Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst one I've seen was over the weekend, might have been Cooney.

Can't find a quote but he said something along the lines of this:

"They've got such a strong defence behind the ball. Stewart obviously, De Koning is a great young player, Henry is back and is a star.

The forward line with those two big guys up there, and the smalls with Miers, Stengle, Close & now Dempsey.

Holmes will run through the midfield, Bruhn will run through the midfield, Clark now as another young player.

It seems like Geelong won't be going down for a while"

What s**ts me is WE KNEW THAT ALREADY. This isn't new information.

Every living Geelong supporter could have told you all of that at any point over the off-season...you just didn't listen.

It's the same on SEN last week. Kane, Gerard, & Hodgey where discussing how good our young talent is

Mentioned Dempsey, Clark, Holmes, Bruhn, Bowes, even Conway & Knevitt.

...Again..if you'd actually bothered to do any research you would have known this...but you didn't.

I know it's not that big of a deal..but all of these pundits are getting paid to do this. It isn't charity, they are paid for their opinions, and so called 'analysis'.

To get it so wrong so consistently would get you the lemon & sass in any other industry...but in this one, we just allow the same drivel for 15 years....and then they wonder why Geelong supporters call them out on their BS.

They're all biased and just hoping we stay out of contention.

Also, Geelong doing well doesn't sell papers.

They're all biased and just hoping we stay out of contention.

Also, Geelong doing well doesn't sell papers.
I know, they hate it so much.

Has anyone watched First Crack on Fox over the last couple weeks?

Montagna has been glowing in his praise of the Cats...while Kingy literally fumbles with the paperwork and pens while staring blankly down at his desk. It's really quite amusing viewing.

I've just never understood the hatred in sport for greatness tbh.

In leagues across the globe, we allow players to play with assault charges, harrassment...even murder in some cases and other horrible acts...yet we seem to hate the successful, well run clubs or players more than anybody like that.

It's never made sense to me. If the club and/or player in questions only 'flaw' is that they are just better than everybody else at what they do...then what's wrong with that?

Guys like Dangerfield, Selwood, & Hawkins have been some of the most hated players in the competition for over a decade....all because they're just really good at football.

They haven't committed any crimes. They haven't snubbed their noses at any of their opponents.

They've actually shown to be upstanding members of their community and take pride in putting their family before anything else.

And yet, because they're really good at football, and play for the best club of the 21st century...they are some of the most despised.

I imagine they take great pride in it, as should we as supporters. If you're hated in this world and you haven't done anything wrong, it usually means you're doing a lot right.

Montagna has been glowing in his praise of the Cats...while Kingy literally fumbles with the paperwork and pens while staring blankly down at his desk. It's really quite amusing viewing.

In leagues across the globe, we allow players to play with assault charges, harrassment...even murder in some cases and other horrible acts...yet we seem to hate the successful, well run clubs or players more than anybody like that.

It's never made sense to me. If the club and/or player in questions only 'flaw' is that they are just better than everybody else at what they do...then what's wrong with that?

Guys like Dangerfield, Selwood, & Hawkins have been some of the most hated players in the competition for over a decade....all because they're just really good at football.

They haven't committed any crimes. They haven't snubbed their noses at any of their opponents.

They've actually shown to be upstanding members of their community and take pride in putting their family before anything else.

And yet, because they're really good at football, and play for the best club of the 21st century...they are some of the most despised.

I imagine they take great pride in it, as should we as supporters. If you're hated in this world and you haven't done anything wrong, it usually means you're doing a lot right.
Australia for some reason has tall poppy syndrome in which once someone or something becomes to successful or popular we start hating it and i have never understood it

I wonder if Kingy thinks he's damned if he does praise the Cats (because that's old news or not something that makes him look like the self-styled "data whisperer" he likes to present) and damned if he doesn't (because we keep turning up) so better just to say less and hope we go away?

Anyway, onto the game. Conway to make his 2024 debut with managed minutes if there's any niggle to Stanley, and then maybe both to play against Dogs to try and work English into the ground? Easy to say, hard to say who would come out in that case.

Hopefully and the Danger rumours are just that, but if we can't beat these Hawks without him, we're not as far along the transition as we would like.

Australia for some reason has tall poppy syndrome in which once someone or something becomes to successful or popular we start hating it and i have never understood it
That's it If you have ever played the game you quickly realize if you are getting booed by oppositions supporters you're going better than alright.

I wonder if Kingy thinks he's damned if he does praise the Cats (because that's old news or not something that makes him look like the self-styled "data whisperer" he likes to present) and damned if he doesn't (because we keep turning up) so better just to say less and hope we go away?

Anyway, onto the game. Conway to make his 2024 debut with managed minutes if there's any niggle to Stanley, and then maybe both to play against Dogs to try and work English into the ground? Easy to say, hard to say who would come out in that case.

Hopefully and the Danger rumours are just that, but if we can't beat these Hawks without him, we're not as far along the transition as we would like.
I'd say Danger misses regardless of the severity. We won't risk him with his history now.

