News Rioli slap cops a 2 week ban.

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't a "light" slap. He flushed Murphy right in the jaw, which is dangerous against a player who has a concussion history.

It's clearly 'medium' impact.

Intentional, Medium Impact and High/Groin is 2 weeks.

If it was Daicos or Dusty slapping it’s not two weeks - the VFL wouldn’t have it, we all know that.

How is the 2 weeks then?

IMG_6921.jpeg

If it was Daicos or Dusty slapping it’s not two weeks - the VFL wouldn’t have it, we all know that.

How is the 2 weeks then?

View attachment 1751905

For mine, Pickett should have got more that 2 weeks, as it was deemed "Careless" by the MRO, which was a soft call IMHO. Should be "Intentional" (feet off ground and flung himself at Smith) which is 3 weeks (with High Impact and High Contact).

Had Smith have been knocked out, it would have been 4+ weeks and probably 6.

Pointing out one dodgy classification by the MRO doesn't mean that you should get a precedent-discount for a physical strike to the head.

For mine, Pickett should have got more that 2 weeks, as it was deemed "Careless" by the MRO, which was a soft call IMHO. Should be "Intentional" (feet off ground and flung himself at Smith) which is 3 weeks (with High Impact and High Contact).

Had Smith have been knocked out, it would have been 4+ weeks and probably 6.

Pointing out one dodgy classification by the MRO doesn't mean that you should get a precedent-discount for a physical strike to the head.

Dusty elbow to the guts a week or so back, nothing to see here. It was a harder hit than a slap.

360_F_294214029_gMQ1hJIsOOUmbPQtn9HPd32sKIwP3wjZ.jpg

Being hit in the jaw from a swinging arm with this part of the palm is not a ******* slap.

And if you think it wouldn't stun you when you're not expecting it then I suggest you get someone to do it to you and see how you go.

View attachment 1752115

Being hit in the jaw from a swinging arm with this part of the palm is not a ******* slap.

And if you think it wouldn't stun you when you're not expecting it then I suggest you get someone to do it to you and see how you go.

Why wasn't he expecting it? He had two hands up around Riolis jaw. The same against StKilda where he was throwing hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphys also given Rioli a decent whack to the lower neck area in the exact same incident, yet doesn't get cited.
It was at worst technically a free kick for jumper holding and was most definitely not reportable in any way.

Rioli's action was an intentional strike to the head and worth every bit of 2 weeks.

You Port supporters need to stop whinging, but then I sense that is your natural collective disposition on a host of issues. You're the English cricket supporters of the AFL!

Dusty elbow to the guts a week or so back, nothing to see here. It was a harder hit than a slap.
For me it is a week for Martin based on the MRO calculations. Again, pointing out bad classifications by the MRO doesn't mean that an intentional and forceful slap to someone's jaw that decked them isn't worth 2 weeks. It's worth 2 weeks all day every day!

For me it is a week for Martin based on the MRO calculations. Again, pointing out bad classifications by the MRO doesn't mean that an intentional and forceful slap to someone's jaw that decked them isn't worth 2 weeks. It's worth 2 weeks all day every day!

Decked please. Made the most of it.

It's everyone else's fault, despite the fact it's the same bloke getting whacked. I feel like there is a common factor in these incidents and his initials are N.M.
What exactly did Murphy do to deserve getting whacked? If you say it’s because he was holding or scragging, then there’s dozens of players, including Geelong players, (I know it’s hard to believe), who deserve to be whacked every week.

Bit of a common theme with Rioli. Outed for a hit on Jordan Ridley earlier this season, and has copped suspensions at WCE for similar offences. Clearly has anger control issues. Certainly not the worst incident you would see, but totally unnecessary, and penalty about right.

Last edited:
I would've thought 1 week since it was deliberate, high, and off the ball but didn't look like there was much force in it. Having said that, anyone who's watched boxing or MMA knows that it can be hard to tell on camera how much force was really behind a strike.

Since it's happened twice to Murphy now I'd agree that he must be stirring up forwards with niggles but it's really no excuse. Up to the field umps and MRO to determine if Murphy's breaking the rules, the shrieking of "but he started it!" from grown adults is just sad.

I think it might be about time Nathan wakes up to himself and realises he’s an AFL footballer, not an EPL soccer player. If a free kick was rewarded to Rioli before this incident nothing would have happened. One week for the action, one week because it happened to a Collingwood player is the only reason I can see as to why it got two weeks.

I think it might be about time Nathan wakes up to himself and realises he’s an AFL footballer, not an EPL soccer player. If a free kick was rewarded to Rioli before this incident nothing would have happened. One week for the action, one week because it happened to a Collingwood player is the only reason I can see as to why it got two weeks.
Fitzey, there’s a small village on a tiny island in the Outer Hebrides, that’s recently lost it’s Village Idiot. You’re eminently qualified, probably over qualified in fact, to slot into that role. 😄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back