VFL VFL Round 7 v Williamstown - Sunday May 7th. 12pm @ Williamstown FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae was at the bottom of lots of packs and made an very impressive number of tackles but his disposals have very little impact.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Either of Reef or Carmy would be a downgrade on Elliott at this stage of their young careers.

When you kick the ball as hard as Carmy does, your mis-kicks are magnified. But his kicking is a real weapon - it has length and penetration than most others lack.

Reef lacks forward instincts and doesn’t win enough of the ball in the midfield. To survive, I think he needs to retrain as a defender.

Reef did well as the Sub early on - so I can’t see how he lacks fwd instinct.
So if Elliot goes out - who takes his place in the fwd line if not Reef, because it won’t be Carmichael.

Where’s Sam Fowler playing? Missing him this year
Dromana (which appears to be his old club), following a stint in the NTFL: Public Profile | PlayHQ
1683436999669.png
He's no longer on our list, and is playing full-time with Dromana. I thought he had a bit going for him as well, but lack of size probably meant AFL recruiters were never that keen, so it seems reasonable he's headed home after having a crack at making it.

I think Carmy’s a like-for-like replacement for Elliott, if we decide to rest him.

Not watched the game but I didn’t realise Carmichael was a player with aerial threat and forward craft who would be reliable to kick goals every game. That’s great if he’s added all that to his game

Wouldn’t walk into any best 22 at a premiership contender so unless he wants a trade to a basketcase , he would be wise to stay.

There were people saying the same of Ollie Henry last year. Wouldn’t break into the Cats strong F50 group, would play VFL all year. Hasn’t missed a game yet has he?

Not watched the game but I didn’t realise Carmichael was a player with aerial threat and forward craft who would be reliable to kick goals every game. That’s great if he’s added all that to his game

If you factor in he's been sub a lot in his short career, Carmichael averages around 1 goal per game at AFL level. In 2023, Elliot is averaging less than that.

There were people saying the same of Ollie Henry last year. Wouldn’t break into the Cats strong F50 group, would play VFL all year. Hasn’t missed a game yet has he?
He’s being kissed on the ring by the injuries at Geel.
Do yourself a favour and look at that list and tell me how Henry is best 22.
Guthrie, Bowes, Menagola, Tuohy, Stengle and Stanley all injured, get a game ahead of Henry

Agree

Should be playing
Think requests a trade at years end
Should be playing ahead of who? I hate when people say this s**t as if spots are just unlimited at senior level. He’s been in the top 5 consistently for a middle of the table VFL team for an AFL team that has a brilliant midfield.
He hasn’t had any performances that have demanded selection and he doesn’t really have any tools that demand selection. He had his opportunity to stamp his mark last year and yet we ended up going up recruiting Mitchell because we knew he wasn’t at the grade yet.

Long term I actually think he’ll make it, but I seriously doubt he is disillusioned and thinking he should be playing seniors, because again, who should he be ahead of in our senior midfield lineup?

He’s Cal Brown v2 at the moment, he definitely has a brighter future than CB, but people acting like he should be on the verge of walking out are seriously misguided. He has less potential and is showing less than Sier was when people were complaining endlessly about his treatment, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t saying that.
I stand by by comment.

With whe, Sidebottom Adams and Pendlebury nearer the ends of their careers than the start and a few others not exactly spring chickens ( mitchell crisp etc) , macrae woulld be mad to leave to go to a bottom eight side if his motivation was purely “ opportunity”. At the good clubs his short term prospects would likely be equally limited.

His solution is time.

Macrae - 26 disposals, 11 tackles, 8 clearances
Ryan - 23 disposals. 4 marks
Bianco - 21 disposals. 5 tackles. 6 marks
Draper (first game for the year playing mid) - 20 disposals. 4 clearances. 4 tackles. 1 goal
Carmichael - 20 disposals. 3 clearances. 1 goal
Ruscoe - 16 disposals. 3 tackles
Murley - 13 disposals. 5 tackles 4 clearances
Allan - 12 disposals. 2 tackles
Reef (playing mid/forward) 11 disposals. 3 clearances 6 tackles. 2 goals
Begg - 11 disposals. 7 clearances. 22 hitouts. 5 tackles.
Harrison - 10 disposals. 11 tackles. 2 clearances
Wilson - 9 disposals. 4 marks
Kelly (play 1 half) 6 touches. 2 tackles. 2 marks

collingwood.jpg

State league affiliate: Collingwood (VFL)
This weekend: Williamstown v Collingwood at DSV Stadium, Sunday May 7, 12pm AEST

Finlay Macrae continued to push for a senior spot with a busy performance in Collingwood's 24-point loss to Williamstown on Sunday.

Macrae gathered 26 disposals and had 11 tackles and eight clearances.

Trent Bianco (21 disposals) and Josh Carmichael (20, a goal and three clearances) also played well.
Aiden Begg was a strong contributor with 11 touches, a goal, 22 hitouts and seven clearances.

Jakob Ryan (23 disposals) and Arlo Draper (20 and a goal) were also busy.

Reef McInnes kicked two majors for the Magpies, Trey Ruscoe had 16 disposals and Ed Allan had 12.

I’m detecting an ever-so-slight hint of sarcasm….

Macrae - 26 disposals, 11 tackles, 8 clearances
Ryan - 23 disposals. 4 marks
Bianco - 21 disposals. 5 tackles. 6 marks
Draper (first game for the year playing mid) - 20 disposals. 4 clearances. 4 tackles. 1 goal
Carmichael - 20 disposals. 3 clearances. 1 goal
Ruscoe - 16 disposals. 3 tackles
Murley - 13 disposals. 5 tackles 4 clearances
Allan - 12 disposals. 2 tackles
Reef (playing mid/forward) 11 disposals. 3 clearances 6 tackles. 2 goals
Begg - 11 disposals. 7 clearances. 22 hitouts. 5 tackles.
Harrison - 10 disposals. 11 tackles. 2 clearances
Wilson - 9 disposals. 4 marks
Kelly (play 1 half) 6 touches. 2 tackles. 2 marks

Did Steene play today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back