Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re concussion, I don't understand why a suitable helmet can't be designed and trialled then made mandatory. I will defer to the more knowledgeable here.
Yep, as Dard said it doesn't actually stop the brain rattling in the skull. Also, because players feel more 'protected' I feel like they actually end up leading with the head more, and put less effort into actually protecting their head. Just look at the NFL for example.

Re concussion, I don't understand why a suitable helmet can't be designed and trialled then made mandatory. I will defer to the more knowledgeable here.
I wore a helmet playing rugby. It didn’t do s**t except for preventing superficial wounds.

It also provided a real danger of overheating.

Still got a few concussions. And broke my C3.

Because it doesn’t stop the micro-traumas of the brain rattling in the skull. Nothing (viable) can.
That’s not strictly correct.

Those incredibly talented and inventive sports scientists at The Hangar are already working on a ground breaking technique whereby the player’s brain is removed during the course of their playing careers, with the goal being to reinsert it at the time of retirement.

But can these empty skulled players still operate at an elite AFL level?

Early trials do not look promising

9lmJUh6.gif

Because it doesn’t stop the micro-traumas of the brain rattling in the skull. Nothing (viable) can.

Yes, The brain is suspended in fluid inside a bone skull.

When the head stops suddenly the brain bashes against that bone.

Where helmets help, is in stopping the skull being crushed, and the brain mushed or having shards of bone slice into it. That is not an issue on the football field.

So helmets for motorcyclists yes, for AFL Footballers no.

Yes, The brain is suspended in fluid inside a bone skull.

When the head stops suddenly the brain bashes against that bone.

Where helmets help, is in stopping the skull being crushed, and the brain mushed or having shards of bone slice into it. That is not an issue on the football field.

So helmets for motorcyclists yes, for AFL Footballers no.
gringo2011 is that you?

Just kidding StF love your work x

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Wood replacement will be interesting considering how we dominated inside on Thursday night. There doesn't seem to be a desperate need for Brad Crouch to return (yet).

Henry's replacement is easy if Dan Butler is fit.

If King remains suspended, that is either Caminiti or Hayes and they can play relief ruck.

The Wood replacement will be interesting considering how we dominated inside on Thursday night. There doesn't seem to be a desperate need for Brad Crouch to return (yet).

If King remains suspended, that is either Caminiti or Hayes and they can play relief ruck.
Crouch won't be available by the looks of it.

Word is he was dropped because his knee wasn't 100% and then he only played 1 and a bit quarters in the VFL

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crouch needs another tidy up to his knee looking at him,Hayes hasn't played a game yet still weeks away.

Only ones that can be considered is Butler very ordinary for Sandy,Collard the same as Butler & not working hard enough off the ball,Caminiti for King,Garcia has played all games including pre-season so is fit & Schoenmaker you can't ignore his marking & kicking power.

You would think Wilson Byrnes and Hill will play exclusively on the wing. Heck maybe even NAS /Sincs will get some time. I think butler will
Come in as sub for Henry and then maybe Garcia.

Trouble with helmets, they spread the force to greater parts of the head & do not stop one from getting concussion.
Even the solid NFL style do not stop concussion, so in all probability maybe it’s better to not wear helmets at all.

Oops! Just spotted this, as usual am late to the party 🥴

“Yep, as Dard said it doesn't actually stop the brain rattling in the skull. Also, because players feel more 'protected' I feel like they actually end up leading with the head more, and put less effort into actually protecting their head. Just look at the NFL for example”

No it was deinfetly not a wtf choice, at the time it seemed it was between him Gibcus and Sinn

Don’t think anyone expected a team outside of SA to take the risk. He was one everyone thought would struggle away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back