Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really understand his selection at this early stage of the season.

Hasn't played for 2 whole years due to injury basically and was drafted on the back of a shortened VFL season the year prior.

That doesn't look like a blueprint to set him up for success at AFL level when in reality his true value at VFL level is not yet even cemented.

Frampton may not be any world beater but at least he has recent history of competing against AFL calibre players in 16 games of a Premiership winning season.

That feels like a safer bet.

Give the boy a block of games at VFL level and bring in the more experienced Frampton next week.
Dean shows some promise but I think he’ll be better long term if he can build some confidence in the VFL, at least for a few games.

I’m not sure what people expect of Dean at this stage.

A rookie pick, playing his second game after two years of injury, in a defence under enormous pressure, and structurally reeling from the loss of Murphy.

Watching live last night, I really felt for Dean, with Moore and co constantly talking to him, and him clearly needing guidance and support.

He’s been tasked with a big job. If our defence was flying, as was the case for much of last year, then we might not be having this discussion.

But with the current state of our defence - does he show enough to justify more patience as he learns his role? I hope so.

I think we need to cut him some slack, although that slack may cost us. It’s a difficult decision for the coaches.

I don't really understand his selection at this early stage of the season.

Hasn't played for 2 whole years due to injury basically and was drafted on the back of a shortened VFL season the year prior.

That doesn't look like a blueprint to set him up for success at AFL level when in reality his true value at VFL level is not yet even cemented.

Frampton may not be any world beater but at least he has recent history of competing against AFL calibre players in 16 games of a Premiership winning season.

That feels like a safer bet.
I can see why we selected him. With Murphy's issues, Eyre injured and Frampton's limitations as a player it has become really important for us to work out if Charlie Dean can play..

On the back of some nice form in the practice matches the coaches decided to roll the dice with him and see what we've got.
It's does look like he's been thrown to the wolves a bit but I'm sure our coaches would know what kind of kid he is and if he's coping ok with it. I'll be happy if they keep playing him. There is something to work with there.

I think I am going to echo the sentiment of most fans here.

I think he has potential, but I think given his lack of footy in the last few years, he would would greatly benefit from 6-7 weeks of strong VFL footy before being considered for AFL level. I am tempted to keep him in and let him find his feet, but I think he would equally benefit from a string of VFL games + form.

Frampton will provide a short-term improvement to the current output of Dean.

I’m in the keep Dean playing camp.

Hasn’t been helped by the defence missing the third tall the last fortnight in Frampton… a lot of unnecessary pressure placed on both Dean and Moore the last fortnight because of poor team selection

Had 6 marks and 5 intercepts

Had 2 turnovers but otherwise went at 83% efficiency… in other words his other possessions were sound

something to build on.

And the cupboard is fairly bare atm.

Simply bringing Frampton in as a utility to fill gaps as they arise will reduce some pressure on Moore and Dean

Last edited:
We could opt to drop AJ, move Howe forward, and bring in Frampton to play alongside Dean.

I’d probably prefer to give Reef some exposure though after his preseason.

Dean should play the Murphy role until Murphy is ready to play the Murphy role.
I'd have Howe in the Murphy role. I don't mind the look of Dean, but he's not strong enough yet or able to compensate in other ways like Howe can - with his elite timing and leap.

We could opt to drop AJ, move Howe forward, and bring in Frampton to play alongside Dean.

I’d probably prefer to give Reef some exposure though after his preseason.
Yea Reef and Macrae need to be almost permanent ins like McCreery and Ginnivan were two years ago. They have consistent performances behind them in the VFL last year.

I'm happy to give Dean another opportunity in the future but he's been out injured for so long, it's not a bad idea for him to build back up from the VFL again.

I can see why we selected him. With Murphy's issues, Eyre injured and Frampton's limitations as a player it has become really important for us to work out if Charlie Dean can play..

On the back of some nice form in the practice matches the coaches decided to roll the dice with him and see what we've got.
It's does look like he's been thrown to the wolves a bit but I'm sure our coaches would know what kind of kid he is and if he's coping ok with it. I'll be happy if they keep playing him. There is something to work with there.
I wish the coaches applied that logic to Macrae and Reef who have consistently performed in the VFL

I wish the coaches applied that logic to Macrae and Reef who have consistently performed in the VFL
Last year we won the flag so I've got no selection criticisms there. They kept rewarding the players in the team who were getting the job done week after week.
This year we need to be bringing new blood in and get a good look at Dean, McInnes, McRae, Harrison at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure what people expect of Dean at this stage.

