Player Watch #22 Blake Howes

Remove this Banner Ad

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Welcome to the MFC, Blake Howes.

Blake is a wing/half forward selected at pick 39 in the 2021 draft.
Regarded as a slider, he will likely be competing for a spot in the 22 against the likes of Charlie Spargo and Alex Neal-Bullen.

Now Blake, if you think you’re going to just stroll in and take Spargo’s spot because he’s bite-sized and you’re 190 whatever… Think Again! Spargs is a MFC legend and you better bow yo head when you talk to Spargo or you might get buried son!!

As for ANB. Dude is an extraordinarily good-looking man and his mum is our most powerful good-luck charm. Alex took a long time to reach his current man-god status and no doubt worked his glorious man-buns to the extreme in the process. I can offer you no better example to follow.

I wish you all the best Blake.

Last edited:

Regarded as a slider, he will likely be competing for a spot in the 22 against the likes of Charlie Spargo and Alex Neal-Bullen.

Now Blake, if you think you’re going to just stroll in and take Spargo’s spot because he’s bite-sized and you’re 190 whatever… Think Again! Spargs is a MFC legend and you better bow yo head when you talk to Spargo or you might get buried son!!

As for ANB. Dude is an extraordinarily good-looking man and his mum is our most powerful good-luck charm. Alex took a long time to reach his current man-god status and no doubt worked his glorious man-buns to the extreme in the process. I can offer you no better example to follow.

In all seriousness a tall Charlie Spargo would wreak devastation upon the earth.

A Charlie Spargo-sized Charlie Spargo will play 250 games and win four flags for the MFC

Good to see some positive banter, good luck Blake

Yeah, fair to say he's outperforming the expectations most of us would have had.

Will be all the more important pending the May and Lever injuries.

Been a fan a long time, but didn't expect him to be so good in the backline once they decided to try him there. Still think he can offer us an option on the wing in the future if needed. Rapt for him though, has had a frustrating run.

Some players just look better at the top level. This kid looks like he's one of those guys. Maybe it's the players around him giving him the confidence? Who cares, he's doing much better than anyone anticipated so far. Next few weeks potentially without May and Lever will be his sink or swim moment against some quality forwardlines. Definitely the McVee of 2024 so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much time did he spend playing in defence at Casey? Looking a good early call to get him off the wing.

2022 he played a bit of everything including wing and forward. 2023 mostly defence, but more as a rebounding loose man. Then this offseason they really set him to be a bit more defensive, similar to how Hibberd and McVee play, was the '3rd tall' in a bunch of the summer match sims.

Turns 21 this year so..... Yes?
He won't win it but definitely deserves a nomination soon. I'm surprised by his height too. You wouldn't think he's bigger than May looking at him.

He won't win it but definitely deserves a nomination soon. I'm surprised by his height too. You wouldn't think he's bigger than May looking at him.
Kinda wonder what the plan is with him, bulk him up a little so he can cover keys a bit more or keep him lean so he can mismatch smaller blokes.

Kinda wonder what the plan is with him, bulk him up a little so he can cover keys a bit more or keep him lean so he can mismatch smaller blokes.
The three tall back structure works so well for us and with Petty moving forward and possibly leaving the club May's age is a concern. If we can turn him into a genuine key defender I'd say our need is there.

The three tall back structure works so well for us and with Petty moving forward and possibly leaving the club May's age is a concern. If we can turn him into a genuine key defender I'd say our need is there.
Yeah I just wonder if with his mobility and ball handling at that height whether he's more useful as a Tom Stewart style than a May style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back