game was the fast handball after a mark by Crippa on the half back wing half way through the 2nd to keep the ball moving. Didn't quite come off but showed the team what was required and the fast ball movement after that was what won the game.
You interested in our poster exchange program?

Too many people on here jumping to conclusions without any facts.
Reality was the club always said he was on a modified program until the bye, if this goes well, he is/was always going to require a month of training with the main group, so best case would be approx R7 return, not playing after the bye, but being in a position to commence full training again.
I am definitely one jumping to conclusion a bit, and you are spot on in what you say. I must have missed when the club said he was on a modified program until the bye. I always thought it was just about reassessing him in general at the bye.

It's just my gut telling me it's not great based on the comms by the club. I have no facts whatsoever.

Not sure why the club can't update us now regarding Walsh. They clearly know things aren't progressing as hoped. Martin has been listed as 1-2 weeks for the past month.

Are you ever happy?

Maybe it's because he has criteria to meet along the way and at each point they go to next level. Backs are bloody hard to diagnose and can flair at anytime. My guess is they are being bloody conservative. We want Walsh fit and firing come finals

I am definitely one jumping to conclusion a bit, and you are spot on in what you say. I must have missed when the club said he was on a modified program until the bye. I always thought it was just about reassessing him in general at the bye.

It's just my gut telling me it's not great based on the comms by the club. I have no facts whatsoever.

Nobody does except the Club.

It's all speculation and some believe what they read on social media and in here.

I actually agree with the stance the club is taking on dissemination of updates on Walsh (not always my MO).
If anyone has seen the mess of conversation regarding Sean Darcy's prognosis at Freo, you would understand why it's important to remain on message in circumstances where you are not 100pc sure of the timelines for a return to action.

The facts we know --
-Walsh has a back injury
-He didn't play last week
-Club says he will be reassessed after the round 2 bye

I'd add that I'm in the camp that there is an obligation for the club to provide regular and accurate information to its members and supporters on matters which relate to both on- and off-field. However, the communications the club has provided in this instance is not a deviation from that approach, in my opinion.

If they knew that, I think they'd say it. Do you not agree?

They certainly didn't delay saying exactly that about Doc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back