Likewise Stanley, and if the rumours of a broken hand are true, it makes the whole thing academic.

In: Bruhn, Conway, Duncan, Atkins, Bowes

Out: Dangerfield, Stanley, Knevitt, Mullin, Parfitt

Reckon Mannagh goes back to the sub, and we get Bowes & Bruhn into the midfield to help fill the Danger sized hole.

I know they have played together plenty of times, but can Atkins and Parfitt play in the same side these days? Same type of player, i.e. tackling, inside midfielder, not a lot of speed. Taking midfield rotations away from more dynamic players.
Although, since we seem to be very cautious, I doubt Atkins will play.

Outs - Dangerfield (inj), Stanley (inj), Knevitt, Mullin

Ins - Bruhn, Conway, Duncan, Bowes

B: O'Connor, De Koning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, J.Henry, Duncan
C: Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey
HF: Close, Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, O.Henry

Foll: Conway, Bowes, Clark

Int: Blicavs, Kolo, Parfitt, Mannagh

Sub: Tuohy

We've copped an absolute hammering injury wise and could already be at the tipping point.

I can see why you play Mullin and yet I'd much prefer to see O'Sullivan get a gig.

In:
Duncan
Bowes
Bruhn
Conway
Atkins

Out:
Dangerfield
Stanley
Mullin
Knevitt
Parfitt

It's the kind of game we see a debutant. Big stage, not necessarily big opposition.

I'm going to take a punt at Mitch Hardie.

So Dangerfield and Stanley the outs.
Ins Conway and Hardie.

Duncan parental leave. Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes - give them another week to recover from niggles.

I like this, I'm happy to go with a younger squad against a rebuilding Hawks.
Gotta let the older blokes rest, it's time the youngsters all stand up.

It's the kind of game we see a debutant. Big stage, not necessarily big opposition.

Ins Conway and Hardie.

Duncan parental leave. Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes - give them another week to recover from niggles.

Parental leave?

Is this a joke?

Ins Conway and Hardie.

If i am given the choice between giving Duncan an extra week to be a dad and playing Hardie or Playing Duncan i am choosing Duncan playing every day of the week.

No disrespect to Hardie but Duncan is simply better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ins Conway and Hardie.

I see what you are trying to do there but for me it's play the strongest side possible and bank the 4 points on offer against the Hawks we have only played 2 games no one should be spelled and let the Dogs game take its course the week after again best side available.

Ins Conway and Hardie.

Hate the idea of leaving bruhn, Atkins and Bowes out just for the sake of it. If they’re fit play them. No need to manage a niggle if they’re good enough to play. We shouldn’t be taking the hawks lightly no matter how bad they looked, going into the season 3-0 with 2 winnable games after is huge

Hate the idea of leaving bruhn, Atkins and Bowes out just for the sake of it. If they’re fit play them. No need to manage a niggle if they’re good enough to play. We shouldn’t be taking the hawks lightly no matter how bad they looked, going into the season 3-0 with 2 winnable games after is huge

Yeah there's no way we're leaving a bunch of first choice mids out when Guthrie and Danger are likely already out. Bowes maybe comes in as sub if we want to be cautious about his calf but Duncan, Atkins and Bruhn all come straight back if fit.

I'd say Danger misses regardless of the severity. We won't risk him with his history now.

Likewise Stanley, and if the rumours of a broken hand are true, it makes the whole thing academic.

In: Bruhn, Conway, Duncan, Atkins, Bowes

Out: Dangerfield, Stanley, Knevitt, Mullin, Parfitt

Reckon Mannagh goes back to the sub, and we get Bowes & Bruhn into the midfield to help fill the Danger sized hole.

Yeah, fair call with Danger.

The way Bowes played those practice games, I was excited to see him in the real thing - but it's been almost a month and who knows if they'll risk him straight back in.

Bruhn, Atkins, and Duncan are all handy ins and looking forward to Conway playing in his first "big" game (well, big occasion if not the opposition).

I like this, I'm happy to go with a younger squad against a rebuilding Hawks.
Gotta let the older blokes rest, it's time the youngsters all stand up.

Not disrespecting the opposition but this is a perfect game to use almost full list availability considering we have a long season in front of us.
Our depth can be a real strength for us this season if we use it right and in particular give our promising youth exposure over the course of the season. :thumbsu:

No. He has a newborn baby right?

Duncan flew home from Adelaide on Friday when he found out Demi was in labour - baby Parker was born Friday

Our next match is Easter Monday, 10 days after Parker's arrival - if all is going well with bub & mum, I'd expect Mitch to be the one making the ball as to his availability. And for game in Melbourne where he's gone for maybe half-a-day, he may well see that as something he's happy to do

If we skip ahead to round 4 & a Saturday night versus the Bulldogs in Adelaide - that's a match I'd be less surprised to see him miss due to parental leave, if he decides he doesn't want 3 days away from home

You are confusing Hawthorn with West Coast or the bye.

Gotta put best team available on the park.

If Atkins/Bruhn are fully ready… get them in.

They’ll also be keen on the match payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back