Preview Changes for round 6 - Gold Coast Vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

A change in fwd structure. I like Carltons as the best example of mobile fwds combined with one power fwd & a resting ruckman who actually rests there (not on the pine). Apart from Pav we just dont have the cattle in the talls.

I´d say Kep comes in.

He would of jagged two ungainly goals in that crowded forward line today.

Hope Ross doesn´t fall for the old ruse and put our best defender, Mcpharlap, up forward.

Out: Anthony, Griffin, Dawson
In: Spurr, Sandilands, Silvagni

We better get the next 2 wins to keep up our confidence.

Seppo, I don't think anyone disagrees in saying that should happen, but mate, do you honestly believe that Dawson will be dropped? In all seriousness, wheather he deserves to be or not, do you think Ross is going to drop him next week?

Really not sure why Dawson gets dropped.

Anthony is a no brainer.

Provides no attack when he has the ball in his hand. All he can do well at the moment is spoil and crunch his body into forwards.
He is a liability when the ball goes to ground, I paid particular attention to his movements and he just stood there ball watching and didn't even try to apply pressure to Carlton players. He's gets mismatched in his assigned opponent because he's so slow to run back when we turnover on the rebound. He also gave away 2 silly frees for holds that could have been avoided.

Give Sandi another week off.

Out Anthony, In Silvagni.

We were good tonight, loved seeing us run out another 4th quarter. The game was lost in our in-accuracy in front of goals, something that haunted us in 2011.

Out: Anthony, Neale
IN: Walters, Silvagni

I don't see any reason to risk Sandi against GC. Let him have another week to rest, we need to manage him and Griffin was more than acceptable tonight.

I don't think Neale is quite upto yet and I think Walters can give us that spark, could be a super sub.

Silvagni to play his first game for the year.

Also I really don't want McPharlin up forward, didn't like it when we did it a couple of years ago and still don't. He is not a forward and honestly can't kick for goal, he always pokes at the ball when kicking for goal.

Hope Ross doesn´t fall for the old ruse and put our best defender, Mcpharlap, up forward.

Agreed, hopefully he didn't show enough to be moved there permenantly.

We can afford to rest Sandi for another week, if he's not 100% then rest him.

Nothing too drastic just yet.

Out Anthony
In Silvagni (Finally)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Provides no attack when he has the ball in his hand. All he can do well at the moment is spoil and crunch his body into forwards.
He is a liability when the ball goes to ground, I paid particular attention to his movements and he just stood there ball watching and didn't even try to apply pressure to Carlton players. He's gets mismatched in his assigned opponent because he's so slow to run back when we turnover on the rebound. He also gave away 2 silly frees for holds that could have been avoided.

He also did a few excellent things spoiling, smothering, reading the play that I've never seen Silvagni do. You're good with the highlights clip, Seppo. Drum up some video where Silvagni leaves his man to kill the contest. Or smothers and gathers the ball in one motion to deliver (unfortunately to no one up forward).

Bradley is no better than Anthony. I would play McPharlin forward and bring Silvangi into defense. I know that McPharlin is a much better defender but it would make the team better balanced.

Did we not learn from this when Connolly played Mcpharlap forward for 2 years and nearly ruined his career. He showed nothing as a forward and it robbed us of 2 years of one of the best CHB´s in the competition.

There are bigger problems in the forward line namely the movement of the ball into the forward line (soo slow), inability to kick straight tonight.

Relying on a big forward to take 1-2 contested marks to win a game is one element to have, but its a lot more than that.

He also did a few excellent things spoiling, smothering, reading the play that I've never seen Silvagni do.

Agree with this, what he does defensively when he doesn't have possession is decent. But when he has the footy it's massive heart in mouth. Sort of don't know what to make of him as a player, does some good things defensively but turnovers especially when deep obviously really burn a team.

Out: Anthony, Neale
IN: Walters, Silvagni

I don't see any reason to risk Sandi against GC. Let him have another week to rest, we need to manage him and Griffin was more than acceptable tonight.

I don't think Neale is quite upto yet and I think Walters can give us that spark, could be a super sub.

Silvagni to play his first game for the year.

Also I really don't want McPharlin up forward, didn't like it when we did it a couple of years ago and still don't. He is not a forward and honestly can't kick for goal, he always pokes at the ball when kicking for goal.

Too early for Walters, he has only just started at "selected training sessions."
When does Mora start playing WAFL?

Did we not learn from this when Connolly played Mcpharlap forward for 2 years and nearly ruined his career. He showed nothing as a forward and it robbed us of 2 years of one of the best CHB´s in the competition.

There are bigger problems in the forward line namely the movement of the ball into the forward line (soo slow), inability to kick straight tonight.

Relying on a big forward to take 1-2 contested marks to win a game is one element to have, but its a lot more than that.
Only Pav can mark it forward now we need another target. I hated it when Connolly did it but I just think the team would be better overall with another target forward. Silvangi is a much better player than either Anthony or Bradley.

He has been worse than Anthony this year in total. I think both should be gone at the end of the season.

I think we need to keep one as backup next year but there's no future for either as a KPF for us so we need to face up to that and look at other options in the short term. Either;
go shorter and try Pitt and/or Roberton up there or give Silvagni a couple of weeks even though he didn't do much up forward in the 2's.
go real short and use Walters and Neale.
once Mora comes back, move Fyfe up forward.

I feel bad for Anthony, that out on the full may have been his last kick in AFL footy. I hope he doesn't lose it completely.

Griffin's played some pretty good games for the club, but gee he was s**t house tonight especially early.

Out - Anthony, Griffin
In - Bradley, Silvagni

It'll be interesting to see who plays well in the WAFL this week, since there's definitely a chance for someone who wants a game.

Personally, at this point, I'd go:

OUT: Anthony IN: Silvagni --> play Silvagni forward and hope we finally have a good contested mark in the forward line.

OUT: Griffin IN: Bradley --> not that Griffin did too badly, but I think Kep gives us more mobility.

I feel bad for Anthony, that out on the full may have been his last kick in AFL footy. I hope he doesn't lose it completely.

He is one strange cat is Anthony. Rosco was interviewed at 3QT and referred to a terrible turnover that started the rot, which was obviously Anthony's crazy hanball shenanigans that he was up to in the opening minutes of the 3rd. If only he went back and kicked well on that one and just went back on the next kick at goal rather than fluff around with the man on the mark. In between all of that was a terrible brain fade free kick. After his 1 goal 6 behind game for Subiaco a couple of weeks back he is a goner.

Hopefully Kepler and Silvani play well tomorrow. I'd play them both against the coasters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back