A rookie pick, playing his second game after two years of injury, in a defence under enormous pressure, and structurally reeling from the loss of Murphy.

Watching live last night, I really felt for Dean, with Moore and co constantly talking to him, and him clearly needing guidance and support.

He’s been tasked with a big job. If our defence was flying, as was the case for much of last year, then we might not be having this discussion.

But with the current state of our defence - does he show enough to justify more patience as he learns his role? I hope so.

I think we need to cut him some slack, although that slack may cost us. It’s a difficult decision for the coaches.

Last night, the Swans exposed the exploitable weakness in our system that so far teams haven't been good enough to exploit. The defenders roll up to add to the pressure being applied to ball carriers through the midfield in order to cause turnover. But if the opposition are good enough to absorb that pressure through getting enough numbers there, baulking, keeping their arms free in the tackle and flicking it around to find someone free, those defenders who have stayed home inside 50 are stuffed with too much space to defend and blokes streaming inside 50.

Teams will eventually get good enough to handle our tactics and if they are good enough, the only answer is either more pressure through the midfield or a change in tactics.

Dean looks smart, skilled and composed, but not yet strong enough. Good prospect.

Last edited:
Last night, the Swans exposed the exploitable weakness in our system that so far teams haven't been good enough to exploit. The defenders roll up to add to the pressure being applied to ball carriers through the midfield in order to cause turnover. But if the opposition are good enough to absorb that pressure through getting enough numbers there, baulking, keeping their arms free in the tackle and flicking it around to find someone free, those defenders who have stayed home inside 50 are stuffed with too much space to defend and blokes streaming inside 50.

Teams will eventually get good enough to handle our tactics and if they are the only answer is either more pressure in the midfield or a change in tactics.

Dean looks smart, skilled and composed, but not yet strong enough.

Thanks SR for articulating what I can’t.

I found the calls to drop Dean, without any acknowledgement of the situation he is in, to be frustrating.

Teams will eventually get good enough to handle our tactics and if they are the only answer is either more pressure through the midfield or a change in tactics.

Dean looks smart, skilled and composed, but not yet strong enough. Good prospect.
It's ridiculous hearing supporters blame a couple of new players for our past 2 performances. It's clearly deeper than a couple of players new to the side.

It's ridiculous hearing supporters blame a couple of new players for our past 2 performances. It's clearly deeper than a couple of players new to the side.
I'm expecting the Sydney teams to be the pace setters this year. Well coached with pace and skill to burn and currently no tall holes like we have. As Fly would say we've got work to do to meet their early season standard.

He’s going okay considering the ball has been coming in at a rate of knots with the defence completely at sea. (Sorry for the sailing references)

My biggest issue with him is he gets caught worried about the opponents body/positioning in a marking contest and not where the ball/drop is.

Heeney completely schooled him because he was focussed on the where the ball was going to drop.

They need to keep playing him.

Dean's one on one defending is diabolical. Plays like someone who hasn't played competitive footy in years. Not his fault the coaches picked him but the early experiment has failed , bring back Frampton and let Dean get match practice in the VFL

Dean's one on one defending is diabolical. Plays like someone who hasn't played competitive footy in years. Not his fault the coaches picked him but the early experiment has failed , bring back Frampton and let Dean get match practice in the VFL

Got smashed in contests against Sydney, but getting smashed comes down to about 5 contests. If that's reflective of where he's at, then drop him and bring him back when he's improved his contested game.

If his contested work has been holding up throughout preseason, I'd stick with him for now. One issue is that holding up in a contest in training against someone like AJ is very different to holding up against Isaac Heeney or Jesse Hogan. Ideally, I'd have him training against Checkers.

Do you wish you could go back to 1986?

He looks a neat ball in hand defender, but hasn’t looked to be able to take some interception marks much or actually defend one on one yet. Needs to show one of those two aspects or it’s uphill

I’ve seen enough to believe he can play at AFL level. Shows at least as much as Murphy did at the same stage, and probably more.
Just needs 20-40 games under his belt.

His development needs just contrast to the rest of the 22 who are premiership players.

Charlie will be fine, as long as his feet stay injury free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back