Opinion Men's 2023 Leadership Group - Merrett/McGrath captain/vice

Who should be in the 2023 leadership group? [Pick up to 7]

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McGrath needs to work on his own game, make himself an integral part of the side
definitely an element of that, but i think also we've come to realise he's excellent in a HB role and we'll leave him there to play his best footy. so that will come from that, and he can build on his leadership without having to be a round plug in a square hole.

"We're fortunate to have a handful of guys who are capable [to be captain]. But we also need to have a really good understanding that we need better depth in our leadership. We need to bring some guys through," Scott told AFL.com.au.

"Arguably as important as our official leaders in 2023 will be the program we put underneath with those players in the mid-20s age demographic so they can be the next leaders of the club. Part of the reason I wanted to keep a really open mind is I think once the club makes decisions, they're hard to undo. So we have to spend 12 months really developing our leaders and appealing to their strengths.

"We do have a lot of players who lead really strongly in certain areas and other players who do it quite differently and I think that shared leadership model is really important for us. We want Zach Merrett and Andy McGrath to lead where they're good, and we want other players to lead in other areas.

"Zach and Andy are highly driven and motivated players and we have other players who are more laidback but they're really important in terms of the group dynamic. Dyson certainly fits into that mould as well."

"In the five months I've been here, he has not put a foot wrong, he has led by example on the track and again, I always knew he was a good player, but I've been pleasantly surprised on the upside," Scott said.

"He's one of those players who really rallies players together and our club has been through some difficult times over the last little period and he's been a mainstay in keeping that together," he said.

What I wanted came true and I couldn't be happier. Common sense prevailed and that's rare with us. Gotta give it to Heppell for letting it go even though I can't help but feel like it took a change in coaching to pull the trigger.

Nevertheless, it was the bandaid that had to be pulled if we were to take ourselves seriously.

As for the next captain - do not make the same mistake again. This group won't want someone who isn't a "she'll be right m8"... they dont want someone who will tell them like it is.

Which is exactly what this group needs. No more she'll be rights. Time to make it right. The laidback and easy going nature of our club has to end here.

No captain. Do the St Kilda rotation thing for the year.

Merret is not a captain.

Give McGrath a year to settle in defence then give it to him in 2024.

Could this be a potential leadership group:?

Merrett (C.)
Redman and McGrath (VC.)
Draper, Perkins, Laverde and Ridley. (DVC.)
I’d suggest

Merrett (C)
McGrath (VC)
Redman, Langford, Parish, Wright (LG)

Also maybe Shiel as LG possibly instead of Parish or Langford.

Last time it was bought up I voted Redman, again I'll vote Redman.

As a player on field he has the ability to turn a game around and had done a few times this year.
He didn't start the season on fire in the first couple of rounds but really picked up his pace and excelled. A captain should be someone the team can look to in a time of need, when the chips are down for them to have the ability to drive the team forward. I feel Redman would be highly suitable.

Add in the puff piece about him putting his hand up for captaincy recently, who knows If that was the club putting the feelers out?

I'd also be openly accepting of Merrett, but found he'd played a lot of his better footy with less responsibility off field.

Will support the clubs decision either way, I'd be surprised if we plucked another player outside of these two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

w

It might not happen though. Often when they are out, they are out completely. Having said that, he will still be a respected leader in the club.
Watson was in the leadership group in 2017. Heppell has said he wants to emulate Jobe and be able to support the next guy while he’s still got some of his playing career left to do so. He mentions this as one of the reasons he wanted to step down now and not go around again.

Lloyd and Hird both retired as captain so since Heppell isn’t retiring he can’t really follow their precedent.

Before Hird I don’t think there was a leadership group as a concept in the AFL, so stepping down as captain while still having some formal recognition as a leader wasn’t really possible before that. This seems to suggest St Kilda did the leadership group thing first in 1995 and didn’t see success with it until 1997. Hird was captain from 1998…

So it might not happen, but at Essendon that’s how it’s been done for as long as it’s been possible to be done that way.

And on top of that, Scott has been pretty clear on how much he rates Heppell as a leader, and he also mentioned that Heppell was still the best overall leader at the club according to player feedback since Scott arrived as well. So unless Heppell really doesn’t want it, he’ll be in the leadership group, and possibly even as vice captain (if the team photo is anything to go by).

Watson was in the leadership group in 2017. Heppell has said he wants to emulate Jobe and be able to support the next guy while he’s still got some of his playing career left to do so. He mentions this as one of the reasons he wanted to step down now and not go around again.

Lloyd and Hird both retired as captain so since Heppell isn’t retiring he can’t really follow their precedent.

Before Hird I don’t think there was a leadership group as a concept in the AFL, so stepping down as captain while still having some formal recognition as a leader wasn’t really possible before that. This seems to suggest St Kilda did the leadership group thing first in 1995 and didn’t see success with it until 1997. Hird was captain from 1998…

So it might not happen, but at Essendon that’s how it’s been done for as long as it’s been possible to be done that way.

And on top of that, Scott has been pretty clear on how much he rates Heppell as a leader, and he also mentioned that Heppell was still the best overall leader at the club according to player feedback since Scott arrived as well. So unless Heppell really doesn’t want it, he’ll be in the leadership group, and possibly even as vice captain (if the team photo is anything to go by).
Ok

Hird didn't retire as captain, he handed the reigns to Llyod for 06 and 07, with David Hille stepping up as captain when Llyod tore his hamstring.

