AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Has PCL been confirmed?

Yes you can play with a PCL deficient knee. They used to do it all the time, such as Smith when we recruited him. Tim Cahill is another. Ruckmen used to cop them all the time before they brought in the centre circle.

(You can play with an ACL deficient knee for that matter, but that's not the done thing in the AFL.)

That said, the trend these days has shifted towards surgery. Would be season done, but would get a decent preseason in.
Zaka had surgery for his last year.

Last edited:
Has PCL been confirmed?

Yes you can play with a PCL deficient knee. They used to do it all the time, such as Smith when we recruited him. Tim Cahill is another. Ruckmen used to cop them all the time before they brought in the centre circle.

(You can play with an ACL deficient knee for that matter, but that's not the done thing in the AFL.)

That said, the trend these days has shifted towards surgery. Would be season done, but would get a decent preseason in.

I've got a stretched ACL (it happened post-op, but before I had played my first game back), but managed to play 4 more seasons of footy.

I wouldn't have wanted to try to play without the op though.

Has PCL been confirmed?

Nah, we know he was rubbing the side of his knee, club said it’s not an ACL, and there’s some video of when it happened (seemed to be two incidents);

By the end of the game he had like an elastic sleeve from mid thigh to mid calf and a brace on the same area that would certainly prevent lateral movement though I’m not sure what other purposes it may serve.

My original thought was that it looked similar to Tim Kelly last week, which turned out to be an MCL, excepting that it might be the outside of the knee from the way it twisted, but I’m not in allied health or anything close to it so it’s little more than a guess.

Nah, we know he was rubbing the side of his knee, club said it’s not an ACL, and there’s some video of when it happened (seemed to be two incidents);

By the end of the game he had like an elastic sleeve from mid thigh to mid calf and a brace on the same area that would certainly prevent lateral movement though I’m not sure what other purposes it may serve.

My original thought was that it looked similar to Tim Kelly last week, which turned out to be an MCL, excepting that it might be the outside of the knee from the way it twisted, but I’m not in allied health or anything close to it so it’s little more than a guess.
Terrible for him, was having a very nice year yet again. Has been building for the last few weeks, playing a very team orientated mid role.

Obviously Shiel is around a month to a month and half off (if all goes well) but who replaces him in the middle do we think? Langford looked solid in there last night but I don't think he's the most logical for the next half of the year.

Terrible for him, was having a very nice year yet again. Has been building for the last few weeks, playing a very team orientated mid role.

Obviously Shiel is around a month to a month and half off (if all goes well) but who replaces him in the middle do we think? Langford looked solid in there last night but I don't think he's the most logical for the next half of the year.
Langford, Durham, Ham, Zaharakis if fit. Walla. Waterman. Stringer. Perkins? Cox? Cahill... Heppell 😅 I mean we’re scrounging a bit, none of them have really trained there either recently, much or ever, but there are a few options.

Langford, Durham, Ham, Zaharakis if fit. Walla. Waterman. Stringer. Perkins? Cox? Cahill... Heppell 😅 I mean we’re scrounging a bit, none of them have really trained there either recently, much or ever, but there are a few options.
Could be an interesting prospect seeing Durham this early, I'm about it though. Nothing to lose given our developmenr year. More likely to see Langford kept in there I think, plus Waterman & Perkins. Not sure I'd shift Heppell back in there, he's a comfortable head down back now. Definitely scrounging though with injuries.

Could be an interesting prospect seeing Durham this early, I'm about it though. Nothing to lose given our developmenr year. More likely to see Langford kept in there I think, plus Waterman & Perkins. Not sure I'd shift Heppell back in there, he's a comfortable head down back now. Definitely scrounging though with injuries.
Durham would definitely be an interesting one, some of the chatter about him from our recruiting department (for whatever that is worth) was that he should slot in nicely and won't take too long to get up to speed because he comes from a similar program... Richmond's VFL team.

