Autopsy VFL Elimination Final v Williamstown. Saturday Sept 2nd. 3pm @DSV Stadium. Charlie Dean's return!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of big outs but my quick google suggests that’s a good outcome for reef considering it was mentioned to be a potential collarbone.
Agreed. Hopefully not a long setback for Reef
And no big worries if the VFL lose this week. They have gone the extra few weeks to keep the fringe guys match fit for long enough

So will the club seek to play the likes of Ginnivan, Cox, Frampton, etc in this game given they've spent decent stints in the twos this year?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outside of Macrae who went on to play in the VFL I can't imagine we'd be prioritising our chances against Williamstown ahead of risking injury to the other 22 who featured against Essendon.

Even someone like Frampton who is most likely to make way could yet be required should a training injury occur or we decide to use him ahead of Cox/Cameron as our 2nd ruck option.

I'd assume the team will be the same as last weeks without Reef & Carmy
Fin plays a full game as I doubt he'll be playing AFL. No other players against Essendon should be considered IMO

We're lucky to have him.

“I took a moment this week to reflect upon it and I’m really, really proud of it,” Tardrew said.

“It has been a hell of a journey, but I’m extremely proud of it.

“Jack Hellier is the only one to have done it since we’ve been the Collingwood VFL side and seeing him do it was an amazing achievement.

“I really looked up to him and really followed him the way he went about it and it inspired me to want to do something similar.

Tardrew’s durability is also a feature, having missed only eight of a possible 103 matches since his debut season at Victoria Park was ruined by a knee injury in 2016.

His ability to back up each week is something he credits to the hard work of club physio Ben Shipperd and his team.

“I haven’t had the biggest highlights. With my athletic ability and my talent it’s about having to show and give it my all every week,” he said.

“I’d like to think I’m respected around the club and the league for just playing the role rather than being the match winner.

“In juniors I was all midfield but I had to develop my game.

“When there’s AFL-listed players taking those spots for their development you’ve got to be able to play multiple roles, so most weeks I’ve been swung around in different positions.

“I just said ‘it doesn’t matter where you chuck me, I just want to win and I’ll put everything I can into helping us get over the line.’”

Tardrew briefly considered returning to his home club Sandhurst in the Bendigo league this year, given he now lives and works in the area.

However, his love for the VFL and the Magpies means the school teacher make the trip down the Calder up to four times a week.

“It can take its toll but I love the VFL enough and I love Collingwood enough to continue to do it,” he said.

“I just wanted to be closer to family. My partner Millie lives there and I also have employment there so it ticked all the boxes, just not with the footy.

“The temptation (to play for Sandhurst) was there. I’ve obviously got a lot of connections with the club, they’re great people and I love spending time there, but I still feel like I’ve got a bit of football to give at VFL level so I didn’t want to hang them up right away.”

And it has proven the correct decision, with Collingwood returning to the finals in sparkling form as it attempts to break one of the competition’s longest droughts.

The Magpies haven’t beaten former alignment partner Williamstown at DSV Stadium since 1896, losing all six trips to Point Gellibrand in the modern era.

But they are coming off wins of 74 points (Geelong Cats), 50 (Southport Sharks) and 75 (Richmond) to get to this point and will arrive in peak confidence.

“The game plan, the club and the environment are thriving at the moment so it’s great to be a part of it,” Tardrew said.

“We’re very young but we’ve got lots of talent and you can see that on display in the AFL.

“There’s a lot of incentive to try to get one back on them (Williamstown) but they’re a very good team and well respected around the league. They’re going to be tough to beat but if we bring our game anything is possible.”

HOLY. WTF. CHARLIE DEAN

WILLIAMSTOWN vs COLLINGWOOD​

First Elimination Final
Saturday 2 September, 3:00pm, DSV Stadium
Head-to-head: Williamstown 18-11. At DSV Stadium: Williamstown 9-5. Streak: Williamstown 1

WILLIAMSTOWN
B:
J. Greiser (18), F. O'Dwyer (17), M. Hore (3)
HB: M. Philpot (19), O. McDonald (8), C. Polson (5)
C: N. Gadsby (13), T. Triffett (23), J. Pickess (22)
HF: M. Cox (21), J. Ottavi (20), J. Toner (14)
F: M. Ktona (33), C. Ellison (24), D. Andrews (7)
R: T. Downie (11), H. Jones (12), C. Preston (15)
INT: N. Ebinger (26), J. McHale (32), J. Noonan (31), N. Colenso (35), L. Conway (34)
EMG: M. Gaul (30), J. Lipscombe (6), Z. Banch (47), Z. Pritchard (46), W. Mayhood (28)

IN: J. Pickess, C. Polson, J. Noonan
OUT: B. Jolley (calf), W. Jury (concussion), M. Gaul

COLLINGWOOD
B:
W. Kelly (20), C. Dean (43), T. Ruscoe (21)
HB: A. Draper (19), N. Jetta (54), T. Bianco (8)
C: C. Lane (48), E. Allan (16), C. Murley (27)
HF: J. Richards (29), H. Harrison (36), T. Wilson (12)
F: N. Kreuger (15), S. Glover (50), A. Johnson (40)
R: A. Begg (39), F. Macrae (18), C. Hustwaite (55)
INT: C. Mulvogue (68), O. Steene (44), L. Tardrew (51), T. Wilson (56), J. Longmire (57)*
EMG: Y. Ashwin (70), L. Purcell (65), B. Silvagni (60), J. Tomasiello (61), J. Raines (64), V.Blackmore-Moore (49), E. Delany (63), J. Booth (53)

IN: C. Dean, J. Longmire, C. Mulvogue
OUT: J. Carmichael (concussion), R. McInnes (collarbone), Y. Ashwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back