Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max 2.4 and burned collard twice in the last wasn’t great.

Personally higgins is absolutely nowhere near best 22 anymore, he’s a liability at this point.

The rest was pretty good imo. Geelong in Geelong is always tough and we played really poorly most of the first half but stayed in the contest.

Henry and Wilson look like they’ll improve us a lot. I’m not sold on Bonar, might be harsh but he’s a poor man’s Sinclair and looks lost defensively.

Was at the game tonight with the Saints faithful. I’ll reserve my full judgement of the game until I watch the replay tomorrow. However I doubt my view on some of the umpiring decisions will change.

But I have to give 3 votes to the vocal Saints faithful who were up and about all night.

Special mention to the bloke behind me hurling that much abuse at the umps it triggered the ‘Loud Environment’ warning on my Apple Watch… 😂

Personally higgins is absolutely nowhere near best 22 anymore, he’s a liability at this point.

The rest was pretty good imo. Geelong in Geelong is always tough and we played really poorly most of the first half but stayed in the contest.

Henry and Wilson look like they’ll improve us a lot. I’m not sold on Bonar, might be harsh but he’s a poor man’s Sinclair and looks lost defensively.
Yep Higgins is a massive liability. Not sure how we could play him again barring some kind of miracle turn around in form.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at the game tonight with the Saints faithful. I’ll reserve my full judgement of the game until I watch the replay tomorrow. However I doubt my view on some of the umpiring decisions will change.

But I have to give 3 votes to the vocal Saints faithful who were up and about all night.

Special mention to the bloke behind me hurling that much abuse at the umps it triggered the ‘Loud Environment’ warning on my Apple Watch…
Potentially could have been me. My hatred for that footy club cannot be measured.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Said during the pre season Members will keep Sharman and Cammers out of the side most of the season if he returns to his best. Mostly because Members is an absolute gun forward and he proved that tonight, not so much because of the goals but he's just so good up the ground also,him and Wood are similar like that.

I also expect it will be hard for Coops and Cammers once Hayes gets back in because of Structure, he is the type of player we desperately need in the side, a strong bodied mobile forward/Ruck.

Unfortunately for Coops and Sharman they are surplus to needs if Members and Hayes are fit and in form, and Coops is showing he really only can play a very specific role in the forward line which Unfortunately he's got players in front of him at selection in that area of the ground. And Cammers will need a lot more time at Sandy as he's still very raw.

But they have time on their side.

Totally agree re Higgins. There was one stretch where he badly lost two or three contests in a row as we were trying to bring it out of defensive half. All he needed to do was even the contest (or at least provide some resistance), yet his opponent got to the ball first and ran off him easily every time.

I’m not sure what he adds over others on our list anymore when he also cannot kick a set shot to save himself.

Totally agree re Higgins. There was one stretch where he badly lost two or three contests in a row as we were trying to bring it out of defensive half. All he needed to do was even the contest (or at least provide some resistance), yet his opponent got to the ball first and ran off him easily every time.

I’m not sure what he adds over others on our list anymore when he also cannot kick a set shot to save himself.
Can’t kick a snap anymore either. He might be the worst overall kick in the afl, it’s horrible to watch

I have never seen it with Higgins.
He is a liability as a pressure forward, simply not quick or fit enough. At the very minimum butler will give you that.
So that must mean he is a dead eye crafty small forward, well no, he is quite the opposite. He sprays so many chances, and ruins our momentum.
So what is his actual role in the team?
As soon as butts is fit to play; he has to come in for Higgins. Pump some games into collard, Wilson and Garcia as the other small forwards, because unfortunately Higgins just ain’t it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a midfield change up.
Steele Sinclair and Owens need to be the main mids with Henry and others switching in.
With nas and bonner in the back we can afford to have sincs in there and with kind and membrey in ripping nick, owens can do what he does best. CONTESTED FOOTY.

We are going to struggle with Steele crouch and Ross being our go to guys when we have better options available.
Crouch is underdone and Ross isn’t a star.
Coops has to stay forward. Pou should be majority forward.

Not sure what the go is with Higgins…

I am not seeing the doom and gloom on the midfield like others are.

Our biggest issue is the ability to move the ball out of D50 to I50 in a meaningful way. To win the ball at ground level and get the footy to a player who can be damaging. So often it's a sky bomb under tackling pressure, or a long kick down the line.

Understand the few snap reactions but I’m more half glass full than half glass empty after that.

We’re definitely on the right path, unfortunately Cats away is no easy task but we kept ourselves in the contest for majority of the match.

Loved Henry, his skills are sublime. Wilson had a few moments he wouldn’t want to watch back but a really impressive debut with a few goals which showed the threat he will be.

Completely agree about getting a touch up in the midfield, seriously lacked pace but we’ll be better for the run especially seeing how good Henry was in the contest.

King I thought was really good, unfortunately was sucked up the ground due to the way the game was being played. He had 7 inside 50’s compared to Cameron and Hawkins combining for 2. Three of his behinds were from low percentage situations.

Personally can’t see us beating the Pies at the G but we are too good to lose to the Bombers I hope.

This will be unpopular, but we missed Doogs.
Cordy very meh for me.

Inside 50 kicks have improved, but those kicks out of our defensive 50, awful.

And on a positive note, really good game by Timmy. Happy he’s back.
Completely disagree
Our defence was not the issue. Howard would have made 0 difference and Cordy was reasonable considering how s#%tfull our midfield is.
WTF were our coaches thinking with a midfield of Steele, Crouch and Ross.
Crouch was pathetic. If he’s injured then the selection panel failed miserably.

He is a liability as a pressure forward, simply not quick or fit enough. At the very minimum butler will give you that.
So that must mean he is a dead eye crafty small forward, well no, he is quite the opposite. He sprays so many chances, and ruins our momentum.
As soon as butts is fit to play; he has to come in for Higgins. Pump some games into collard, Wilson and Garcia as the other small forwards, because unfortunately Higgins just ain’t it.
Some good points. What most likely will happen is Butler and Higgins will automatically be selected each week for forward pressure. Collard probably needs more VFL exposure to develop.

It’s a cardinal sin to miss easy set shots as a small forward.

Thought we took a long time to get going but finally got our s**t together in the last quarter. Except for about 5 mins where they piled on 2 quick goals . Max owes collard an apology. Burnt him 3 times in the last q . The first one collard would’ve most likely kicked a goal and put us in front . The last one resulted in a goal but the easier option would’ve been handballing to collard on the run for an easy goal .
I know king wants to be the man but it’s a bloody team game.

Higgins seemed to be a dead eye dick small forward at Richmond and then we recruited him and he started spraying them.

He's a poor man's Milney who wasn't great with defensive pressure either but he took his goal chances and earned his keep.

I remember in his draft year there was hopes he could play midfield and be the next Dustin Martin. SuperCoach pig in juniors I believe

Win some. Lose some.

Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC

Completely disagree
Our defence was not the issue. Howard would have made 0 difference and Cordy was reasonable considering how s#%tfull our midfield is.
WTF were our coaches thinking with a midfield of Steele, Crouch and Ross.
Crouch was pathetic. If he’s injured then the selection panel failed miserably.
I'm solidly in the Howard over Cordy camp, but I agree with you that they would have offered the same outcome. In my opinion except for one contest late in the game, and I think one kick straight to the opposition, Cordy played very well.

This was effectively Crouch's practice match. He will want to hope he can improve significantly next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back