Going off the presser though, during the game we put Perkins in the midfield and Langford and Stringer both got more minutes (I haven't watched my replay yet but that's one of the things I want to eyeball). Ham was saying he wanted to play more inside in his re-signing email or at the end of pre-season around that time.

So that would have to be the shortlist imo.

Durham would definitely be an interesting one, some of the chatter about him from our recruiting department (for whatever that is worth) was that he should slot in nicely and won't take too long to get up to speed because he comes from a similar program... Richmond's VFL team.

Going off the presser though, during the game we put Perkins in the midfield and Langford and Stringer both got more minutes (I haven't watched my replay yet but that's one of the things I want to eyeball). Ham was saying he wanted to play more inside in his re-signing email or at the end of pre-season around that time.

So that would have to be the shortlist imo.
I'd love to see Durham nice and early, would get some buzz about debuting yet another young player for the year so that's encouraging to hear about his likely transition into the system.

Perkins looked to work himself into the game in the second half last night. His inside work looks really solid for a first year player so I wouldn't mind seeing him backed in for more midfield time. Perhaps that's what he needs, to take the reins a bit more. I refer back to his first quarter on Anzac Day for this.

Ham would be interesting, I just think he looks to skinny to play in there yet. Needs to bulk up more. Might get bodied too much.

Jon Ralph on Fox sports this arvo said a PCL strain confirmed, normally 6-8 weeks depending on the strain.

Better than an ACL for sure.
Doubt we'll see him for the rest of the season on that timeframe. If we're not looking like playing finals by than, may as well just put him on ice and get the knee cherry ripe for the preseason.

Doubt we'll see him for the rest of the season on that timeframe. If we're not looking like playing finals by than, may as well just put him on ice and get the knee cherry ripe for the preseason.
At 8 weeks there would still be 5 rounds left. A month worth of footy is still worth getting him back for

If we’re still a chance of making the 8 I reckon he comes back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 8 weeks there would still be 5 rounds left. A month worth of footy is still worth getting him back for
Yeah but if we're not looking like pushing, I'd hope they'd play it safe and just rest him. Especially with our luck around injuries as of recent and especially because it's a knee and how tedious they can be if not healed fully/properly.

Yeah but if we're not looking like pushing, I'd hope they'd play it safe and just rest him. Especially with our luck around injuries as of recent and especially because it's a knee and how tedious they can be if not healed fully/properly.

If he's fit and healed, then he plays. Pretty straight forward.

Jon Ralph on Fox sports this arvo said a PCL strain confirmed, normally 6-8 weeks depending on the strain.

Better than an ACL for sure.
No he speculated that it could be a sprain and if it is he may miss 6-8 weeks. On the News tonight they interviewed McGrath and he said MRI scan tomorrow and they can’t be certain yet what it is.

No he speculated that it could be a sprain and if it is he may miss 6-8 weeks. On the News tonight they interviewed McGrath and he said MRI scan tomorrow and they can’t be certain yet what it is.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we never listen to Jon Ralph.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we never listen to Jon Ralph.

This follows on a week later from when Ralph blatantly made up Stringer’s salary requests.

I find it interesting how little time Damien Barrett has for Ralph when he discussed on Barrett and Hutchy’s Sounding Board podcast. Repeatedly says that Ralph is only capable of piggy backing off the work of other journalists and has no journalistic talent at all.

The one silver lining is that typically they are pretty quick to diagnose a acl rupture at the ground. So the fact that it hasn’t been raised is somewhat promising.

This follows on a week later from when Ralph blatantly made up Stringer’s salary requests.

I find it interesting how little time Damien Barrett has for Ralph when he discussed on Barrett and Hutchy’s Sounding Board podcast. Repeatedly says that Ralph is only capable of piggy backing off the work of other journalists and has no journalistic talent at all.
Sheesh…..you know you’re in trouble when DB doesn’t rate you as a journo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back