MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

so anyone who disagrees with the penalty or the consistency of the penalty is not a decent human being.......ok got it

No, but anyone who downplays it as just ‘blokes being blokes’ has a lot of work to do.

This has nothing to do with what you just said. This is about the penalty fitting the crime. Glad your proud to be gay, mate, really am. But there is no way in hell that calling someone a homophobic slur is worse than giving someone a potentially life long injury. If you don't know the difference, then you've lost it the plot and need to get off your moral high horse. This is about consistency.
You're making a false equivalence.

As a suns fan and member, this sucks but if he said something homophobic, he deserves a suspension.
Should it be 5 weeks? Well if the AFL said future cases would get more, then i guess thats their policy and so be it

but

i guarantee if in Round 24, if one of Daicos, Kurnow, Neale, Heeney, Rankine, Butters, Greene, Dangerfield, Petracca, Reid, Martin, Bont - you get the picture, suddenly that more weeks for future offences, will evaporate...
And thats the disappointing aspect

I said many, not none. And you really want to compare that with people who have committed suicide due to mental health issues that aren't related to physical actions?

Why would you not make the comparison? You know how many people across the planet have their entire mental health destroyed by head contact? It doesn't even take many, a few is enough to have concussion symptoms for life.

You're right, it's nobody's business. But I don't think players take their wives and girlfriends to the Brownlow, thank them in their speeches, run up and kiss them after a great game because they think their relationships are our business.
They do it because they want to share all the great stuff and at times heartbreak in this game with the person they love the most. Our gay players don't have that freedom and I find it hard to believe that not a single player has come out because they're just all really private.

So what do you want? Do you think we should force them to take their bf's?

How exactly would you fix the problem?

Why would you not make the comparison? You know how many people across the planet have their entire mental health destroyed by head contact? It doesn't even take many, a few is enough to have concussion symptoms for life.
My entire comment was against the Claims that a physical hit can hurt, while words don't.

Which is bullshit, the amount of people that suicide over emotional and verbal abuse/bullying completely contradicts that. And that number will be far higher than the amount of people that have suicided because of the affects of CTE, or other head trauma.

So what do you want? Do you think we should force them to take their bf's?

How exactly would you fix the problem?
I would love for them to feel safe to absolutely. As to how to fix the problem? I think taking a stand against casual homophobia would be a great place to start. Oh look, thats what this whole thing is about.

Also, quick question; how on earth did you read my post and come to the conclusion that I think the AFL should force gay players to take their boyfriends to awards nights? Just curious.

I figured the two nothing stories we have had in the last few days like the premiership rings and the 20 team comp story were designed to get the media and public distracted from a bigger story, I just didn't know what that bigger story was.

I didn't think it was the Sassy Scott story nor is Tyler Brockman and his "car accident" a big enough name, but when I saw this story I knew this was the one the AFL wanted to sweep under the carpet.

Give me a break, I and members of my family have been verbally vilified whether sexual or racial but we choose to ignore what idiots may say. It's called resilience.

Hmm, the people being abused just need to 'harden up'. A novel strategy.

Maybe the focus should be on the people dishing out the abuse, no? Just a thought.

I would love for them to feel safe to absolutely. As to how to fix the problem? I think taking a stand against casual homophobia would be a great place to start. Oh look, thats what this whole thing is about.

Also, quick question; how on earth did you read my post and co.e to the conclusion that I think the AFL should force gay players to take their boyfriends to awards nights? Just curious.

Yes, I'm aware of that but that still doesn't answer your previous post because a player still hasn't outed himself

Obviously it's a very complicated issue and a deeply personal one for the individuals involved. I don't blame them for not wanting to be the centre of a ridiculous media circus

And there's been plenty of players who haven't take a female to the brownlow, happens every year. Perhaps it has already happened but we're not aware of it because the individuals never won the award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really have an issue with the penalty but its a bit farcical that you can belt someone on field and potentially get a lower ban.

clearly the mod in here that think's he moral judge
Yeah clearly, because my post about how words can cause real damage to people was deleted.

A post which was also liked by the Mods from other boards that you're trying to have a go at.

Strange how the mods have allowed this whole thread to be filled with people saying "Yeah but you get less for a physical action" but pointing out that words can do real damage to someone is apparently off topic/playing the man.

Your persecution complex might be a bit off here.

Wow. My post deleted for having an opinion….. interesting tolerance there by the mods

So any chance the AFL can stop lecturing me on how to be a better person and to instead kinda just focus on themselves for a bit please?
But they are not lecturing you. They are imposing a penalty on an AFL player.

Smack someone in the back of the head cop a week.
Call someone a bad name and cop 5 weeks.

Unless he went on 90 second rant calling someone every name under the sun at the top of his lungs this is overkill.

Smack someone in the back of the head cop a week.
Call someone a bad name and cop 5 weeks.

Unless he went on 90 second rant calling someone every name under the sun at the top of his lungs this is overkill.
This gets the players' attention though, doesn't it? Hopefully the huge penalty means there won't be any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back