C Merrett
VC Pigeon
LG Redman Draper Wright

Since i last posted in December Ive swapped out Langford to bring Wright in. I think with his ability to drag the team along with him and instill confidence in the group is important. Draper and Redman have it too.

Pidge is a natural leader but i think he needs to settle and have some really solid seasons in the backline, establish himself as an elite small defender

Merrett will thrive as captain. He'll improve as a player too. He'll play at a high standard well into his 30s.

Draper is a guy that i think could dethrone Zach after a couple of years though, and overtake McGrath in the process. He just has that Aura.

I liked Hobbs first year but he is a long way off captaincy discussions.

I used to think Ridley had potential but he seems like a quiet achiever not really suited a leadership role as it stands Needs to find that 2020 form and confidence

C Merrett
VC Pigeon
LG Redman Draper Wright

Since i last posted in December Ive swapped out Langford to bring Wright in. I think with his ability to drag the team along with him and instill confidence in the group is important. Draper and Redman have it too.

Pidge is a natural leader but i think he needs to settle and have some really solid seasons in the backline, establish himself as an elite small defender

Merrett will thrive as captain. He'll improve as a player too. He'll play at a high standard well into his 30s.

Draper is a guy that i think could dethrone Zach after a couple of years though, and overtake McGrath in the process. He just has that Aura.

I liked Hobbs first year but he is a long way off captaincy discussions.

I used to think Ridley had potential but he seems like a quiet achiever not really suited a leadership role as it stands Needs to find that 2020 form and confidence
i dont mind Hobbs in the LT though. Nothing wrong if a kid is driving your standards, leadership, etc, if you foster it in a way that makes it meaningful and doesn't lose the group entirely.

Id be happy with Merrett as C, McGrath VC & Redman, Ridley and Hobbs in the LG
I don't mind the Wright shout out as well.

Ridley Should be well a head of McGrath to be in the leadership group. McGrath really needs to establish him self at an above par AFL player.

Congratulations to the new skipper
Essendon Hospitality & Events
Zach Merrett appointed as Captain
The Essendon Football Club is proud to announce Zach Merrett has been appointed Captain.
Merrett, who has played 184 games with the Bombers, succeeds Dyson Heppell, who last week announced his decision to step down from the captaincy to focus on his on-field performance.
Merrett is Essendon’s 41st Captain in its VFL/AFL history.
Talented defender Andrew McGrath has been appointed Vice-Captain.
Hailing from Cobden in Victoria’s south-west, Merrett joined the Bombers in the 2013 NAB AFL National Draft as selection 26. After making his senior debut in round one, 2014, he quickly became a pivotal part of Essendon’s midfield and in recent seasons has cemented his position as one of the competition’s most influential midfielders.
Over his nine seasons with Essendon, the 27-year-old has won three Crichton Medals as Essendon’s Best and Fairest and has earned two All-Australian guernseys.
“It is a huge honour to be selected as the next Captain of Essendon,” Merrett said.
“Some of the finest names in Australian football have been captains of Essendon. From Reynolds to Clarke, Daniher, Hird and Heppell, it’s humbling to join this list of champions of Essendon.
This is a great club with a great future, and I look forward to playing my role as an on-field and off-field leader. I feel very humble to have been given this opportunity, and I thank Brad Scott, the coaching staff, football department and my team-mates for their confidence.
“This is a privilege which I am very grateful for and am very much looking forward to. There’s great energy around the group. With Andy and I as captains, supported by a group of emerging leaders, we are all united and aligned in our vision to take us back to being a successful football club.
“This is a journey for all Essendon people – we’re bringing everyone along for the ride and we are working really hard to make our members and supporters proud of this team again.
“I also thank Dyson Heppell who is a great mate, and who has led the Bombers with such distinction over six seasons. He has worked hard behind the scenes to get us to where we are today, and I hope we can reward his commitment with some great wins in 2023.”
Merrett served as Vice-Captain last season after holding leadership positions at the club since 2016 and in recent years has captained the Bombers when Dyson Heppell has been unavailable.
Senior Coach Brad Scott said Zach Merrett is the perfect leader to take this young group forward this season.
“Being appointed the captain of an AFL club is a great achievement for an individual player. It’s an enormous endorsement from your playing group and coaching staff, judged over time based on the actions you demonstrate,” Scott said.
“Zach is a highly driven and motivated player who leads by example on and off the field with his relentless pursuit for success. He demonstrates all the values we want in our Captain and his appointment highlights the confidence we have in him to take us forward.
“This is an exciting time for our football club as change presents opportunity. Zach and Andy are outstanding leaders who will progress this football club setting and demanding high standards. We’re equally as excited to identify the next group of players who will create great depth in the leadership at the club. We have a growing group of leaders at Essendon who are driving high performance.”
Essendon undertook a leadership process under new Senior Coach Brad Scott that provided players the opportunity to identify the key values and qualities they want in their leaders. The squad and football staff then voted on candidates who best demonstrated these values before a recommendation was presented by the football department.
The Essendon Board ratified Merrett’s and McGrath’s appointments.
Merrett and McGrath were standouts in the leadership process.
Heppell’s decision on Friday to stand down as Essendon Captain meant that he was removed from the leadership process. Heppell will continue to support the two leaders through the transition.
Essendon will continue to strengthen its leadership program and identify the next wave of leaders but will not appoint any other official leaders for this season.
Merrett will lead Essendon in its first practice game against Gold Coast SUNS at Metricon Outer Oval this Thursday, February 24.

Posted on BB

??

Back