Preview Changes vs Nth Melbourne

Predict your Thursday night melt level

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That’s just lip service, he’s training with the Bs.

It’s so Nicks can pretend he’s considering a debutant.
Only 21 trained with the As. If Smith is out (and he didn’t train in the match sim so looking likely), then it would seem one of Dowling or Curtin are up next based on his direct response to that question in the presser (Sholl also back to Bs). If we go small and don’t play Berg (who also wasn’t with the A team), then maybe we see both, but unlikely.

Only 21 trained with the As. If Smith is out (and he didn’t train in the match sim so looking likely), then it would seem one of Dowling or Curtin are up next based on his direct response to that question in the presser (Sholl also back to Bs). If we go small and don’t play Berg (who also wasn’t with the A team), then maybe we see both, but unlikely.
You’re more optimistic than me. Did you watch the presser?

He mentions Nankervis and Jones ''on a wing that can go back'' so there might be hope for Dowling - I just dont see it

But I also dont want Dowling to come in for injury and then go straight out just because - if he debuts it MUST be for 5 games guaranteed

His choice of words for Curtin in the presser were pretty clear. He was very careful to say he's "nearly ready", not "ready".
Mchenry still isn't ready and he has played 65 games now. Why are we suddenly so careful now with Curtin when we have clearly brought players in previously who weren't up to it.

The only silver lining I got is that Dowling and Curtin are definitely the next two we will see at AFL level. He says it will be soon, but that can mean anything. If I were betting on it, I think we see Dowling first and I think it will be for Smith this week.

Was also asked directly about reluctance to try anyone new this year so far and warned that you ‘don’t want to debut before fully ready’, amongst some other dribble. Basically, the complete opposite of how Hardwick treats his youth. His response is not unexpected given our selections this year, but frustrating all the same.
Yes, unlike other teams that play draftees early and make informed decisions in year 1 or 2, we give them multi year apprenticeships in the SANFL, followed by intermittment AFL selection followed by delisting.

Rinse and repeat.

Some can escape this process if they are a gun and there is a need in that position in the AFL. If not, see you in year 3!

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely, surely, surely surely Ned can’t get picked after last week.

Mind boggling that the coaches are happy to carry Ned at the expense of Curtin.
If Ned survived the Carlton game, he's never getting dropped

No human being is capable of putting in a worse performance than that (any activity, in any field) so if that's a pass mark then he's set for a lengthy career with us.

I don't watch press conferences for coaches in any other sport, is it normal for journalists to ask no good questions?

Like if a player has a stinker in the EPL or NFL, does that get brought up in the press conference? Do journalists actually ask hard questions about why certain people are playing or coaching that way?

Mchenry still isn't ready and he has played 65 games now. Why are we suddenly so careful now with Curtin when we have clearly brought players in previously who weren't up to it.
Quite a number aren't up to it and they're clogging the 22 unscathed week after week.

McFlurry wouldn't get a game for Norf, or Murphy or

We can’t drop him because he’s not ready for sanfl either.

That A team training list contained some good news at least

Nankervis slides to half back in Smith's spot. Cook up to the wing. Pedlar into the half forward role. Three good shuffles on the back of Smith's injury.

Crouch for Berry pretty straight forward. What to do with Laird?

Murphy to start in SANFL, Sholl in SANFL or sub again.

McHenry survives but hopefully the day draws nearer.

Not sure how you got that from the A team shown. Borlase still in As, Sholl relegated to Bs.

Pedlar also didn’t play last week and is in the As, he can’t be an out… he’s definitely playing by the looks of it.

Only 21 listed for the A team, unless we are going smaller then you would think Berg is the 22nd and then Dowling 23rd.

I posted that response literally a minute or two after someone posted what the A/B teams were in the match sim.

That being said, normally if Butts makes it through training and pulls up alright, he's in, although against Kangas they may opt to rest him, along with Smith.

If we're going off the A/B teams then... ?

Ins: Crouch, Pedlar, Berg, Dowling/Curtin
Outs: Berry, Smith, Gollant, Sholl

Crouch for Berry is like for like, with Smith gone you'd think Jones/Nank moves to HB and Pedlar moves to wing. I'd prefer Jones to stay further up the ground because I reckon he's been good with I50 pressure, an area we're sorely lacking.
Berg for Gollant, Kangas aren't super tall in their D50, and I think the Berg provides a better (cement hands not brilliant) contested marking option and can chop out in Ruck. Our contested marking is woeful at the moment.
If Sholl being in the B team means he's not playing then again, we might opt to bring Nank back into Defence as well, or finally give Curtin a crack back there, or heaven forbid give Dowling a crack on the wing!

My guess is that Dowling more likely to come in for Sholl, and Nank goes back to HB with Jones going back to replace Smith

Edit: Cook moving to wing and Pedlar Half Forward makes more sense, but Pedlar's been woeful in that position...(Does Cook have an engine for a wing role?)

Last edited:
I don't watch press conferences for coaches in any other sport, is it normal for journalists to ask no good questions?

Like if a player has a stinker in the EPL or NFL, does that get brought up in the press conference? Do journalists actually ask hard questions about why certain people are playing or coaching that way?
I thought the question about his reluctance to try anyone new was good, mentioning how supporters are frustrated seeing the same players recycled each week. First time I’ve seen that asked this year.

You’re more optimistic than me. Did you watch the presser?
Yeah I watched it. He was asked directly about who replaces Smith and Dowling then Curtin were the only two he mentioned as possibilities. It’s the first time I’ve seen him mention them in a presser as being close without the journo first bringing it up. He also said Smith’s training today would determine if he plays, given he didn’t play the match sim he’s clearly out.

'' Murphy yeah Murphy possibly available as well - Murphs been out for 3-4 weeks - its a matter of how much footy can you miss and come back in at AFL level''
Concerning. It's not even a question of his poor form on if he deserves straight back in, just if they think he can get through a game or not

How long was Soligo out that meant there was absolutely no way he could possibly be picked for a full game?

Thought that Bigman implied that maybe Curtin needs a required course of action/treatment if the knee is still not “ready”. If he is injured why is he still playing SANFL and if not why is he not being considered for AFL.
Nicks is really stuffing up and he either doesn’t realise or is too stubborn to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank goodness, some sanity

He was clearly struggling last week.

Hopefully Jones slides to half back
Ive mentioned this before and I'm not blaming Smith directly

But He, Talia, Sloane and a number of players of that era always put themselves first, its never the team or the club.

I partially blame that on AFCs system of making players wait to debut and make it harder to play games earlier, so at the end of your career, why would you want to make it easier on other players? Why miss more games.

The rest of the blame sits with the board/selection panel who reinforce that selfish belief by picking these guys at all cost.

Yeah I watched it. He was asked directly about who replaces Smith and Dowling then Curtin were the only two he mentioned as possibilities. It’s the first time I’ve seen him mention them in a presser as being close without the journo first bringing it up. He also said Smith’s training today would determine if he plays, given he didn’t play the match sim he’s clearly out.
He also talked about shuffling it around with the team in place and moving Jones or Nankervis back there.

Concerning. It's not even a question of his poor form on if he deserves straight back in, just if they think he can get through a game or not

How long was Soligo out that meant there was absolutely no way he could possibly be picked for a full game?
He was back running after 3 weeks, wouldn’t have completed all of the trainings but in terms of fitness he was running.

Yes, unlike other teams that play draftees early and make informed decisions in year 1 or 2, we give them multi year apprenticeships in the SANFL, followed by intermittment AFL selection followed by delisting.

Rinse and repeat.

Some can escape this process if they are a gun and there is a need in that position in the AFL. If not, see you in year 3!

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Playing the bottom side; if not now, when do you blood the pair of youngsters.

So did I and it sounded like lip service to me. He was clear to point out they had stuff to work on and for supporters to make sure they watch SANFL games

Back